Unsold Cabins, What is the truth.

I see alot of websites offering what they say are the best deals on unsold cabins close to the sailing date. When I check some of the offers I can get the same price direct from the cruise line or my TA. So does the cruise line really offer special pricing to some online agencies or is this just a bunch of marketing BS?

• 3 weeks later...

Not all websites are truly clearance sales, but some of them are. We have quite often booked through our online TA who has a 90 day ticker. Our last two cruises we have saved significantly from the price offered by the cruise line. We have called the cruise lines to see if their prices can match what we were offered, and both times they said no - the online TA price was a sell off and much better than theirs.

Our most recent cruise, for example, was offered by the cruise line at $4400 per person, on sale for $3700. The same day price with our TA was $2150 per person, so basically we cruised for 1/2 price. Plus we booked a guarantee and were upgraded from a partially obstructed G to an unobstructed D category, so further value for our money. To top it all off, our TA also gave us not only the cruise line OBC, but also extras from the TA.

We are careful cruisers when it comes to booking. We understand that not all prices offered by our online TA are better bargains than we can get from the cruise line, and I research the cruise extensively before I book. I will follow the pricing for quite awhile until I see something advertised that I know is a great deal. I then check with all other sites I know of and the cruise line. If it meets my requirements, we then book it. If it is after final payment date then I know that is the price I am paying. I know that if the price falls further after my booking date, I probably won't get credit for the lower price, but that is OK with me. I set the price I'm willing to pay, and then if I'm able to book for that I am happy.

Not all cruises will be offered at a good sell off discount - it all depends on how well it is selling and how close to sailing date. The last cruise was priced pretty much the same by all "vendors" for quite awhile. It was not until just after final payment was due that the price took a sharp dip with our TA and as I was watching for it, I was able to capitalize on it.

There is no blanket "yes or no" answer to your question for all the time. But there definitely are some cruises offered significantly lower than the cruise line price at times by online TA's that can be great bargains. But it is like spinning the wheel. If you decide to wait until the price drops, don't hold your breath. You may be out of luck for your cruise of choice. All cabins may sell out before a price drop is needed and by the time you realize that and phone to book at the cruise line price, they may be sold out or even just the higher priced cabins left!

If you have some flexibility in dates and are able to travel with little lead time, booking this way can be a great money saver. But remember that you will not always find what you are looking for as far as itinerary, when, and at a bargain price.

We have been fortunate and been able to find some awesome deals, but we also have missed out on a few destinations and time frames because we either waited too long or decided we didn't like the going price. Do your homework, decide what you are happy accepting, and if you are persistant, you just might find a dream of an opportunity. Good luck - and Enjoy. :)

Archived