Bay of Fundy - Reversing Tides

Hi. We're taking a quickie cruise to St. John NB. Are the excursions based on the tides? I don't want to get there at the wrong time.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer for sure - I would call the tour operator directly at 1-800-561-2324 (Freedom Tours) to find out.

Don't take the excursion through the ship. Call Freedom Tours. We used them and when we got off the ship the woman from the tour said hope you don't mind we're going to do the tour in a different order that what you planned because the tides are low right now. Boy were they right because we got there and were able to walk in to the sea caves and stuff. A few minutes later they started yelling for us to come out and no lie - by the time we got back to the shore the tides were 1/2 filled. We got a snack - actually best chowder ever - and while we sat there the tides had totally covered the caves. The cruise line's buses had not even arrived yet. As we were leaving they finally pulled up. Don't know what there was for them to see. Yes call Freedom but if you had our guides - Sharon (driver) and Trinna (guide) - excellent. Ask for them.

• 2 weeks later...

I have checked the tides on the day that our ship docks in Saint John and they are about 3 hours before our ship even arrives. I wondered if it would be worth going to St Martins if the tides would be about midway?

The other low tide would be about 5PM and not give us much time to get back to the ship. Is it still worth going?

I have checked the tides on the day that our ship docks in Saint John and they are about 3 hours before our ship even arrives. I wondered if it would be worth going to St Martins if the tides would be about midway?

The other low tide would be about 5PM and not give us much time to get back to the ship. Is it still worth going?

On top of the three hours, you have to account for getting off ship, getting rental car and then 50 minute drive there - so it will probably be almost 5 hours past low tide. It will still be a picturesque fishing village; however you will not be able to do the caves or walk on the sea floor. Alternatively you could check out St. Andrew's-By-the-Sea or explore the historic area where the ship docks on foot.

Archived