Something new to do in Belize

taffy12

I'm looking for suggestions for my bored family that's considering not even getting off the ship in Belize. We've wandered the little tourist village every time we've gone - we're unimpressed (unless anything new - any fun bars or restaurants, perhaps - has opened in the past year). We've made entertainment out of riding the tenders back and forth. We went on a city tour last year that was interesting, but not something I think we'll repeat. I've looked into the zoo, but my mother's leery of the long drive it takes to get there. She's scared of snakes so the cave tubing is out, and I'm not too thrilled with the thought of zip-lining - and we're working on a tight budget anyway. She doesn't feel comfortable leaving the tourist area alone, and we'll have - unless we just go to a bar or something at the pier - a 14- and a 17-year-old with us. I know that's a lot of restrictions - but any ideas??

A trip to one of the cayes is nice. We did Bannister with a snorkel trip for $40@. It is cheaper if you don't want to snorkel. Fab Tours also has a trip that you can book at the tourist village.

I would leave mom at the Wet Lizard and take a ruins tour or go Cavetubing.:rolleyes:

Lots of people seem to think there are snakes to be seen on the cave-tubing, We didn't see any. I think there was a discussion maybe last year about this, and everyone said "no snakes".

Lots of people seem to think there are snakes to be seen on the cave-tubing, We didn't see any. I think there was a discussion maybe last year about this, and everyone said "no snakes".

To tell the truth, I didn't see any wildlife and I was looking for it. No birds, mammals or reptiles.

You said you've already taken a city tour? Was it by bus or horse carriage? On our Belize stop, we hired a horse carriage driver who took us all around the city and explained alot about Belize. $30 for all six of us--great deal--and he even took these pictures for us...

th_DSC02217.jpg th_DSC02216.jpg th_DSC02215.jpg

We saw alot of Belize and he explained alot about the country and its culture. We stopped at a neighborhood store and bought cold beer and cokes. Afte the tour, we walked across the bridge and found a mall with an Internet Cafe--fast access desktops for $1.25 per half-hour. The kids had a good time on Facebook, which we will not let them use on the ship. DW bought a James Patterson book from a street vendor for $2.00.

th_100_5937.jpg [/url] th_DSC02231.jpg th_DSC02230.jpg

Here's hoping you have another great cruise. Bon Voyage!

This horse drawn carriage tour looks great. We are looking for something different and relaxing while in Belize. We were looking for the rainforest tour but cannot find them. Did you book this carriage ride in port or in advance. It looks great and their are four of us traveling (2 couples) and I think it is up our alley.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JB

Here's an idea my 18 year old daughter came up with. We are going there in June and were wandering what to do. (we were there 3 years ago and did the cave tubing). We contacted the Rotary club and they put us in touch with the THE DOROTHY MENZIES CHILD CARE CENTER. It's a 10 minute taxi ride from the dock. We are planning on taking back packs full of school supplies, some candy, and a few other things for the kids there. We thought that since we are so blessed with having 7 days of being pampered, we could take a few hours to bless some kids that have very little.

This horse drawn carriage tour looks great. ... Did you book this carriage ride in port or in advance. It looks great and their are four of us traveling (2 couples) and I think it is up our alley. JB

When you get to shore, go into the mall and out the other end where the tour buses are loading. That's where we found the horse carriage. We negotiated with the driver for the price for our party and what his tour covered. He was really nice. He agreed on $30 for the six of us. We tipped him another $10 at the end of the ride. Then we walked around in town from there.

We sailed on Carnival Legend 05/02/2010-05/09/2010. We stopped in Belize and had a great tour with Allen Dawson with Experience Belize Tours. He stood out as soon as we saw him. He was professionally dressed unlike every other tour guide. His van was neat and clean. His price for all day tour and cavetubing was $55 w/ lunch, $45 w/out. Compared to Carnivals exhorbitant excursion prices, I was a happy girl!!! In the caves, all the other tubers were latched together by hooking their legs in the next persons tube, Allen let us tube separately. He pointed out flora & fauna, none of the other guides did or the stalagtites that resembled various shapes. He went above and beyond. We would do it again in a heartbeat especially during rainy season when river is high and faster.

www.experiencebelizetours.com

I'm looking for suggestions for my bored family that's considering not even getting off the ship in Belize. We've wandered the little tourist village every time we've gone - we're unimpressed (unless anything new - any fun bars or restaurants, perhaps - has opened in the past year). We've made entertainment out of riding the tenders back and forth. We went on a city tour last year that was interesting, but not something I think we'll repeat. I've looked into the zoo, but my mother's leery of the long drive it takes to get there. She's scared of snakes so the cave tubing is out, and I'm not too thrilled with the thought of zip-lining - and we're working on a tight budget anyway. She doesn't feel comfortable leaving the tourist area alone, and we'll have - unless we just go to a bar or something at the pier - a 14- and a 17-year-old with us. I know that's a lot of restrictions - but any ideas??

