Coral World to Coki beach...........walk?

GinDon

We did this excursion on our own 5 years ago. They are connected. We went to Coral World first, to try to beat the heat of the day. From what I remember, there was a walkway directly from Coral World to Coki Beach. No need to go on the road.

Here is info from the Coral World website. Give yourself time for traffic.

Coral World is located adjacent to Coki Beach on Coki Point, a peninsula on the northeast shore of St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.

By Taxi: Taking a taxi is the easiest way to get to Coral World. Taxis are readily available at the cruise ship docks, hotels and the downtown shopping district. The taxi fare from the Havensight cruise ship dock and downtown is approximately $9 per person for two or more passengers. The taxi fare from the Crown Bay cruise ship dock is approximately $10 per person for two or more passengers. Rates vary from each hotel depending on its location. The taxi ride from downtown and the cruise ship docks is 20-25 minutes long

MorningGlory is correct - the two are connected by a wooden dock-like walkway. Then you have to walk down a flight of steps to get down to the beach.

It is probably all of a minute walk - at most. We went back and forth a few times during the day. First went to Coral World and then to Coki but went back to Coral World a few times to use the restrooms/shower and get lunch/drinks at their snack bar.

The ride from the Crown Bay terminal to Coral World/Coki is about 25 minutes or so.

I'm considering a Coral World/Coki Beach day. How much time should I plan to spend there in order to see it all and not be rushed? The Carnival tour including the helmet dive/underwater walk is 3.5 hours. Is that enough?

I'm considering a Coral World/Coki Beach day. How much time should I plan to spend there in order to see it all and not be rushed? The Carnival tour including the helmet dive/underwater walk is 3.5 hours. Is that enough?

I really depends... One thing I would recommend is to check out Coral Worlds website http://www.coralworldvi.com/ and visit the exhibit link - feeding and show times. You can read about the different shows and see what you are interested in. Many of them are very enjoyable and hands on.

We probably got to Coral World around 10:30/11 or so and left Coki around 3:00pm or so. We took our time walking around Coral World, feeding the Lorikeets, partaking in some of the feedings/shows and we also signed up for the Sea Lion Encounter at 12:30pm.

We spent time at Coki and swam. We were in no rush and took our time throughout the day.

Coral World is not large, so it is pretty easy to walk though in a short amount of time. It just depends on how much time you want to spend at the exhibits/shows/feedings etc.

Did you book the Sea Lion encounter when you got to Coral World or before. We are thinking of doing the Sea Lion, and my DH wants to do the Snuba, I think. Should we book them ahead of time?

We originally wanted to do the Sea Lion Swim (which we tried to book through the ship) but it was all full.

I was hoping if we went ourselves to Coral World we could book the Sea Lion Swim directly with them but unfortunately again all the slots were full. That is why we ended up doing the Sea Lion Encounter instead. We booked it at Coral World ourselves as soon as we got there. We also were asked if we wanted to sign up for the Snuba and some other people did sign up for Snuba, then and there, in person.

We also were trying to sign up for the turtle encounter but all the times were filled up for that too.

However, given the high demand for these , I personally wouldn't take my chances. If I ever go back, I will be sure to reserve any activities in advance, so I am guaranteed a spot doing what I want. So, yes, I would book ahead of time.

If you are interested, I posted a more detailed review about the Sea Lion Encounter here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1198713

We had a ball and I am sure you will too. I love my pics and videos from that day!

Thank you so much for the info. looking forward to this! I have read some not so great reviews of Coral World glad to hear you had a good time.

We did have a great time. Yes, there have been so-so reviews but you have to keep in mind that you are on an island and that you are not getting the Baltimore Aquarium, Boston Aquarium etc. (which I have visited both many times)

It is right on the water so the views are spectacular - many picture ops. The majority of it, is outside - where else do you get an outdoor aquarium?! So, you get to have a leisurely day in the sun and can enjoy a beautiful beach right next door.

I definitely recommend trying to catch some of the feedings and shows because it makes it that much more enjoyable. You get to interact with the trainers and exhibits and learn new things. Sure, someone can probably breeze through Coral World in fifteen minutes if they wanted to, but they are not getting the true experience and enjoyment.

Being from a large city, I really enjoyed the smaller setting and slower pace of Coral World. There was a lot more one-on-one with trainers/marine life that you would never get at a large aquarium or Sea World etc.

