How can I remedy a problem with late night cabin noise due to remodeling on the Star?

Well, we are back and the noise in 8176 on the Star is TERRIBLE until midnight every night. The first night My wife was less than happy and called the reception desk. They apologized and said they would send someone down to measure the noise.

Next day was the meet and greet. Following the meet and greet I pulled the hotel manager aside and explained and he already knew my cabin number and apologized. He said there were no other cabins available but offered ear plugs. After night 5 we got a call from the reception desk acknowledging a continued issue with noise and we were issued an immediate $400 ship board credit and were told we would receive future considerations. I'm not sure what future considerations are but I plan on writing NCL and thanking them for acknowledging the problem, but letting them know that spending daytime hours while in port and at sea catching up on sleep could have been avoided by not selling us cabin 8176 to begin with.

I'm not sure who to contact and if someone knows someone that acts upon reasonable complaints, please let me know.

Kevin Sheehan is NCL's president - Goggle his name for an email address and/or mailing address.

Good luck - let us know how you make out.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know what happened. We had 8176 booked for our August cruise and after reading some of the reviews here about the noise we were lucky enough to be before final payment, and we were able to move up a deck. I just check on our cruise which is only two months away and three of the four deck eight AE's are still empty.

We just got back from the Eastern Med cruise on the GEM. We were in Penthouse 8130. I knew going into it that it was directly above the bowling alley, and some people on Cruise Critic said you could here some noise from the bowling alley and some said that they couldn't hear anything. We ended up hearing noise, not terribly loud but loud enough to be annoying with our door shut. We complained to reception from the start and let them know that in my opinion noise from a bowling alley in a suite was unacceptable. I actually heard the person ask 'what is the procedure for noise in the rooms above the bowling alleys' so they obviously know this is a problem. They agreed to close the bowling alley below our room at 10pm which was fine as it was a port intensive itinerary and we were generally out of the room well past 10pm. On Day 5 they called and offered us a $400 credit towards our shipboard bill which I thought was fair. Had I paid more for the suite I would have been a little more upset, but considering after our $400 credit onboard, $150 promotional credit, and early booking we only paid $1825 per person for an AE suite I wasn't too upset.

High Yield: Book an AE above the bowling alley, complain, get $400 OBC.

Well, we are back and the noise in 8176 on the Star is TERRIBLE until midnight every night. The first night My wife was less than happy and called the reception desk. They apologized and said they would send someone down to measure the noise.

Next day was the meet and greet. Following the meet and greet I pulled the hotel manager aside and explained and he already knew my cabin number and apologized. He said there were no other cabins available but offered ear plugs. After night 5 we got a call from the reception desk acknowledging a continued issue with noise and we were issued an immediate $400 ship board credit and were told we would receive future considerations. I'm not sure what future considerations are but I plan on writing NCL and thanking them for acknowledging the problem, but letting them know that spending daytime hours while in port and at sea catching up on sleep could have been avoided by not selling us cabin 8176 to begin with.

I'm not sure who to contact and if someone knows someone that acts upon reasonable complaints, please let me know.

I was afraid this would be the case, we booked 8170 before the dry dock/

renovations when deck 7 was still the shops. We had 8672 on an Alaska cruise and loved it. A noisy cabin now would make it seem that much worse I'm afraid compared to what it was before. Lack of sleep on a 13 day cruise would not be good. Last I checked no other AEs were available on our cruise. Maybe something will open up before final is due in November.

We had that same room (8176) last week. I wish I had met you. We booked it 8 months ago. My wife complained the first night, and the desk clerk said she'd see what could be done. The next two afternoons they called to ask if everything was OK, and sent some chocolate strawberries. Then, I sent a note to the hotel director explaining all was well except vibrating floor, especially when Melodious Jones played. Said I knew others had been complaining, but it was too late for me to change rooms. Asked what he would do if my TV or stereo was so loud that the walls were shaking and asked for the same consideration from NCL. Got an offer for different room (didn't want to move) and a $400 onboard credit. Apparently that is the going rate until they get the problem resolved. They said management was well aware of problem, and a copy of my letter would be going to corporate. What's interesting is that you would expect more noise on deck 6 than 8, but we had dinner in Versailles Dining Room, seated directly under lounge and no noise. Apparently somebody made a big error when doing the remodel. Until it's fixed, just keep complaining and take the $400.

Archived