Looks like we will be cruising together!!! I think we are going to dive this time, and then hit up one of the bars afterwards!

Last time we were there (almost 6 years ago) we did the cave tubing and it was by far one of the best excursions we've been on! No snakes and very little wild life... we liked the "adventure" part of it! :) We also got to eat some great local food afterwards. Note: To all those that want to cave tube, bring an old pair of sneakers that you don't plan on bringing back to the ship. We gave all of our old shoes to one of the guys sitting at the end of the tube tour... he was beyond appreciative, and in return gave my dad & brother some foreign liquor shot... I didn't drink any but they all did... looked too gross. But the point of this is that you can help out some people in need after the tour!

• 3 weeks later...
A trip to one of the cayes is nice. We did Bannister with a snorkel trip for $40@. It is cheaper if you don't want to snorkel. Fab Tours also has a trip that you can book at the tourist village.

I would leave mom at the Wet Lizard and take a ruins tour or go Cavetubing.:rolleyes:

Clackey,

Is the $40 snorkel trip thru Fab tours?

Let me suggest Coral Breeze Tours for a fun & educational day snorkeling trip to Caye Caulker from the Tourist Village in Belize. Do a search for their site for answers to your questions.

We have used Coral Breeze twice a year for the last 5 to 6 years & only had a fun time snorkel tour, swim with the rays second stop & local lunch on Caye Caulker. They always get us back on time & things went very well.

And, we will use them again & again.

Bill in FL

since you are thinking of staying on the ship anyway and doesnt seem like your mom really wants to do anything...take the teens and do something like cave tubing--i would think your mom would want you and your kids to have some FUN and not just stay on the ship or around the dock.

Clackey,

Is the $40 snorkel trip thru Fab tours?

Yes, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. Fab and Coral Breeze are two reputable companies. I am sure that you can check their websites for more info.

BTW, Bannister was pretty nice.

Yes, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. Fab and Coral Breeze are two reputable companies. I am sure that you can check their websites for more info.

BTW, Bannister was pretty nice.

Thanks for the info.

My wife convinced me to do Bannister Island one time about two years ago & we both thought it was not much. Not enough chairs, loooong lines & a man made soggy bottom beach area.

If you visit real beaches in the US, you probably will think the same thing, not too much.

If you are new to beaches, & know no better, you will enjoy.

We live in FL one block from the Atlantic & this real beach is our neighbor.

Good luck !

Bill in FL

You said you've already taken a city tour? Was it by bus or horse carriage? On our Belize stop, we hired a horse carriage driver who took us all around the city and explained alot about Belize. $30 for all six of us--great deal--and he even took these pictures for us...

th_DSC02217.jpg th_DSC02216.jpg th_DSC02215.jpg

We saw alot of Belize and he explained alot about the country and its culture. We stopped at a neighborhood store and bought cold beer and cokes. Afte the tour, we walked across the bridge and found a mall with an Internet Cafe--fast access desktops for $1.25 per half-hour. The kids had a good time on Facebook, which we will not let them use on the ship. DW bought a James Patterson book from a street vendor for $2.00.

th_100_5937.jpg th_DSC02231.jpg th_DSC02230.jpg

Here's hoping you have another great cruise. Bon Voyage!

This looks fun, we are leaving on Saturday, How did you book/find the horse carriage? just get off the boat?

• 2 weeks later...
My wife convinced me to do Bannister Island one time about two years ago & we both thought it was not much. Not enough chairs, loooong lines & a man made soggy bottom beach area.

If you visit real beaches in the US, you probably will think the same thing, not too much.

If you are new to beaches, & know no better, you will enjoy.

We live in FL one block from the Atlantic & this real beach is our neighbor.

Good luck !

Bill in FL

Is it really crowded? We're thinking of taking the ship's tour to Bannister Island but really thought it wasn't going to be that sardine-like on the beach.

Also what do you mean by a man made soggy bottom beach? is it like that at all spots around the island or just in one area? We live a few minutes away from a beach but haven't been on a Caribbean island beach in YEARS!

Archived