South America Excursions

endosunshine

In Nov we will be doing the Buenos Aires to Valparaiso cruise. For those of you who have done this one (or the reverse) what were some of the excursions that you tried and did you like them? Think any of them were over rated or not worth the cost incurred? Did you book any excursions on your own or just go thru SS?

Thanks to all in advance.

If you're arriving in Buenos Aires a couple of days before the cruise I would recommend going to Iguazu Falls. We did it on a package with Regent and I'm sure SS has an overnight package as well. We stayed at the Sheraton right at the Falls. Well worthwhile, but there'a a lot of walking to see all of the Falls, so be prepared.

I have been considering Iguazu Falls. We will be in BA for a week prior to the cruise. Afterwards I am considering 3 nights in Valparaiso and 2 nights in Santiago.

Anyone have any input on that as well?

We're on the Nov. Antarctic cruise and are interested in staying at an estancia near Buenos Aires. While anyone is responding to this thread, I'd be really appreciative to get some recommendations for an estancia. Our TA can book us something through Big Five tours but I thought we might be able to do better on our own.

Also -- how is the Marriott Buenos Aires? Is the Park Hyatt significantly better.

Thanks for any help!

There's not much in Valpariso; it's just another port city. There is a resort town 20 or so miles up the coast from Valpariso that is fairly nice. Santiago may still be in a bit of an upheaval due to the earthquake and it's a fairly smoggy city as well. There are much nicer places to visit in Chile.

There's not much in Valpariso; it's just another port city. There is a resort town 20 or so miles up the coast from Valpariso that is fairly nice. Santiago may still be in a bit of an upheaval due to the earthquake and it's a fairly smoggy city as well. There are much nicer places to visit in Chile.

Thanks, I may reduce the number of nights in those areas. I had heard that Santiago is primarily just another big city, with relatively few historic or worthwhile things to see. The smog is at it's worst during their autumn season.

I had heard that Vina del Mar is just another upscale resort beach community and since I live in one of those year round, it did not interest me much. Am I missing something?

We had a similar itinerary on Oceania last year. The absolute BEST thing we did was the trip to Volunteer Point to see the King Penguins. We booked it through Patrick Watts, who seems to be "the" guy. His e-mail is pwatts@horizon.co.fk.

I posted kind of a lengthy review at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51759

It was a wonderful itinerary and I am sure you are going to have a great time!

Kim

• 4 months later...

We took this Excursion last year on the Spirit Inaugural. We both really enjoyed it. There were 3 of us and the guide from the ship, so a very small turnout.

It wasn't really scary or difficult. Mostly 2's. I'd definitely recommend it if you like rafting.

Danny

I have been considering Iguazu Falls. We will be in BA for a week prior to the cruise. Afterwards I am considering 3 nights in Valparaiso and 2 nights in Santiago.

Anyone have any input on that as well?

I think Iguazo falls is definitely a good idea. You might want to spend two nights there and do the upper and low from the Argentine side. You might also do a jet boat tour. If you plan a Brazil side to Iguazu I think you need a yellow fever shot and a visa. Not sure about the visa.

You need a visa to visit Brazil but you do not need a yellow fever shot. The Brazilians are very particular about the correctness of the application and associated documentation so the process takes almost a month unless you pay an expeditor to handle it for you.

You need a visa to visit Brazil but you do not need a yellow fever shot. The Brazilians are very particular about the correctness of the application and associated documentation so the process takes almost a month unless you pay an expeditor to handle it for you.

Thanks,

I knew there was some reason we didn't go to the Brazil side of Iguazu falls.

Thanks, I may reduce the number of nights in those areas. I had heard that Santiago is primarily just another big city, with relatively few historic or worthwhile things to see. The smog is at it's worst during their autumn season.

I had heard that Vina del Mar is just another upscale resort beach community and since I live in one of those year round, it did not interest me much. Am I missing something?

Valparaiso- There is a nice restaurant that overlooks the water and we could see the ship dock from there. Don't remember the name.

Vina Del Mar--visit a winery

Santiago- Visit the working market and the tourist market. Go to the top of Cristobal for the view. (Where the Statue is). The top of the Sheraton Santiago has a nice restaurant with a nice view. Lunch or breakfast probably so you can see.

