Currency exchange at Vancouver Amtrak station?

Does anyone know whether there is a currency exchange office inside the Vancouver Amtrak station? If so, is it easy to find?

While there isn't at the station, there are ATMs (probably extra-fee)...

however, across the street is the head office VanCity Credit Union (the largest credit union in Canada), perched under and overtop of the Skytrain station

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3653/3433190121_6deb04c2b0_o.jpg

Actually Scott - I believe there is a currency exchange at the Amtrak station as I used it last year after returning from a US trip - and it was still there a couple of weeks ago when i went to pick up some train tickets - so I assume that it is still manned and operating.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks for the information. Although it has been said we don't need Canadian currency when we drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake and back, I thought it might be handy to have some with us. I was thinking perhaps $30-$40 but don't know whether they will change such a small amount. Will find out when we get there. Is the exchange desk easy to find at the station?

Yes - it is near the exit doors on the right hand or west side of the station. It is not a big station so you shouldn't have any trouble finding the kiosk.

Cheers

Dennis

I knew that there was an ATM machine in the the station but didn't know about the Currrency Exchange...but Ut has been there most recently. I am sure that they will exchange $30 or $40 for you but inquire if they have a transaction charge as many will charge a fee over and above their all ready inflated exchange rate. You will also be able to get some $CDN aboard your ship, however, you will find that your $US will be accepted everywhere you are likely to go so it really isn't necessary...unless of course you wish.

I knew that there was an ATM machine in the the station but didn't know about the Currrency Exchange...but Ut has been there most recently. I am sure that they will exchange $30 or $40 for you but inquire if they have a transaction charge as many will charge a fee over and above their all ready inflated exchange rate. You will also be able to get some $CDN aboard your ship, however, you will find that your $US will be accepted everywhere you are likely to go so it really isn't necessary...unless of course you wish.

Currency exchanges aren't always the best place to exchange money. The one at the airport today was buying US$ at 0.96xx (the bank rate today is 1.035)

Currency exchanges aren't always the best place to exchange money. The one at the airport today was buying US$ at 0.96xx (the bank rate today is 1.035)

Depends on the individual exchange, I used to purchase US$ every Friday for years at one that was located on Burrard St. just north of Robson, I think it was called Remo Exchange ... no transaction fees and their exchange rate were always better than RBC's. Here is link to the current wholesale rates that are not available to most of us unless we are buying or selling large amounts of currency. link

Archived