Caribbean Currency to carry

smoosh28

I have tried to search the boards for this question, but can't really find the answer.

We are going on our first cruise on the Legend in November. We do plan to go into Cozumel, Belize and Roatan. What currency should we have with us?

We do know that we will have to have some US currency for our time in Tampa and with the strong Canadian dollar right now, we are wanting to do our exchange sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this

Hi Smoosh! Greetings from PEI.

I'd agree with the others to just take US dollars. It is also a good idea to get some money converted earlier as you intend rather than wait 'til the last minute. Last year when going South for a vacation I made the rounds of our local banks trying to get some US cash to take. Problem was that none had any small bills. Actually the Scotiabank had some but told me I couldn't have any because I wasn't an account holder! (They wanted to save them for their regular customers). I looked at the teller with a look of disbelief and then advised it was precisely because of such bad service that I am not a Scotiabank account holder.

Anyways -- do get a big stack of small bills to use for tips. You can always bring home what you don't use.

Regards, Ross

Remember to bring small bills. I've had instances where the shopkeeper wanted to give me change in their local currency. I had no idea how much their dollars were "really" worth. Needless to say, I have a couple of pesos, Cayman and Honduran dollars as souvenirs!

I made the rounds of our local banks trying to get some US cash to take. Problem was that none had any small bills. Actually the Scotiabank had some but told me I couldn't have any because I wasn't an account holder! (They wanted to save them for their regular customers). I looked at the teller with a look of disbelief and then advised it was precisely because of such bad service that I am not a Scotiabank account holder.

Bad service? Maybe if the bank you do hold accounts with had the same policy they would have had small bills in stock.

Greetings fellow "blue noser". The last time we were in the Caribbeen the US greenback was accepted everywhere. We are cruising again in September and are watching the currency exchange rates every day to try to decide when to buy US $

Archived