Visa upon arrival in Valparaiso, Chile?

ALadyNCal

Somewhere I have read that you need a visa for Chile and that they will provide (ie. sell) you one upon arrival. As our 'arrival' is at the cruise pier, do they sell them there? On board? How is that handled? Or am I mistaken and we don't need one? Thanks :)

ALadyNcal,

I have been to Chile 3 times and have never had a visa. Unless you are going to be there a long time I am not aware that you will need a visa. You will have to pay $100 PP when you arrive by plane. The last time we landed they required cash only. Hope that this helps.

Don

We just returned from our South American Cruise today - no Visa is required for Chile - if you arrived by Cruise Ship and fly out of Santiago to return home - there is an exit/departure fee for Americans to pay at the Airport - I believe the fee is approx $35.00 per person.

We just returned from our South American Cruise today - no Visa is required for Chile - if you arrived by Cruise Ship and fly out of Santiago to return home - there is an exit/departure fee for Americans to pay at the Airport - I believe the fee is approx $35.00 per person.

How was the weather for you? How would you describe the mix of passengers? Thanks :)

You will have to pay $100 PP when you arrive by plane. The last time we landed they required cash only.

We landed at the Santiago airport (on a flight from Lima, Peru) three weeks ago, on January 10. US citizens were charged $100, Canadians $55, Australians $30, and Mexicans $15. Although we had been warned that only cash would be accepted, it turns out that they now accept major credit cards as well. There is a sign posted that says torn or dirty bills will not be accepted.

--Jim--

The exit fee may de paid in clean, fresh US Dollars, Visa, or Master Card. I would plan to pay in cash with US Dollars - the acceptance of credit cards in very recent and they may easily change their minds about this - I will be posting a comprehensive review of our voyage in a few days - as soon as I get a bit rested and caught up on other important matters.

When you arrive at the SCL airport, you are charged a one time "visa" fee for the lifetime of your passport. The fee is the same as the USA charges Chile visitors. I got mine a number of years ago for $20 and have used it a number of times. They stapled a small visa slip in the passport, which I remove and put back in before I go to Chile. I have more than a year left on my passport.

Bob

Thank you. I knew there was a fee for passengers arrive at the airport.

I had been curious because we disembark in Valparaiso, Chile, not fly into Santiago.

So I guess at some point we get to pay $35 for the privilege of having arrived in Chile ;)

Archived