Best hangover remedy

I swear by tomato juice or a V8.

The thought of having a V8 while hungover just made me throw up a little in my mouth! :eek: Ick.

Gatorade, a fountain diet coke, and some greasy food. I also have the 4 o'clock rule--you're useless until 4 o'clock, then you're fine.

I also find that if I stick to clear liquors, I am less hungover. My doctors said clear liquor is better for my migraines, so vodka it is!! :D

I have a great recipe for a real tasty drink, a killer drink, but you will pay the price!

It's called a Beer Margarita, I usually make them during the summer.

This makes 2 pitchers:

6 pack of Tecate Beer

1 Bottle of Tequila

2 cans of frozen LIME-ade

Mix 3 beers, 1 can of Lime-ade in pitcher. Next, fill the empty can of Limeade with tequila, add to pitcher and mix. You can add ice and drink up!

I caution the ladies: BE CAREFUL when drinking these, they seem harmless in the beginning, but you might end up doing things that you normally wouldn't do after drinking a few!! BE ADVISED!

I have a great recipe for a real tasty drink, a killer drink, but you will pay the price!

It's called a Beer Margarita, I usually make them during the summer.

This makes 2 pitchers:

6 pack of Tecate Beer

1 Bottle of Tequila

2 cans of frozen LIME-ade

Mix 3 beers, 1 can of Lime-ade in pitcher. Next, fill the empty can of Limeade with tequila, add to pitcher and mix. You can add ice and drink up!

I caution the ladies: BE CAREFUL when drinking these, they seem harmless in the beginning, but you might end up doing things that you normally wouldn't do after drinking a few!! BE ADVISED!

Ohh sounds good...too bad they frown on drinking at work ;)

This is in response to the "dangerous cruise drinks" thread...

I'm fairly new to drinking (only 3 years) although I'm a middle-ager. So far, I've managed to avoid getting drunk--mostly to avoid the hangover and/or because I was driving. But I have a feeling I might be tempted to over-imbibe on my first cruise. (Pina coladas--Yum!!:) ). Just in case--what's the best hangover remedy? I would think the cure would be more difficult on a ship with the rocking motion and no store/pharmacy readily available...

I know you're middle-aged and "know better", but if you think you might over-imbibe, be sure you're with a friend or family member. A hangover is bad enough without having to worry what happened the previous evening, especially if you're not used to the effects of alcohol.

The best things that I've encountered after being nehind the bar for 6 years are as follows.

Before you drink you should:

Be hydrated, have a nice meal (preferably something with a little grease), and a smile (nobody likes a sad or angry drunk.)

While drinking:

Water, Water, Water, Water, oh yeah and Water... Know your limits, if you're drinking too fast it will stockpile in your system and no matter how much water you drink you'll still feel terrible the next day. You should also remeber the pharmocology of alchohol says that your body will breakdown and absorb the alcohol first, so make sure to space out your drinks based on your limits. One last thing to remember while drinking is to have fun! That is why you're drinking... right?

Before bed: Pizza or something similar is a great snack that will digest slow enough that theres something in you in the AM. And of course more water.

When you wake:

If you're hardcore take a shot or drink a beer! and repeat the cycle...

For the rest of the world, breakfast is a good idea even if you dont feel hungry. Start with Advil and water and move on to the food. Bananas, fruit or veggy juice (no OJ it's too acidic), EGGS, toast, and bacon will all really help to diminish that wooziness. If you can handle it, get out of bed! Laying there keeps your digestive processes at a lower pace and you need to clear out all of those bad things left in your system. After you've eaten and feel better you still need to stay hydrated, so keep up on the water or gatorade type drinks.

I hope that helps!

I remember something that my Dad used to do if he'd partied too hard the night before. It sounds totally gross and I've never been able to pull this off myself but he swore by it. Pour a large glass of tomato juice and break a whole raw egg into it. Then down the hatch. Apparently it's supposed to work like a charm if you can keep it down. He used to call it a Manitoba red-eye.

For me, it's best to avoid the foo-foo drinks in the first place. I'll stlck with a high-ball if I know I'm going to be drinking a bit. Those sugary drinks will kill you the next day. Yes - I've learned the hard way. My son-in-law introduced me to cosmos and I lost count. It seems that I had quite a good time that night but I was sick for the next three days. I've never had another one. Even so my own remedy is 2 ibuprofen and 2 x 8 oz glasses of water before bed. It usually works.

A Bloody Mary in the morning always cured my hangovers. LOL

Seriously though, don't mix with wine. If you're drinking wine, stay away from the hard stuff. That always eff's me up. And lots of water before bed with some advil always helps as well. Just make sure to keep yourself hydrated.

Also, don't drink cheap wine. (not talking price here). Stay with quality wines. Better quality wines never give me a headache.

As (nearly) everyone else has said water, water, water. Before you drink, before you sleep and again in the morning. I've always found that when I wake up, if I make myself get out of bed and start moving. The sooner you make yourself get active, the sooner you start feeling better. Allow yourself to stay in bed all day and you'll feel awful all day.

In the event of a hangover greasy food & chocolate milk fix me right up. Im not much of a fast food eater but when Im hung over for some reason I crave a BigMac and some greasy salty fries.

Bread, pizza, burger...something doughy with water and ibuprofen. My wife was disgusted when I came home from a night of long islands last Friday and proceeded to eat two slices of bread straight from the bag. I put a piece of cheese on the second one. I had a slight headache the next morning, but still made it to work on time.

Bread, pizza, burger...something doughy with water and ibuprofen. My wife was disgusted when I came home from a night of long islands last Friday and proceeded to eat two slices of bread straight from the bag. I put a piece of cheese on the second one. I had a slight headache the next morning, but still made it to work on time.

Ladies and gentlemen, this man is from WI. Listen to his advice! :D They know how to drink!!!!!

I know the answer to this one!! For me the best way to prevent/minimize effects of a hangover go like this (Multiple steps but very effective):

1) Take a B vitamin supplement before you start drinking.

2) Get DRUNK!!

3) Before sleeping take another B vitamin and drink a large glass of water mixed with lemon lime Gatorade powder. (Very easy to bring on board)

That should do the trick for you. If you do wake up with a hungover feeling then you move on to these steps.

1) Take a swig of a 5 hour energy drink (I don't do the whole thing because I avoid caffeine) It contains a LOT of B6 and B12 in liquid form.

2) Drink an Alkaseltzer Morning relief. (The name might be different now. I think something like Alkaseltzer Rise and Shine)

With these steps you will either completely avoid a hangover or recover in aprox 15-30 minutes in the morning. You also need to remember to balance your drinking over the day with water/Gatorade. If you allow yourself to get dehydrated no amount of B vitamins will save you.

I have also don't the greasy breakfast that was mentioned and I agree that it does help.

Hope this helps!!

My hang over cure: less drowsy dramamine!

I figured this out because I hardly ever had a hangover on cruises. One night on a cruise, my dh said that he thought for absolute sure that I would be sick the next day and (thank goodness) I was not. I started thinking about what I do differently on a cruise and it is that I take the dramamine everyday.

Since then, when I am not on a cruise, but have been out drinking and had a little too much, I take the less drowsy dramamine before I go to bed and feel fine the next day. I am tired from the medicine, but I can deal with that much better than feeling nauseous all day.

Alka seltzer also helps.

Archived