Princess veteran: what should I expect on RCI?

I have been avidly reading the RCI board since I booked my cruise on the Vision of the Seas (7/18 Baltics) Although I am Elite on Princess, I have sailed 4 other times on Royal Caribbean, but the last was 7 years ago.

The thread about bringing my own shampoo and conditioner (Princess has nice toiletries) got me thinking about the differences between the lines and what I should expect: the good, the bad and the neutral (nothing is ever ugly on any cruise!)

So, Royal Caribbean experts who have been on Princess: please fill me in!

I have been avidly reading the RCI board since I booked my cruise on the Vision of the Seas (7/18 Baltics) Although I am Elite on Princess, I have sailed 4 other times on Royal Caribbean, but the last was 7 years ago.

The thread about bringing my own shampoo and conditioner (Princess has nice toiletries) got me thinking about the differences between the lines and what I should expect: the good, the bad and the neutral (nothing is ever ugly on any cruise!)

So, Royal Caribbean experts who have been on Princess: please fill me in!

You will find more similar than different IMO, but I´ve only been on one Princess cruise yet. They are not the same for sure, but it´s only small things that take them apart in my book and there was things I liked better on both.

What comes to my mind right now is I lsightly like the layout of RCI ships better (easier to navigate) and there´s the centrum with all the glass enabling great views of the seas. Cabins are bigger on RCI I think. I also liked the layout of the buffet better on Royal, while I thought it was easier to find a seat on Princess. Food in general I have to give the edge in quality to Princess. Princess still has the pillow chocolates, if that is important. As you mentioned toiletries, they might have been slightly better than on Royal.

We have sailed both. Now, please, this is not a knock on Princess, but when asked by friends, we have always replied that we have found Princess to be "vanilla".

Nothing wrong, nothing, absolutely wrong. Just nothing memorable. the word vanilla seems more gentle that bland. But we have also used bland to describe Princess. If pressed it may be the crew on Princess is efficient, and good at their jobs, but seem to lack a "warmth" that you get with contact from RCI staff.

Will we cruise Princess again, absolutely.

Archived