I love those sandwichs they make with the fried egg on them. Got those in Punta Arenas but they probably have them in Santiago.

We're on the Nov. Antarctic cruise and are interested in staying at an estancia near Buenos Aires. While anyone is responding to this thread, I'd be really appreciative to get some recommendations for an estancia. Our TA can book us something through Big Five tours but I thought we might be able to do better on our own.

Also -- how is the Marriott Buenos Aires? Is the Park Hyatt significantly better.

Thanks for any help!

I love Buenos Aires, but be careful with any valuables. I had one of the coolest moves put on me when I had my $20,000 Rolex taken off my wrist. I know what they mean whan they talk about the Mark. It was a setup. My fault for wearing the watch. I had it for 20 years and just wore it everyday as a watch. Learn from my ignorance. Don't be afraid, just use more common sense than I did. I was not and still am not afraid to be in Buenos Aires, so have a wonderful time.

Oh beware of the mustard trick. That is a cool move to. I know someone that had it done to them, but I did not have that pleasure.

We stayed at a Sheraton that is walking distance from the shopping street. Forgot the name.

We had a similar itinerary on Oceania last year. The absolute BEST thing we did was the trip to Volunteer Point to see the King Penguins. We booked it through Patrick Watts, who seems to be "the" guy. His e-mail is pwatts@horizon.co.fk.

I posted kind of a lengthy review at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=51759

It was a wonderful itinerary and I am sure you are going to have a great time!

Kim

I met Patrick when I was down there because we looked him up, but his car was broken. He has a good reputation and seemed like a pleasant fellow.

Thanks for any help!

See if these work

Barbacue

Flight to King George Island from Punta Arenas to miss the Dreaded Drake

There were only 25 of us and only three were US. Great Trip

I love Buenos Aires, but be careful with any valuables. I had one of the coolest moves put on me when I had my $20,000 Rolex taken off my wrist. I know what they mean whan they talk about the Mark. It was a setup. My fault for wearing the watch. I had it for 20 years and just wore it everyday as a watch. Learn from my ignorance. Don't be afraid, just use more common sense than I did. I was not and still am not afraid to be in Buenos Aires, so have a wonderful time.

Oh beware of the mustard trick. That is a cool move to. I know someone that had it done to them, but I did not have that pleasure.

We stayed at a Sheraton that is walking distance from the shopping street. Forgot the name.

Florida Street, I think you mean.

Endoshine, if you can, spend several days in BA, preferably in barrio Recoleta, which is where the Four Seasons, Alvear, Hyatt and Sofitel (among others) are. Great area for walking, A very wealthy area, so attracts thieves. But also cops--who are on virtually every corner. Things to see and do include MALBA, the best art museum in South America; the tango show at the Faena Hotel, simply the best in the city (though quite expensive) and shopping on Posadas Street, in Recoleta,which is a bit like a very short version of Madison Ave. in New York. And then there's the grass-fed beef, and the wine. One last piece of advice. Never dine earlier than 9:30--and 10:00 is better--or you will be eating with tourists. No fun people-watching them.

Thanks for any help!

Park Hyatt is better in every way. The Four Seasons is also an alternative to the Hyatt. They have distinct differences. The PH is cooler. The FS is warmer, with perhaps the best concierge desk anywhere.

There are two kinds of extancias. The first is the slightly Disneyesque, with a show of gauchos, an asado for you and a bus load of fellow tourists, etc. The second is a real and personal introduction to the pampas. I would urge you to forgo the first--unless you like bus trips--and explore El Roble, The Oak, which is an estancia in Lujan about and hour and a from your hotel Very good homemade food, excellent wines, a swimming pool, lots of cows and horses, working gauchos. Quite a bit less expensive than some alternatives, and both extremely comfortable--think rustic luxury--and authentic. Your hosts are Totty and Jaime. She's a young Scotswoman with a background in horses and art--she'll explain--and her co-host Jaime, who gave up a career as a lawyer to devote himself to the land. A very personal experience. You can reach her at: Totty@insidethepampas.com. If you like to ride, you'll be in heaven. We don't, but nonetheless enjoyed the experience immensely.(Tell her michael suggested you contact them.)

Archived