Tipping tips for a brit

whiteleyvm

There is a good listing of who to tip what right on Disney's site: http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/

Others that you should tip:

Cab driver or limo driver, 15% plus $1 per bag that the driver handles.

DCL bus driver at your discretion, but definitely $1-2 per bag (depending on size/weight) for any bag they assist you with

Porter at terminal, $1-2 per bag, minimum is generally $5

Skycap at the airport, $1-2 per bag, minimum is generally $5

Driver and guide for shore excursion, $1-5 per person in your party to each, depending on the length of the tour and how much they added to your enjoyment of it.

Kids club counselors: not allowed to accept tips, but feel free to bring them a small gift. We gave the teen club staff International prepaid phone cards.

Concierge staff, dependent on what they do for you, nothing to $100

Room service, $2-10 per delivery, depending on what they bring and for how many people. A pitcher of iced tea and a few glasses I'd give $2, a full meal with side dishes, dessrts, drinks, etc. I'd give $10 or more.

We tipped the servers in Palo over and above the service charge, I want to think $5 per person for brunch, $5 for the table for tea, and $10 per person for dinner

We tipped more than the suggested minimum to our servers and cabin attendent because they kept us feeling remarkable pampered and there was no request to large for them.

You should tip 20% for all spa or salon services.

I feel like I'm forgetting someone, hopefully if I am, someone else will chime in. have a great crusie!

To add, as far as the 10 night, I'd add the suggested tip amount for the 3 and 7 night for each tipped position and that would be the 10 night amount.

So $40 per person for the dining room server and stateroom host, $30 per person for the asst server, $10 per person for the head server, and so on.

Don't worry about tipping, like at home tip what you think somebody deserves, and that will usually be the minimum that the cruiseline recommends. Occasionally we have tipped less if the service has been below par, or tipped a bit more if the person had given us excellent service.

Must say we have never tipped porters at the cruise terminal, they certainly weren't looking for a tip as they walked away.

Just enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Don't worry about tipping, like at home tip what you think somebody deserves, and that will usually be the minimum that the cruiseline recommends. Occasionally we have tipped less if the service has been below par, or tipped a bit more if the person had given us excellent service.

Must say we have never tipped porters at the cruise terminal, they certainly weren't looking for a tip as they walked away.

Just enjoy your cruise.

I think the poster is asking because he/she is from the UK, where their tipping practices are quite different from the US... thoughtful of the OP to recognize and inquire about it ahead of time!

Just enjoy your cruise.

In the US the porters pretty much work for tips. In all honesty you're lucky your luggage arrived on the ship with you if you didn't tip.

Archived