Yoga or Pilates onboard - how is it?

bulgargirl

Hi - I like to do Yoga and pilates. Not that I'm good at it - but I do enjoy it. Anyway, I understand most HAL ships have both. I was wondering if anyone had tried the classes and what they were like.

Too easy? Too difficult? Crowded? No one there? Early in the morning or at all times?

Thanks for any information!

When we were on our Volendam cruise in NZ and AUS they had a free stretching class every morning about 7:30. It was great! I'm hoping they have it on our Alaska cruise next month.

I was on the May 2-9 Veendam to Bermuda sailing. I took Pilates 3x - $12 each time or if you take 3 it's $30, and a discount as well for all 6 days.

I know Tai Chi was before 10am, as was Yoga (I think they did an afternoon once), and Pilates was at 4pm every day (45 min class). The first day there was 7 people in class, after that we had 5 women left (including me).

I do Pilates 2x a week (for 5 years now) and the class wasn't too easy for a mat class, but not a major workout. The trainer figured out after our first class what exercises she could do with us by our skill levels.

Although, being on a ship and trying to keep your balance was a challenge!;)

On the Oo in March, the yoga instruction was competent, and there were just enough mats (and not quite enough space) to go around. The props weren't available outside of class times.

There was no Pilates mat class; private reformer instruction was available, but the staff had only VERY basic Pilates training. I took three privates and simply slipped into the gym and did my reformer work on my own the other days. The machinery was in remarkably good shape.

Archived