Zuiderdam 5056

lisah168

I am trying to book a quad balcony on this ship for next year to Alaska. Judging from the deck plan, this cabin seems to have a slightly larger balcony than the neighbor cabins 5058-5062 due to the cutback of the ship. Is this true or is this just my wishful thinking?

For a VF quad cabin, which one would you prefer?

For Alaska Inside Passage cruise, is the port-side cabin better than the ses-side?

We are going on a cruise next month in a quad on the Oosterdam. I have never been on HAL so can't answer your question directly. We chose VD4167 (VD4155 would have been even better). If you can afford the price increase to VD deck 4 cabins have a deeper balcony. I also like that we are just one stairway away from the promenade and a public bathroom. We are traveling with our girls 8 and 14, it will be a tight fit.

IMO on a round-trip side does not matter. When you are in particularly scenic cruising areas I don't believe you should be on a side cabin veranda anyway, but in some place where you can see both sides.

Enjoy the Great Land! :)

Just returned from Z 5032 so can't truly answer your questions but it seems that all 5th deck balconies have the plexiglass. The 4th deck balcony extended about 1 1/2 ft. deeper than ours but kept me from dropping my camera into the ocean! All those above us were the same depth as ours so you can go out in your robe and no one can see you.

On our Alaskan inside passage cruise we were port side and our friends on the starboard side seemed to spend more time our our balcony than theirs. Seems when looking at the map however that starboard should be better.?

Thank you all!

bookwoman2, are you bothered by the lifeboat beneath you?

MysticalMagic, VD is about $200 more. I would consider VD but I prefer on a higher floor and also more toward middle of the ship...

• 3 weeks later...
Here's a pic of the quad opened up:

attachment.php?attachmentid=56038&d=1188879191

We did the same thing with the king - we put our heads down at the bottom. I couldn't stand having the upper so close to my face the other way. I was also afraid I'd forget and sit up - maybe knock myself out!

I prefer the Carnival arrangement where the sofa is a twin bed and the upper comes down over the sofa. There always seemed to be plenty of space between the two beds on Carnival - not like our experience with the HAL uppers.

Archived