18-year old travelling with another family - need notarized letter?

jasper63

On a Western Caribbean cruise with ports-of-call including Mexico, does an 18 y.o. travelling with his/her firends family (parents) need a notarized letter, or any other letter, from their parents? Thanks.

On a Western Caribbean cruise with ports-of-call including Mexico, does an 18 y.o. travelling with his/her firends family (parents) need a notarized letter, or any other letter, from their parents? Thanks.

I was told myself that they do need the letter since the legal age is 21..

You do have to have 1 person 21 or older in each cabin. Or I think you are supposed to have. I have read posts where people put their kids in 1 cabin and they stay in another, so maybe I'm wrong. But if it is the case, that may be where some are getting the 21 from.

You do have to have 1 person 21 or older in each cabin. Or I think you are supposed to have. I have read posts where people put their kids in 1 cabin and they stay in another, so maybe I'm wrong. But if it is the case, that may be where some are getting the 21 from.

One person has to be 25 or older to have one under age in room. as to the kids/parents, one parent is "listed" in each room. they just change rooms on boarding.

Dont chance it, give Carnival a call directly to be sure. I have heard of what your talking about and believe your right about the letter, but I dont know the age cut off.

Calling Carnival directly is about as helpful as spitting in the wind.

From the Department of State's website (http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html):

Minors: Mexican law requires that any non-Mexican citizen under the age of 18 departing Mexico must carry notarized written permission from any parent or guardian not traveling with the child to or from Mexico. This permission must include the name of the parent, the name of the child, the name of anyone traveling with the child, and the notarized signature(s) of the absent parent(s). The State Department recommends that the permission should include travel dates, destinations, airlines and a brief summary of the circumstances surrounding the travel. The child must be carrying the original letter – not a facsimile or scanned copy – as well as proof of the parent/child relationship (usually a birth certificate or court document) – and an original custody decree, if applicable. Travelers should contact the Mexican Embassy or the nearest Mexican consulate for current information.

I was told that since we are from Canada and legal age here is 18 but in the US to enter is 21....so that's where I got that

18 is an adult in both Canada and the States. Also the legal age to drink should not matter as the legal age in NB is 19 not 18 any way.

We brought our daughter's boyfriend (18) with us on a cruise last year to Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, and Honduras. We didn't have/need a letter. He does have a passport though.

It doesnt take much to get a letter and take it with you.

Sometimes they want it sometimes they dont. Its not worth the chance that you will be asked for it and dont have it.

Carnival age policy is 21. (doesnt reflect US or Canada rules of adults)

(on most cruiselines an 18 year old can not book a cruise without an adult over 21...)

The "age of majority" in the US is 18. A written letter, notorized letter, or any other form of permission, is absolutely useless, and has no legal standing. Once you reach the magic age of 18, you can sign any contract, go into the military, vote, rent an apartment, and be tried as an adult. So why would Carnival need a legally, worthless letter?

As far are traveling, an 18 year old, per Carnival rules, must be booked in a room with someone 25. They can be unrelated. This is to cut down on the "drunken" spring break parties.....

One person has to be 25 or older to have one under age in room. as to the kids/parents, one parent is "listed" in each room. they just change rooms on boarding.

actually the kids can be booked next door or across the hall as long as they are your kids . If there is a passenger that is not your kid then you can split the adults to cover the requirement . We have done this on 2 separate occasions

Archived