Ease my mind about AO on Freedom, please

nannybeth

Hi, we are sailing on FOS in August. DS just turned 3 and is not fully potty trained. He is in no hurry and accidents dont seem to bother him. Please reassure me that we will still have a fun vacation if we cannot take him to Adventure Ocean.

There is so much to do even for a non-potty trained child. There is a kiddie pool for children in diapers on Freedom class ships, there is putt-putt, you can check out bags of Fisher Price toys, there are all kinds of lounges and decks to explore during the day. Sometimes nobody else is using the sport court, and he can run around out there. The Promenade always has something going on. And there are always Cafe Promenade and the Windjammer to check out for cookies, etc. You'll find plenty to do.

thanks...after I posted I realized how bad my post sounded...its just that I've been looking sooo forward to having alone time with my hubby that I lost focus. Thanks for not bashing me! lol

thanks...after I posted I realized how bad my post sounded...its just that I've been looking sooo forward to having alone time with my hubby that I lost focus. Thanks for not bashing me! lol

You can also get in room babysitters in the evening for some adult, alone time. Nothing wrong with wanting to be with your hubby!

You've still got 2 months...and it's getting warmer, so letting him "wet himself" (not in a diaper!) and feel it, is an option for you! He could train himself quickly using that method!

And even if he doesn't...you wills still have a great time...do make use of the in-cabin babysitting for nights out with hubby!

Oh, no judging from this corner!!! I completely understand wanting (NEEDing) some one on one time with your hubby. :) But, as others have said, there is so much to do that I feel confident that you'll have a great time! AND... definitely spend some $$$ and hire the babysitters. You can give the sitters permission to take your child on a walk around the ship, or they can stay in the cabin - whatever you're comfortable with. Best of all, you'll get some alone time and can enjoy some of the ship's nightlife (or day time activities!) without your little one. :)

Hi, we are sailing on FOS in August. DS just turned 3 and is not fully potty trained. He is in no hurry and accidents dont seem to bother him. Please reassure me that we will still have a fun vacation if we cannot take him to Adventure Ocean.

We had a similar situation. We were having trouble finishing potty training with our 3 year old before a spring break cruise. We used the cruise as an incentive for getting him potty trained. We told him that he couldn't go on the "big ship" if he didn't get potty trained. We created a chart to track his progress and rewarded him weekly.

I'm not saying it will work for every child, but it worked for ours. We made the "big ship" such a big deal and treat that he was SO excited to go he easily finished his training.

Give it a try. Make it an incentive and see what happens. :)

Good luck!

With two months to go you could find he will be completely dry by then. When you are ready abandon the nappies (they are too good and children don't get a wet sensation) choose a weekend when you have nothing else planned, have a potty ready and get your DS if he needs a wee every 10 mins then get him to sit on the potty. I did this with DD and it was incredible, she was trained in a day (I had no luck trying to train her in nappies so this was a last resort!!)

We all need "quality time" and I'm sure that in two months your DS will be off in AO having fun while you relax by the pool. :)

Sometimes nobody else is using the sport court, and he can run around out there.

Last year on Indy the under 3 group reserved the sports court and brought out all kinds of electric kid-sized vehicles (jeeps, cadillacs, motorbikes, etc.). There weren't many kids using them and alot of them stood empty, so I asked if my only-just-turned-3-year-old could have a go. They were happy to let him join in and he had a blast!

You don't need AO for your child to have a good time. And hire a babysitter!

Archived