And the Sea Lion encounter will be an added bonus for the day. I haven't seen anywhere around me in the states that you can have a sea lion encounter! Everyone was jealous when they saw our pics and videos with Omar (the sea lion)

So as long as you know you are not going to Sea World, I am sure you will have a good day. ;)

Sometimes you just can't please everyone, thus the mediocre reviews.

OK 1 more question! When should we schedule the Sea Lion Encounter, we do want to do the feedings so not sure of the schedule. Are the feedings done mostly in the morning.

OK 1 more question! When should we schedule the Sea Lion Encounter, we do want to do the feedings so not sure of the schedule. Are the feedings done mostly in the morning.

Here is a link to Coral World's site with the current feeding/show times:

http://coralworldvi.com/exhibits/feeding-show-times.html

You can click on the shows for further descriptions.

Some of them are done multiple times during the day. I believe we did the 12:30 pm Sea Lion Encounter. They requested that we all meet at the observatory 15 minutes prior to our time. This time worked well for us as we were able to catch the morning feedings/shows.

One other recommendation - try visiting the Lorikeet exhibit at an off time. We went right after the Sea Lion presentation (if you do the Sea Lion presentation get their early because it is inside and you won't be able to see well). We had the whole Lorikeet enclosure to ourselves. You can buy a small cup of honey nectar for a dollar or two, to feed to them. The staffer was informative and answered our questions too.

Once everyone started to show up for the Lorikeet presentation the Lorikeets started to scare easier, so I was happy we had time to ourselves with them. We also stayed for a few minutes of the presentation, just to learn a little more.

Did you book the Sea Lion encounter when you got to Coral World or before. We are thinking of doing the Sea Lion, and my DH wants to do the Snuba, I think. Should we book them ahead of time?

We had the sea lion encounter booked in 2008, which we had to cancel due to an injury 2 days prior to my cruise. Anyway, for that one, I booked directly through Coral World. This year (April), we were heading back to Coral World and I tried to book the same encounter, but they called me back and said that they had a contract through the cruise line and couldnt book direct anymore. So, after reviewing the cost through Princess, we decided to just go to Coral world without the Sea Lion encounter.

Coral World is a neat place. There are not a ton of animals, but it is a neat place. We got more fun out of all the Iguanas running around. We saw the biggest one Ive ever seen up close and it scared me to death! lol! Anyway, one thing they have there is a Helmet Dive (??) You have a helmet on to breath and you walk along the ocean floor through the fish. It looked really neat. Not sure of the additional cost, but we watched some people do this.

The Park is small so it doesnt take long to get through. They have a few shops that are neat and a couple of shows, but we didnt have time for the shows on this tour. Just walking around and seeing the beach for a few minutes took most of the time which was about 1 and 1/2 hour.

We did go down to the beach and I can tell you its quiet and beautiful there. I would definitely go back just to get to go to this beach. Amazing! On the beach is a local man who makes fresh fruit smoothies. Its the best smoothie Ive had. Worth every penny! Cant wait to go back here!

We did have a great time. Yes, there have been so-so reviews but you have to keep in mind that you are on an island and that you are not getting the Baltimore Aquarium, Boston Aquarium etc. (which I have visited both many times)

It is right on the water so the views are spectacular - many picture ops. The majority of it, is outside - where else do you get an outdoor aquarium?! So, you get to have a leisurely day in the sun and can enjoy a beautiful beach right next door.

I definitely recommend trying to catch some of the feedings and shows because it makes it that much more enjoyable. You get to interact with the trainers and exhibits and learn new things. Sure, someone can probably breeze through Coral World in fifteen minutes if they wanted to, but they are not getting the true experience and enjoyment.

Being from a large city, I really enjoyed the smaller setting and slower pace of Coral World. There was a lot more one-on-one with trainers/marine life that you would never get at a large aquarium or Sea World etc.

And the Sea Lion encounter will be an added bonus for the day. I haven't seen anywhere around me in the states that you can have a sea lion encounter! Everyone was jealous when they saw our pics and videos with Omar (the sea lion)

So as long as you know you are not going to Sea World, I am sure you will have a good day. ;)

Sometimes you just can't please everyone, thus the mediocre reviews.

Agreed!

Archived