Jewel: Looking to upgrade to mini suite and have some ?'s

We are currently booked in a balcony and are contemplating seeing about upgrading to a Mini Suite. we have two small children traveling with us.

SO I know the Mini Suite would be more comfortable for us...no question about that. It is a question about $$!

(when we booked, somehow I misunderstood what the NCL rep told me and thought the balcony cabin would have a bed that would fit my two children, not a pull down bed)

I looked on a cruise website and it looks like there are plenty of mini suites available for my sailing 5/29 (i know that can change between now and the end of the month)

When we call,

1. Do we call TA or NCL if booked through TA?

2. How do they figure out how much to charge us? Is it the current price difference or the price difference of when we booked?

3. Or is there some sort of discount to this different if there are mini suites available?

4. Is it possible to negotiate the upgrade at all?

5. Best to call now or wait?

THANK YOU CC members!

We are currently booked in a balcony and are contemplating seeing about upgrading to a Mini Suite. we have two small children traveling with us.

SO I know the Mini Suite would be more comfortable for us...no question about that. It is a question about $$!

(when we booked, somehow I misunderstood what the NCL rep told me and thought the balcony cabin would have a bed that would fit my two children, not a pull down bed)

I looked on a cruise website and it looks like there are plenty of mini suites available for my sailing 5/29 (i know that can change between now and the end of the month)

When we call,

1. Do we call TA or NCL if booked through TA?

2. How do they figure out how much to charge us? Is it the current price difference or the price difference of when we booked?

3. Or is there some sort of discount to this different if there are mini suites available?

4. Is it possible to negotiate the upgrade at all?

5. Best to call now or wait?

THANK YOU CC members!

1. You need to go through your Travel agent if you are initiating the upsell.

2. The charge is based exactly on the difference between a balcony and mini-suite if you initiate it.

3. No discounts if you initiate it.

4. You can negotiate if the upsell department calls you. If the upsell fairy calls you, then there will be a discount for the upsell.

5. I upgraded myself on the last cruise and paid full price. I got antsy and wasnt happy with the room I initially booked. I was too nervous that the upsell fairy wouldn't call me. If you are truly unhappy with the balcony category, it will be money well spent and you shoudl do it now. (IMO)

Thanks again Susan!

We started looking over the Dailies and it got us so excited!

I understand the excitement. Today I will be booking the Jewel again for Spring Break 2011. Don't know how we are going to wait that long!:(

I did the opposite. I booked a mini suite and then changed the day I made final payment. The offer was just too good- pay for an ocean view and get a balcony so we saved $450. Of course now I am thinking maybe we should have stuck with the mini suite but it's $750 to upgrade. I have a 2 and 5 year old so it would be nice to have the extra space and tub but we'll make due. My kids love sleeping on the floor so I am going to take the mattress off the pullman and let them sleep on the floor.

I doubt the upgrade fairy will call because we got such a discount and we sail in 4 days.

Good luck!!!

Archived