Which cruise line?

KAWS

I'd like to know fellow CC members' opinion on the best cruise line to go to Hawaii. We're planning to take our best friends with us (who have never cruised before) with us when we celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary in 2012. I know this is still a ways away, but before you know it, it will be time to book. We always try to do this about a year out so that we can choose our exact location (looking most likely for full aft cabins).

I'm sort of discounting Carnival because I don't think our friends would be too impressed with the lively decor but we've only sailed with them, RCCL and Princess. I like both of those equally so wondered if one of those would be best suited or should I also be looking somewhere else.

I want this to be a cruise to remember -- for them on their first cruise (and I've been blathering on and on about cruising to them for years so I now need to back it all up :p) and for us for a really special 30th anniversary celebration.

Any thoughts?

Yes I would have - and I did AFTER I posted my question.

However, they were talking about 7 day cruises and I guess I should have also mentioned we're looking for a 10 or 12 day cruise.

I did a little research re Princess line and saw Royal Princess which is a much smaller ship than we're used to. That's not a bad thing - just an observation. It just got me to thinking that perhaps others had some opinions that I could benefit from and maybe some others that haven't answered previous threads might want to comment as well.

You're looking at a one-way mainland-Hawaii or Hawaii-mainland during the spring or fall repositionings? Those are the ones that are 10 to 13 nights, depending. Keep in mind that there are not that many of them and that they include several (at least 4) sea days in a row. I mention this because I would have some qualms about a first cruise including that many sea days unless you know with certainty that your friends will like that. Even many of us who have a number of cruises under our belts don't like that many sea days all at once.

In any case, for the one-way repositioning cruises, you'll be looking at Vancouver or Ensenada as the mainland port. I'd think Vancouver would be your first choice. I think either RCI or Princess would be a good choice. Have you looked at HAL as well? Also, some cruise lines have been minimizing their ships in Alaska, which also minimizes the number of Hawaii repositioning cruises available. I'm not sure which lines might be doing additional one-way cruises, but I believe that RCI, Princess, and HAL have all had some over the years.

What is your and their "style"? Do you want busy, busy, busy with a ton of stuff to do onboard during the sea days? Would you prefer a more quiet environment? That's a really important thing to know before any of us could consider which line or ship might suit you best.

beachchick

If you want the cruise to be REALLY special, I would suggest 10 days around Tahiti and skip Hawaii. OR, take the Hawaii to Papeete cruise that Princess offers. Either one is fabulous, we have sailed both many many times. If you are set on seeing Hawaii, take the Hawaii to Tahiti 12 day cruise, you will see the best of both that way. ;) Enjoy!

Archived