Using Princess Air - help!

dwkjrk

We are booked on the Diamond next December for the Singapore to Sydney cruise. I have been checking air fares that I can upgrade to business and they are very high - almost as much as the cruise fare. Has anyone done this cruise and used the Princess air? How much was it and were you able to upgrade? Any info on how to get reasonable airfare would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Cruise lines purchase the cheapest tickets available and upgrading can be a problem. Especially if you are trying to use ff miles for the upgrade. These airline tickets purchased through the cruise line are NOT upgradeable with ff miles. You may be able to upgrade at the airport for cash, IF there are any seats left in business or first. IF is the big word here.

As for using Princess air, we have done it on the LA to Sydney cruise and on the Sydney to Singapore Cruise twice with RCI. We really had some terrible flights and twice we paid the deviation. These itinerarys are very hard to choose your own flight, even when paying the deviation fee. You pretty much get what they offer.

But I will cross my fingers for you that you draw better flights then we always seem to. And take along the Ambien, it sure helps you get through the flights as it helps to sleep them away.

We're using Princess air from Minneapolis to Sydney with the return out of Bangkok.

Base price is $1200.00 per person...very reasonable. Also..with the exotic locations there are not always alot of flight options...so if you book on your own you'd better have a backup plan is case of flight delays.

Our outbound is on NW nonstop to LAX then Quantas nonstop over to Sydney..layover times are just fine.

Our return was scheduled on Cathay Pacific..Bangkok to Hong Kong to SanFranciso to Minneapolis. Ouch...we paid a $252.00 per person air deviation and got our return changed to NW...Bangkok to Toyko to Minneapolis. We now arrive home at 10am instead of 10pm....we feel that the $252.00 was very well spent!

Yow! We're waiting right now for our Princess Air tickets to Bangkok and home from Beijing (if the Chinese visa comes through--just got a notice of it being a requirement from the TA this morning). The most irritating aspect is that Princess doesn't seat you and your spouse together. The second most irritating factor is you go wherever they get good rates on the routes. We've flown right over "home," only to take a 45 minute flight back later. We've also sat in airports for many hours and then been asked to give up our seats on overbooked flights.

Last year, the airlines Princess Air used for European cruises were so near bankruptcy they hardly served anything. I overheard passengers begging the stewards for food. We carry breakfast bars now, even domestically, where we do pay the $7 for a sandwich.

Pat

Last year, the airlines Princess Air used for European cruises were so near bankruptcy they hardly served anything. I overheard passengers begging the stewards for food. We carry breakfast bars now, even domestically, where we do pay the $7 for a sandwich.
It's not just the airlines that Princess uses -- it's pretty much all airlines. I flew RT between Boston and Orange County (CA) last year on AA and the only thing they served was a small bag of peanuts. I'd done the same RT six months before and was served breakfast (omelet) and lunch (sandwich.) All the airlines are cutting back. It's worth bringing your own food.

Wow - Cathay Pacific runs like the 2nd nicest Pacific service of all the airlines. When I was doing international business that was my boss' favorite! I guess you're glad that the NW schedule suited you better!

I know, I know....I've only heard spectacular things about Cathay Pacific...hated to give them up for NW, but when you live in Mpls one of the perks is being able to go most places with minimum connections.

We have to work the day after we return home...so getting in at 10am instead of 10pm was just too good to pass up.

Guess I'll just have to take another cruise so I can fly Cathay Pacific!!!

Archived