Evening stop in Victoria

We have a short stay in Victoria....June 24th 7pm-11pm

We'd like to just go look around the area of Fort St and Government St.

I tried to look at the city bus website but got a headache:p.

At that time of day (evening) will:

The bus be running and do they have a bus stop near the terminal?

And what is the bus fare?

Am I right is assuming the shops at such will be open?

I also see that this area should be about a 45 minute walk. Any dangers of walking it instead of the bus?

Thanks for all your help. I believe this is the last port we have to plan.

I can't answer the bus questions, except I do know there is a stop across the street from the port terminal that will take you downtown. You can easily walk it and I don't think it will take 45 minutes and it will be quite safe. At that time of year, there will be daylight until after 9:00 p.m.

Your ship will have a transfer bus service operating for that trip to the Inner harbour. Costing around $7.00

the walk time would be closer to 20 mins. and through a relatively residential area.

We have a short stay in Victoria....June 24th 7pm-11pm

We'd like to just go look around the area of Fort St and Government St.

I tried to look at the city bus website but got a headache:p.

At that time of day (evening) will:

The bus be running and do they have a bus stop near the terminal?

And what is the bus fare?

Am I right is assuming the shops at such will be open?

I also see that this area should be about a 45 minute walk. Any dangers of walking it instead of the bus?

Thanks for all your help. I believe this is the last port we have to plan.

From the cruise terminal (Ogden point), exit toward the street and to your left (don't cross the street), there's a bus stop. Take any bus (it will be a 30 or #31) and it will take you downtown for $2.50. Reverse the process to get back to the cruise terminal.

map of how to do it: (zoomed in on cruise terminal) http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.416783,-123.372688&spn=0.019568,0.04283&z=15

Lots of taxis and shuttle buses; probably cost around $10.00 for the taxi and a little less for the shuttle bus.

The posted taxi rate at the Ogden Point cruise terminal is $8.50 each way. The shuttle bus which is operated by CVS Cruise Victoria (wish they would come up with a new name) is $7 rtn. To walk into town via the direct route is about 20 mins and if you walk along the sea wall is will take the best part of 40 mins.

Which is still robbery considering the city bus is $2.25/ea way, right outside the cruise terminal, and will take you anywhere in the system such as Butchart Gardens, Oak Bay, Fort Rodd Hill etc etc etc.

Guess they don't have a government subsidy like muncipal transit and need to make a profit.;) The transit fare is only $1.60 if you are a senior. However, with only 4 hours in Victoria I would be loath to try to take transit out to Butchart Gardens.

"Fares are $7.00 USD or CDN for All Day Passes (Round Trip)."

Interesting how it is worded - all day passes - which could lead one to assume that it can be used throughout the day vs round trip - guess it means that there is no time limit on when to use the return portion.

I STAND CORRECTED.

Thanks PD

Cheers

Dennis

I'm also thinking the Fare is just for return. Although the wording is suspect and open to interpretation. Maybe you could use it again to go back and forth more than once ?

CVS is Union owned and big business. Check and see who their first listed partner is on their website. :)

I doubt that "Partners" in this case means ownership but rather who they partner with to provide service.

I did ask the hostess (ticket seller) about acessible buses and it seems they only have one and they use it on the shuttle. So a person in a chair may have to wait a bit and of course such a person can not use them to go out to the Gardens:(. This is something that CVS (sounds like an American drug store chain) will have to addrsess.

I doubt that "Partners" in this case means ownership but rather who they partner with to provide service.

I did ask the hostess (ticket seller) about acessible buses and it seems they only have one and they use it on the shuttle. So a person in a chair may have to wait a bit and of course such a person can not use them to go out to the Gardens:(. This is something that CVS (sounds like an American drug store chain) will have to addrsess.

FYI.. your doubts regarding the first listed partner are incorrect :)

The accessible bus is indeed on the route and is supposed to be available within 20 mins of the "Need" showing up for transportation. So it's just in the loop somewhere.

FYI.. your doubts regarding the first listed partner are incorrect :)

The accessible bus is indeed on the route and is supposed to be available within 20 mins of the "Need" showing up for transportation. So it's just in the loop somewhere.

Out of curiosity I phoned CVS and the gentleman I spoke with told me that the listed partners on the website are not owners but just merely companies they link with to provide service. I then specifically asked about Western Stevedoring's interest in the company and he gave an emphatic "no". Now you may know something more than that....:confused:

As for the acessible bus, his information was different than that gleaned from the hostess, they have several buses and normally have one deployed on the cruise ship shuttle. If a person needs a h/c bus for one of their other tours they only need to contact the CVS a day or two in advance and arrangements will be made to accommodate the request...which is good.

Guess they don't have a government subsidy like muncipal transit and need to make a profit.;) The transit fare is only $1.60 if you are a senior. However, with only 4 hours in Victoria I would be loath to try to take transit out to Butchart Gardens.

The OP just wanted to get to downtown, not to Butchart.

The OP just wanted to get to downtown, not to Butchart.

Hey, you are the one who said that CVS fare was "robbery" at $7 return which equates to $3.50 each way....now with the taxpayers' subsidy on top of the $2.25 fare each way what do you suppose is the real cost and who is getting robbed? Plus with Cruise Victoria there is the convenience factor in not having to wait for a transit bus to come along.

Hey, you are the one who said that CVS fare was "robbery" at $7 return which equates to $3.50 each way....now with the taxpayers' subsidy on top of the $2.25 fare each way what do you suppose is the real cost and who is getting robbed? Plus with Cruise Victoria there is the convenience factor in not having to wait for a transit bus to come along.

Sorry, but it is robbery. It's less than a mile, takes 3-4 minutes, and a taxi for 2 people would be under $10 ea way. $2.25 on the local bus is even expensive for the short distance, but hey at least you get a 90 minute ticket good anywhere in the Victoria bus system.

$7 for a 'shuttle' is merely taking advantage of cruise passengers who don't realize how close to downtown they are.

Scott - since you know a thing or two about the Victoria transit system I am pretty sure that I saw a bus #66 with a sign saying Duncan in the terminal area at least twice last Thursday during my day in Victoria - are they running a service up Island on a regular basis.

Cheers

Dennis

Scott - since you know a thing or two about the Victoria transit system I am pretty sure that I saw a bus #66 with a sign saying Duncan in the terminal area at least twice last Thursday during my day in Victoria - are they running a service up Island on a regular basis.

Cheers

Dennis

Ut, there is a #66 bus that runs to Duncan in peak periods and it is part of the Cowichan Valley Regional System. To confuse things there is also a #66 bus to Sooke which is operated Victoria Regional Transit System...likely a good reason not to have to many wobbly pops after work.;) In any event you may want to check the BC Transit site.

Archived