How do you change airports at Iguazu Falls from Argentinian to Brazilian Airport?

scampi

We are planning to fly with LAN from Buenos Aires to Iguazu (AEP to IGR) and stay 2 days. Then fly with TAM on the Brazilian side to Rio de Janeiro (IGU to GIG) so that we can get our cruise from Rio. How difficult is the transportation from the falls on the Argentine side to the airport on the Brazilian side? Also what hotel in the city might provide pick up or transfers to and from their hotel & the airports (even at an additional charge.)

The two airports are not close to each other. What do you mean by "the city"? There's the city of Foz de Iguaçu on the Brazilian side. I think the twon on the Argentine side is Puerto Iguazu. There are also hotels (more expensive) near the falls on each side (only one on the Brazilian side as far as I know). Ón which side will you stay? I imagine you could find a private tour that will take you from, say, your hotel on the Argentine side over to the Brazilian side (it's worthwhile to see both sides) and then on to the Brazilian airport. It would take a while, however', since once you get to the Brazilian side of the falls, not a straight-shot from the Argentine side, you need to get to the town of Foz de Iguaçu and then about 16km further to the airport. I'm guessing the hotels on the Argentine side are less expensive due to the country's economy but am not sure (Brazil tends to be expensive). I'd contact whatever hotel you choose and ask for their help.

Caveat Emptor . Traveller Beware. You can cross from one side to the other and transport is not the issue . Immigration is the issue.

Australians and US Citizens pay an Entrance Fee in $US which is fairly steep EACH time you enter Argentina. Visas are required for entry to Brazil but they are reasonable price and are multiple entry for tourists. (You must get Brazil Visa at your home country, NOT available at the Brazilian border.)

So structure your trip so that you only enter Argentina once, or you will be slugged something like $ 100 - $ 130 US per person for each subsequent entry into Argentina.

The entrance fee for Argentina is $131 US and is collected at EZE upon arrival. It is good for 10 years. The Brazilian visa for US citizens is $150 and must be applied for no more than 2 months prior to entering Brazil. It is also good for multiple entries. With the visa in hand you should have no trouble crossing at Iguazu. The thing that might catch you is the weight limit that Lan has for flights to Iguazu. Two pieces with a total of 23 kgs.(50.7 lbs) If you have all of your cruise luggage with you, you might have quite a surprise.:eek:

The entrance fee for Argentina is $131 US and is collected at EZE upon arrival. It is good for 10 years. The Brazilian visa for US citizens is $150 and must be applied for no more than 2 months prior to entering Brazil. It is also good for multiple entries. With the visa in hand you should have no trouble crossing at Iguazu. The thing that might catch you is the weight limit that Lan has for flights to Iguazu. Two pieces with a total of 23 kgs.(50.7 lbs) If you have all of your cruise luggage with you, you might have quite a surprise.:eek:

That $131 fee is collected only at EZE. I don't know what, if any, fee is collected to enter Argentina at Foz de Iguaçu. You should get your Brazilian visa ahead of time, of course. Do not expect to get it at the border.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your information. We fly with LAN, AEP to IGU and are staying at the Sheraton Iguazu Resort in Argentina. (We bought extra light luggage in anticipation of the 23K check in & 5K carry on limits per person. Thank goodness we have free laundry on Princess so we are packing light.) We will have our Brazilian Visa & fly from IGR Iguazzu Falls, Brazilian side to Rio de Janeiro with TAM airlines. I was hoping for recommendations of a reliable company for our transfers, especially from the Sheraton to the airport on the Brazilian side of the falls.

We went from the Brazilian side to the Argentine side and back as part of a tour with a local operator, arranged by a travel agency in the U.S. I'd ask the Sheraton if they have such a service or if they can recommend someone. You might also post your quesion on the Brazilian branch of th Lonely Planet Thorntree site (www.lonelyplanet.com). I'm also guessing that guide books will have info.

The airport serving the Argentine side is called Cataratas del Iguazu while that on the Brazilian side is also calle Cataratas, the the falls themselves are called Iguazu in Spanish and Iaguaçu in Portuguese. However, in English the airport and falls in Brazil are often called Iguassu. Confusing. When we went from the Brazilian side of the falls to the Argentine side and back we were on a tour. I assume that you'll do this as part of your two days, going the other way. You have a tour arranged already or will do that on the spot? If you're arranging the tour in advance, I would assume the same operator will have, or at least know of, a service that could take you directly from the hotel to the airport in Brazil (I can't recall if you'd go back through the park again or if there's a quicker way). And, as I suggested earlier, contacting your hotel wouldn't hurt. You certainly aren't the first guests needing to get to IGU. You could also check a guide book, and even post your question on the Thorn Three at www.lonelyplanet.com.

• 2 weeks later...

We have done exactly what you are planning. And we stayed at the Sheraton in Argentina. We just got a taxi from the Sheraton to the airport on the Brazilian side. Its easy. Just ask the Sheraton to arrange the taxi for you. I don't remember the cost but its not expensive for the distance travelled.

Crossing the border was a breeze. Our driver took our passports and went into the office, came back and we drove off. No Brazilian official even came outside to look at us. We, of course, had our Brazilian visas in the passports. I don't think our passports were even stamped as when we left by air from Sao Paolo the Brazilian customs guys were a bit upset that they couldn't figure out when and where we had entered Brazil.

So, just take a taxi from the Sheraton. It will be no problem.

Archived