What to do in Seoul-11 hrs?

rti

We have a layover in Seoul from 8am to 5:30pm. Any ideas on what to do in that amount of time? I understand that town is 90 minutes away. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!;)

In 2003, on my way home from China, I had a four hour layover in Seoul. A couple people in our tour group just hired a taxi outside the airport for a sightseeing tour for a few hours - I thought it was a brilliant idea and wished I had done it as well.

I've had way too many long layovers there.

Choices:

1) Rent day room. There is a facility within the secure area so you do not need to go through security or passport control. They offer light meals there, but the food is better at the "regular" restaurants. If you are flying Air Korea Biz class, the food in the lounge is good; fi flying them 1st class, it is excellent. Showers, etc. available in both lounges (in case you decide not to get a day room). Asiana's lounges is nice, also if you are flying them, and they have sleeping rooms available. (It might be my bad luck, but there was never one free when I needed it).

2) Head into town. The railroad is scheduled to open this year all the way to Seoul. (maybe it is open already). If it is available, I'd suggest getting into town that way. If not, there are express buses going to various places in town.

3) Head to Songdo International City .. right by the airport. This is an artificial business city, but there is some good shopping (or so I am told).

4) Head over to Incheon which has a few sites and some good restaurants. (note: I really LIKE Korean cooking and kimchee, so take that into account)

Paul

Thank you for the ideas! I tried to see if the train is up and running. No luck so far, but I will continue searching! Thanks again!:)

Incheon airport offers transit tours.

http://asiaenglish.visitkorea.or.kr/ena/SI/SI_EN_3_5_1.jsp

If you'd like to do it yourself:

Take a bus to Seoul and buy a day pass for the Seoul Tour Bus.

http://en.seoulcitybus.com/sub.php?PN=course_boarding&mainNum=2&subNum=21

More info about Seoul city bus tour:

http://www.seoulstopover.com/program/citytour.asp?code=W

When I was looking at a 12 hour layover in Korea, I was planning on doing this tour to kill time but I decided to have a short connection at Hongkong instead.

We have a layover in Seoul from 8am to 5:30pm. Any ideas on what to do in that amount of time? I understand that town is 90 minutes away. Any suggestions would be great! Thank you!;)

Firstly, make sure you have the time. I have been to Korea many times and, like any other large city, the traffic can take much longer in peak hours.

Get the train into the city and go look at the Royal Palace, and, of course, go for the Korean BBQ with the obligatory kimchee. Both are well worth the effort. :D

If you plan to leave the airport, make certain that you allow ample time to get through the airport check points when you return. If your flight is leaving at a peak time , I've seen it where line to go through the customs screening checkpoint is over an hour wait time. If it were me , I'd plan to be back at the airport no less than 2 1/2 hours before your flights board timing.

As one other poster already stated traffic can be terrible trying to get back to the airport at a peak time.

Are there any sights to see around the airport? I'm a little nervous now to leave the airport. The traffic sounds like it can be terrible! Thanks again for the suggestions....:)

Archived