Bermuda and Mopeds / Scooters

Likethesearchengine

This article is 2 years old but I don't think things have gotten any better on the roads.

http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?sectionId=60&articleId=7d8612f30030009

If you don't feel like reading the whole article, I found this part to be rather sobering.

Carried out by the founder of BermudaSMARTRISK, Dr. Joseph Froncioni along with co-authors, Jennifer Attride-Stirling and Marcelo Ramella, this study is the largest of its kind in Bermuda. And the charity, which has shared its finding.

"While some view scooters as all part of the authentic holiday experience, Dr. Froncioni believes this Island should move the times on the back of statistics which show tourists made up 24 percent of all road fatalities in the study.

Dr. Froncioni said motorbikes were the most dangerous form of transport and the study showed they were responsible for 65 percent of deaths."

Well there are are approximately 1,500 rental scooters on the island. If we imagine that 50% are rented every week, that would be about 35,000 riders a year. Looking at the Royal Gazette, which reports the accidents quite well, there is on average 1 tourist death a year because of scooter accident. Now I am sure there are many more accidents (that do not result in death), but I am just giving you the numbers. I still am in favor of something like the scoot coupe or sun trike.

Scoot Coupe

scoot_coupe_scooter1.jpg

Sun Trike

SUN_Y_trike-01_2.gif

Where can one rent those at kings wharf?

Not really, I just wondered if anyone rents those things out. Read on another thread someone was killed in Aruba a day or two ago on a street legal ATV.

Have no idea about the circumstances about the Aruba accident but a little bigger is not always better as in the Scoot Coupes. When you tangle with something bigger like a bus or a truck, the little man usually loses. I'll spare the details of my sister's encounter with a truck when she was driving a Mini Cooper.:(

About 15 years ago, my dh and I rented scooters and practiced in a small parking area. I never should have rented it, but off we went toward Hamilton and as we approached a stone wall we walked the scooters across the street to see the ocean view. As I lifted the scooter up onto the sidewalk I hit the throttle and the scooter and I smashed into the stone wall taking all the skin off my left leg. (I rode it back to return it.) One year later my knee dislocated (didn't realize the damage at the time of the moped accident). I had 2 surgeries and a year of physical therapy to get my mobility back. It was a nightmare and to this day I can't even look at a moped.

Okay, I'll throw in my two cents as a local.

First, in the interests of full disclosure, I've never owned a car and have ridden a bike for 35 years and NEVER (touches wood, throws salt over shoulder and clutches rabbit's foot) had an accident.

Second, many visitors DO always rent bikes, always have a good time and are not involved in accidents. HOWEVER, they are usually youngish and experienced at riding bikes at home.

Third, and this is the big BUT - you're here for a vacation: to have a great experience in a very short time. Why even risk dodging our increasingly frantic traffic, with traffic rules you are not familiar with, and your attention split between the road and the scenery, when there's a perfectly good alternative?

Fourth, and here's my point, the public transport system in conjunction with the clean taxis (with friendly and knowledgeable drivers thrown in for free), is so good, why on earth WOULDN'T you use it? You can focus on sightseeing, not get lost, not get sunburnt, not have the unique experience of being tailgated at a range of two feet by a fast-moving bus or truck, plus, you can have a drink or several.

Fifth, and finally, isn't it much better to go home with happy memories rather than a nasty case of road rash (which is what we call it when you come off your bike and remove most of the skin off your knee, elbow or foot)?

You're on a cruise, after all - why risk it? Just remember RULE ONE...

Have Fun!

Been riding scooters/mopeds in Bermuda as a viistor for 39 years! When I began, a helmut was not required. Not that I am recommending that!

While I respect everyone's opinion here, I must say, I have always been careful, careful of the left side, careful not to drink and ride, and careful to stay off busy roads wtih riders less experienced (Front Street in Hamilton for one).

I can see how a tourist could easily get disoriented, overwhelmed by traffic, etc.

I think they could do a better job of ensuring a tourist is capable of handling the scooter/moped, before turning them loose on the roads.

If you are cautious, a good driver and take special care for the left side, in my opinion it is still a great way to get around. I know a lot of people won't agree, but hey, I live in New York and just gonig to work every day on the buses and subways is a huge risk.

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived in Bermuda for a year. I have to say, there is no better way to see the Island than on a scooter.

But it is dangerous.

I got in a bad accident the first month I lived in Bermuda, but then managed to head out every day afterwards on a scooter some place or another without accident.

The thing is when you FIRST rent a scooter you really have no appreciation of how dangerous it is. The left side, of the road thing was amazingly easy to pick up on but the paying attention to what you are doing was much harder.

There are beautiful things to look at whereever you go, so the temptation is to look at the scenery and not at the road. You can't do this. If you want to look at the scenery, stop and look at the scenery. Otherwise pay attention to the road.

It is actually easiest to drive in high traffic areas where you can pretty much just follow the scooter/car in front of you. On your own driving along South Shore the temptation is to open it up and throw caution to the wind. Okay, open it up if you must, but remain very very cautious.

I am planning to rent a scooter on my upcoming cruise, but am I still apprehensive. Thank god the speed limit is 25k.

• 4 weeks later...

So now that I am back from my Bermuda cruise, I feel obligated to relate my experience with scooters.

I had wanted to rent them for the first day in Bermuda because we arrived on a Sunday which means there is a Sunday schedule for ferry and bus. I didn't want to be tied down to a schedule that limited our time at the beach.

We went to Oleanders at the Dockyard to rent a scooter. They were very nice and once we were outfitted, we did a test run around the fort. Then they made us do another. Still not satisfied, they made us do one more. It was on this third try that my DD's boyfriend lost control, jumped a curb and hit a sign.

Once they made sure he was ok (which he was luckily. Just a scrape on his toe), they made it clear that they would not be renting him a scooter and suggested that we all take the bus instead.

So we did.

And it was fine.

We had fun at the beach. Took a cab back to the ship.

And we had a wonderful vacation.

Archived