Cell phones?

joyous337

DH and I are sailing on the Legend this Sunday. The last time we sailed (3 years ago on the Victory) we were able to use our cell phones just fine (for an alarm or to check on the kids at home). No charges to our room or anything. We use prepaid phones so we also didn't have any charges from our provider. Now I'm reading something about cruise lines charging for you to use your cell phone on the ship? What are the details on this?

Cellular service is provided via satellite by Cellular At Sea. They will charge you $2.49/min plus any roaming charges that your provider passes along.

I have Sprint and an international roaming plan so there are no additional fees.

I'd suggest waiting to use your phone until you're in port... typical charges in the Caribbean are $.69/minutes. Alternatively, you can purchase a calling card to use at a pay phone in port... it's much cheaper than a cell phone.

:)

Are you saying they charge it to my sail and sign account? Or that they charge it to the cell phone company?

you are charged to your cellular provider, unless you use the phone in your room to make any outbound calls beyond the ship.

Cellular service is provided via satellite by Cellular At Sea. They will charge you $2.49/min plus any roaming charges that your provider passes along.

I have Sprint and an international roaming plan so there are no additional fees.

I'd suggest waiting to use your phone until you're in port... typical charges in the Caribbean are $.69/minutes. Alternatively, you can purchase a calling card to use at a pay phone in port... it's much cheaper than a cell phone.

:)

I also have Sprint and was curious how much extra the international roaming is and how easy it is to "add on" and then cancel when I return. Also, I have heard texting is slightly cheaper option than calling or is that just when at port? Any Sprint specific info would be great so I know what to expect when I call to set it up.

Well if they charge it to the provider, then I wouldn't get charged. That's the beauty of a pre-paid phone. I guess we'll take it like we did last time and see how usable it is. Mainly, I would want it for an alarm clock. Also, just looked and I do have a "flight mode" so I suppose I could just set it on that for most of the time.

While on the ship, 2.49 a minute, and texting is .60 outgoing, and .10 incoming. However, you need to check with your provider, and not ask the questions on this board, because you will get the wrong answer. Many things can happen, such as some phone companies will charge you if you do not answer the phone, so you can get a huge amount of calls, and charges, if you leave you phone on. CHECK WITH YOUR PHONE COMPANY!!!!

I use verizon and it was free calls when I was in San Juan. One thing we do is keep a tracphone handy and when we cruise we activate it. When it roams it only eats up 2 credits which is about fifty cents. No other added fees. Easy, simple, and cheaper than using my own cell phone.

I also have Sprint and was curious how much extra the international roaming is and how easy it is to "add on" and then cancel when I return. Also, I have heard texting is slightly cheaper option than calling or is that just when at port? Any Sprint specific info would be great so I know what to expect when I call to set it up.

International Roaming is very easy to set up and cancel but you'll want to find out if it's is right for you. When roaming internationally, not all devices are able to do voice but most can do text. I'd suggest checking out the info they have online at Sprint.com. And if you can find the answers you are looking for they have reps available to answer thru chat or you can just give them a call.

PS. Sprint has good coverage (no Roaming) in San Juan and St. Thomas.

Archived