St, Maarten & San Juan w/kids? Excursions

Daisyeln

Heading to St. Maarten and San Juan on our cruise at the end of the month. Anyone been to these destinations with kids? Traveling with our 19 month old and my cousins 6 and 9 year old. Has anyone made it into the El Yunque Rain forest with kids? Hiked? Swam?? Any tips would be appreciated.

Beaches are easy to do without excursions...get a guidebook, so you can pick the right beach/surf for your family! Guidebooks are invaluable in getting the most from your vacation! You should never just head off to somewhere that you know nothing about!

Beaches are easy to do without excursions...get a guidebook, so you can pick the right beach/surf for your family! Guidebooks are invaluable in getting the most from your vacation! You should never just head off to somewhere that you know nothing about!

This might work, but the beaches around San Juan aren't that great, IMHO. Kind of rough, and not that family friendly. St. Maarten, yes, great beaches. In San Juan I would consdier going to either or both of the forts. The larger one is nice to walk around and see all the people flying kites. You could have a picnic there. I've done a few other excursions there, but don't think they would work for a 19 month old.

Have fun!

We are going the end of June and we have a 9 & 6 year old too. The Yunque rainforest sounded great, but after finding out about the long bus ride there and back, we decided to just take a cab and visit the forts. In St. Martin I read about a beach called Gallion on the port board. It is shallow and is said to be a nice beach for kids. You will get lots of information by visiting the port boards on CC.

• 2 weeks later...
Heading to St. Maarten and San Juan on our cruise at the end of the month. Anyone been to these destinations with kids? Traveling with our 19 month old and my cousins 6 and 9 year old. Has anyone made it into the El Yunque Rain forest with kids? Hiked? Swam?? Any tips would be appreciated.

1. SJ - take them to the old fort, you can walk. Don't bother with the tour, the admission price is only around $5.00. Walk the old town. Usually you won't be in SJ that many hours to really see things.

2. St Maarten. The zip line tour is nice, but your kids are too young. If you go to Maho Bay Beach, it is next to the airport, where huge jetliners like 747's and Airbus flys just 50 ft over your head to land. It's really cool for the kids to see. Plus you can get some beach time in.

We did the Seaworld Explorer tour (the boat with windows in the basement like my son said) when the boys were 3 and 5. Had a great time, they got to handle some of the starfish and sea cucumbers that the boat keeps in a tank for display.

Archived