Question about preparing Warm Chocolate Mleting Cake

I always prepare a meal for our family, my mom and dad, and my in-laws on the Saturday before Mothers day. The theme this year is going to be "Cruise Food" and I'm preparing dishes we've had on board.

My question is how far in advance you can prepare and "hold" the mixture for the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. I don't plan on actually cooking it until they are eating the other portions, but I didn't know if I could make the mixture a couple of hours in advance, and then if it need to be kept at room temperature rather than refrigertion. Any body have any tips?

You may want to try it out thoroughly in private before you attempt to make it for your family. We bought ramikens the right size and just the right ingredients and followed various recipes exactly. We have tried several times and failed miserably. It is always either overcooked--cake like thru and thru; or undercooked--runny all the way thru. We also discovered that it's mostly pure butter. To get the real thing, we will just have to book another cruise...oh well.

You may want to try it out thoroughly in private before you attempt to make it for your family. We bought ramikens the right size and just the right ingredients and followed various recipes exactly. We have tried several times and failed miserably. It is always either overcooked--cake like thru and thru; or undercooked--runny all the way thru. We also discovered that it's mostly pure butter. To get the real thing, we will just have to book another cruise...oh well.

I tried one that I got online after a trip last year, and as you mention, they were not exactly like the ones on board. But on our last trip a couple of weeks ago, we went on the "Behind the Fun Tour" and they gave us copies of the "official" recipe, (which I have not tried yet) but I'm hoping that it's going to be a close copy. On second thought, maybe it should NOT be as good. All I need is to keep cooking those things and gaining weight with each bite. But what fun!

Refrigerate after assembling. Take out of fridge and let it come to room temp for about 10 minutes prior to baking. This works for me. Good luck!:)

Curious - what other cruise cuisine are you serving?

Refrigerate after assembling. Take out of fridge and let it come to room temp for about 10 minutes prior to baking. This works for me. Good luck!:)

Curious - what other cruise cuisine are you serving?

Nothing, TOO fancy. I enjoy cooking but I'm not a chef by any means. I'll be serving Strawberry Bisque, Tossed Garden Salad, Chicken Parmagiana with Macaroni and Cheese, Red Potatoes, Bread and the cake. You would see that combination on any one night of a cruise, but I enjoyed them and thought I would go with it.

I'll have two tables with the table numbers on them. Adults at one and kids at the other. When the folks arrive, my son will take pictures of them (like an embarkation photo) then I'll add some borders to dress them up and print them for them before they leave.

When I made the cake I made them in the morning, let cool and then covered with a clean dish cloth to keep them from drying out.

Then I popped them in the oven for a few minutes, sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with the ice cream.

They turned out great!!

Your menu sounds really good and I love the idea of the 'embarkation' photos.

Your menu sounds really good and I love the idea of the 'embarkation' photos.

Thanks. Since they will not have a choice of what to "order" I'm going to print out sample menus to give to them, and will serve while wearing my tux. I've always had fun doing things like this and my wife gets a kick out of it. (She really loved the surprise cruise and trips to Disney I've planned for her in the past. Now THOSE took a lot of preparation!)

I tried one that I got online after a trip last year, and as you mention, they were not exactly like the ones on board. But on our last trip a couple of weeks ago, we went on the "Behind the Fun Tour" and they gave us copies of the "official" recipe, (which I have not tried yet) but I'm hoping that it's going to be a close copy. On second thought, maybe it should NOT be as good. All I need is to keep cooking those things and gaining weight with each bite. But what fun!

Would you mind posting that recipe here?

I've tried a version of the recipe that I got off these boards over a year ago -- it came out great! But I'd love to see your "official" recipe...

Thanks.

I'd be glad to post it for you. It's on my home computer and I'm at work right now (SHHH don't tell anyone). I do remember a couple of oddities is that you cook it at 390º for 14 minutes. Pretty specific directions, if you ask me.

Just did a little research:

If you google Chocolate Melting Cake, you'll get a page where the 3rd or 4th one is "Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake". It a long, long thread on the cake.:) (from April 2001).....

I posted the recipe I got from the chef on the Glory about 2 years ago. The batter can be held up to a week in the refrigerator. Just portion out what you need for that day and put the rest back in the refrigerator.

Here's the page with that recipe -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=427940&highlight=warm+chocolate+melting+cake+recipe&page=10 post #187

This is the version I got from the Fantasy:

Ingredients:

6 oz. Dark Chocolate

6 Oz. Butter

4 Eggs

6 Oz. Sugar

2 Oz. Flour

Melt the chocolate and butter

Mix the eggs and sugar and whisk for few minutes

Add the flour

Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

Pour the mix in a greased mold

Bake directly in the overn at 390 Fº for 14 minutes

Note - Make sure that hte eggs are at room temperature and choclate is warm enough while making the mixture.

Serve with ice cream and fruit garnish

Yield 4 servings

I'm not sure if there are different variations for each ship, or just due to different ovens/chefs, but I did notice that the ones we had on the Fantasy had a more "gooey" body than the ones we had last year on the Freedom. To me the consistency of the ones on the Fantasy were better.

This is the one I am using. I can not swear that it is an actual Carnival version as I don't have their cookbook, but I was told that it is.

Chilled Strawberry Bisque

2 cups frozen strawberries

1 cup milk

1/2 cup of heavy cream (whipping cream)

1/2 cup sour cream

2 Tbsp. sugar

fresh mint for flavor and garnish

Puree strawberries, milk, cream and sour cream in blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in sugar. Chill 8 hours or overnight in refrigerator before serving.

This is the one I am using. I can not swear that it is an actual Carnival version as I don't have their cookbook, but I was told that it is.

Chilled Strawberry Bisque

2 cups frozen strawberries

1 cup milk

1/2 cup of heavy cream (whipping cream)

1/2 cup sour cream

2 Tbsp. sugar

fresh mint for flavor and garnish

Puree strawberries, milk, cream and sour cream in blender or food processor until smooth. Stir in sugar. Chill 8 hours or overnight in refrigerator before serving.

Thanks! Sounds wonderful even if it isn't theirs!

Archived