Best hangover remedy

Advil is my friend the night before, greasy breakfast and alot of diet coke help too.

I would try the tomato juice w/raw egg, it sounds good, protein and salt!

I have been hung over enough to know I dont like it, and can avoid it most of the time.

On cruise ships I still drink more than I would at home, and I do one thing I know I shouldnt, but really love.

I have a scotch on the rocks at the concierge, okay maybe more than one;)

Then at dinner I have red wine. yeah maybe more than one;)

It never fails about 3 in the AM I wake up with a POUNDING headache. A few advil and a few more hours of sleep and I am ready to party again.

If someone told me they kept doing something that gave them a headache like that I would think them an idiot, but for some reason, I (not and idiot) do it every cruise.

WEll what I do is after a night of drinking is to grab a huge plate of greasy food and chow down. I try to eat something with bread so usually its cheeseburgers that I eat. Then wash it all down with a tall glass of water with some advil. The next morning, no headache.

If you do wake up with a hangover, I think the best thing is to have another alcoholic drink. Its kinda like your body is suffering from withdrawal sypmtoms and a drink takes care of that.

My hangover cure is lots of water, B12 supplement and bananas for the potassium. Advil if I have a headache. And a greasy breakfast for comfort food if I need it.

I might try the bloody mary on the cruise though.

Take it from a Navy Sailor....A meal of steak or at least a big hamburger before drinking will do wonders. Stay away from the sweet drinks. The water during and before bed is a major step in the right direction. The pros drink vodka and water but if you need a sweet drink, A "little" splash of cranberry juice with a shot of vodka on ice is a nice drink. In the morning if you are hurting I have found gatorade and saltine crackers do the trick.

Alka Seltzer has a table specifically for this - Wake Up Call. CVS and Walgreen's carry it I think. It settles the tummy, has ibuprofen and caffeine in it. Not that I would know any of this or anything......;)

Yep another fan of water, Advil and something greasy in the morning. I also never mix anything anymore - stick with one poison only. This aging process just makes those hangovers from college look like child's play.

Look, most of us are "old enough to know better." But a little responsible tipsiness on vacation doesn't harm anyone if we behave reasonably well in public. Seeing people away from the stress of real life cutting loose and having fun is part of what makes a cruise a fun experience.

I totally agree with the "beer before liquor, never sicker" and "liquor before beer, never fear". Tested that one too many times in my 20s. :D

Although he rarely drinks now (only a margarita or 2 on cruises) DH used to be a 'wild and crazy guy" in his mis spent youth. He swears that at least 4 cheap Taco Bell tacos can cure any hangover, so apparently he's part of the greasier the better crowd of fools. That makes me sick just thinking about it, but there you have it from a (former) pro-boozer. I just stick to one drink plus a glass or two of wine at dinner, and I wake up ready to roar!;)

I wanted to share my thoughts on this topic. Seeing as I love to drink and last cruise managed to push my self to the brink. (dont let a lady at the bar calll you a softy)

****big point**** DO NOT ever ... i mean EVER TAKE ADVIL during or after drinking****

Not a smart idea and wont help.

That said...

Part 1. eat a nice big meal with healthy helping of carbs. Reason being more food in the stomach the longer it takes for the alcohol to absorb into the blood stream. (Good thing ) have a banana too

Part2... Drinking water as everyone says helps re hydrate you which is good.. Make sure if you do drink after a day in the sun... drink power aid/ gatorade. THis has electrolites ... IE helps retain fluid. where salts are water follow. More salt in system more water in system.

Part3 ... PACE your self. Remember it takes 1 hour for a shot to be metabolized. So if you take 20 shots (just saying) in one hour. it takes a few minutes for it to hit your Central Nervous system then it will take an hour to leave your system... This will definately cause you to get sick...

pace your self to about max 5( probably like 48 dollars ) drinks per hour if you are over 200 pounds... Less if you are less then that.

Part 4... Drink more water... every 2 drinks have water... And "Break the seal" its important to get this stuff out of your system as fast as possible...

Part 5... Your body has 2 defenses against Toxicity...

1... The Pass out... your body does this intentionally so you cant ingest more alcohol.

2... Emesis - Throwing up. your body has to much alcohol in the system and has more in the stomach... so Emesis will cause the excess in the stomach to be purged... ITs a good thing...

Part 5.5 if your not sick after drinking... Stop over at the promanade cafe and eat 2 or three little sandwhichs (the snack)

Part6... Greasy foods in the morning just are a good comfort food ... help absorb the last bits of alcohol...and Chamomile tea and slowly sipping ginger ale have helped me in the past

6.5... If you really have a horrible headach...go to the infirmary. (THIS IS WORST CASe scenario... cause they charge a lot.)

The medical staf can give you Oxygen in NRB (non rebreather) it is the best cure for the headache from hang over.. INstant cure).... and and IV of Sodium Chloride ... Saline .. 500- 1k ml and the "banana bag" pottasium infustion (unless you have heart problems) and you will feel better. THis is a last resort... cost to much to go to the infirmary

part 7... Drink responsibly and have Fun...

Archived