Opinions on the Sovereign anyone?

Reltco

Looking to see if anyone has any recent experiences on the SOTS and whether its fun, lot's of fun or don't waste your time (and $). They have a 4 day Bahamas cruise that fits my schedule and I don't plan on much shore exlporing (i.e. stay onboard and enjoy the ship). I know it's smaller and older but I would assume RCI would make it attractive in some way for a baby-boomer couple.

Thanks

Reltco,

Under "Search" click "Advanced Search", then type "Sovereign" and search titles only.

Many people have spent time writing recent reviews about the Sovereign. Read through them. Then if you have a specific question, people will be more likely to respond.

Gina

Reltco--

In May, DW and I will be on the Sovereign for the 3rd time in 3 years! Love the ship and crew! BTW, we're both late 40's and were just in the middle of the age range on wach of our previous 2 cruises. The ship is older, but the staff and service more than makes up for all the new-fangled bells and whistles, IMHO.

Reltco,

Under "Search" click "Advanced Search", then type "Sovereign" and search titles only.

Many people have spent time writing recent reviews about the Sovereign. Read through them. Then if you have a specific question, people will be more likely to respond.

Gina

The Sovereign just went through a refurbishment in November, so it is all new and sparkly (from what I have read). We are scheduled to sail her in June! Can't wait. I have read all positive reviews since the refurb (except the first and second sailing out of dry dock and all those problems seem to be fixed.)

Maggie

We just got off of SOS last Friday. It was a really good cruise. The refurb. is well done, the ship looks very good. Entertainment was above average or we thought so anyway. Food good. Cabin with newly added balcony was great. Will go again!

Have to agree with Gabbiegirls assessment. Didn't take in any shows, but food was fine, service fine, room fine. Ship showed little signs of her age, refurb has apparently been completed. Even windows in the Windjammer have been cleaned finally! Rock wall (where I spent every possible moment) was great - staff was knowledgeable and accomodating. Would book again in a heartbeat.

Some of our friends just got off the same cruise that Gabbygirl was on. They have cruised Princess and other upscale lines and they stated the food was just as good on the Sovereign as Princess so that says alot to me.

They also stated that service was second to none and the entertainment was wonderful.

The only negative was that even though the ship had recently been through refrub that it looked a little worn.

Just their comments to me. Sovereign is my favorite ship personally, cannot wait to see her again!!!

Tim

We did a 3 night on the Sovereign in September (between Hurricanes) and are booked on another 3 night in May. We loved this ship - can't wait to see her after the refurb. This will be my 14th cruise - 2nd on RCCL and the service was great on the Sovereign. We used to cruise "The Big Red Boat" back when they were associated with Disney and hadn't found the service as good until we were on the Sovereign. Go for it.

It's been 3 years since we sailed the Sovereign so obviously there have been some changes but I loved her. We had the tiniest little inside cabin (with 4 of us!!) but we still had fun. I read so many reviews before we went saying the ship stunk, it was old, the food was awful. We had a fabulous time. With that many people sailing on these ships every week I'd be shocked if they didn't show some wear. And, don't forget when the Sovereign was introduced she was considered the first of the 'superliners'. Seems funny when you compare her to the others now. Enjoy.

Could someone please explain the itinerary to me? How many days are you actually in Nassau? Are you in Nassau the first day until 1:00 am late that night and then at sea the next day or do you stay docked for the night and the next day and then leave at 1:00 am...waking up in Port Canaveral?

cor_dashboarder_bld.gif07-Mar Port Canaveral, Florida 5:00 PM Boardings.gif

08-Mar Cococay, Bahamas 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Tendereds.gif

09-Mar Nassau, Bahamas 7:00 AM Dockeds.gif

10-Mar Nassau, Bahamas 1:00 AM Dockeds.gif

11-Mar Port Canaveral, Florida 9:00 AM Departure

"Are you in Nassau the first day until 1:00 am late that night and then at sea the next day" .........................

Thats the right answer................You have a sea day after leaving Nassau 1am on Thursday morning...cruise all day and then get to PC early Friday morning..

I'm with the majority. We had a great time! We went two weeks before the refurbish and I was very amazed how clean the ship was. Our room steward was sweet, the dining room staff were excellent, and my kids loved Adventure Kids. The food was not bad but anytime I'm not having to cook it's excellent! For the money, it was worth it to us!

Great!

Couple more questions please.

How many formal nights for this cruise?

Does anyone know the price to get into Atlantas?

Is there any one MUST do in Coco Cay? Any area better than the next?

We just returned last Friday. There was 1 formal night. I don't know the cost of the Atlantis. We just walked through their lobby and then found another beach to use. I think others mentioned that if you rent a room at the Comfort Inn, it will allow you use of the facilities at Atlantis. I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong.

Coco cay was really nice. We found that if we walked to the right of the island, the breeze wasn't as cool and it was less crowded. They do have jet skies, parasailing and snorkeling with I'm sure other things. My kids are too young for that so we just enjoyed the beach.

Wonderful information about CocoCay! :)

I think the kids just want to walk through Atlantis as well. How did you get there? Cost? What beach did you end up going to?

It cost of $20.00 each way for 6 of us to get to the Atlantis using a taxi service. That was negotiated. He originally wanted 5.00 a person.

I don't know the name of the beach. The security guard at the Atlantis just told us to walk to the end of the street, turn left and the beach would be two blocks up. It really was a short walk. There was a public entrance and it was near the hotel right next to the Atlantis. As long as my kids were able to get wet (13, 10 & 8) they were happy. The water was a little rough for them, so they didn't stay in long.

• 2 weeks later...
Tim,

I saw you at the rock wall when my kids were climbing. They pointed you out and said that man is here all the time. In fact, I caught you in a picture while I was taking one of my daughter. LOL!

Sorry for the delay in replying Janice, I've been away from the message boards for a while. I did sort of make myself a pest, but they were very friendly to me anyway! I only have the opportunity to climb at home once a week if I'm lucky (unless my girls are home from college), so I really tried to be there every possible moment and still take my wife's wishes into consideration. She understood my pain though and allowed me to stay at "daddy day care" virtually every possible moment. We are planning to cruise with the entire family later in the year when all the girls are on break, and will definitely be fixtures at the rock wall again!

All the best,

Tim

Archived