Anyone know why the Elation is in Tampa this morning?

Kissyfur19

I suspect that it relates to the fact that the Fantasy has had all of the EOF upgrades completed, while the Elation still lacks most of those upgrades. The shipyard where Fantasy's upgrades were performed is only yards away from the Alabama Cruise Terminal. That is just my guess.

I don't think they will be sending another ship to have a drydock done at the Mobile drydock for a while. I heard they messed up pretty bad with the Fantasy.

The Ecstasy went to Freeport to have her EOF, instead of Mobile.

My mom called me this on our way to work at O dark 30 to inform me that she saw the cruise ship as well!!! My son loves to see the cruise ships driving over the Causeway through Tampa!!!!!!!!!

Every time I pass by Ybor and see one of the ships, I holler in the car, "Curse you, Carnival!":p

My car has a mind of its own. If it "sees" that a Carnival ship is in port, it will somehow drive me towards it. Or maybe it's me wishing I could stow away on either Legend or Inspiration...

Wondering how the port is going to look once RCL, Celebrity, and NCL start sailing out of Tampa! :D:eek::p

I don't think they will be sending another ship to have a drydock done at the Mobile drydock for a while. I heard they messed up pretty bad with the Fantasy.

That means nothing. It depends on space availability, and of course, the successful bidder. Elation, Ecstasy and Sensation all came to Mobile after Katrina, while Holiday which was ported in Mobile at the time, went to Freeport.

Didn't seem to make much sense, but that's the way they do it. Fantasy had a laundry list of logistical problems and probably an unrealistic timeline and it sailed after dry dock with a lot of stuff unfinished, but, it is not uncommon for work to continue for the first couple of sailings after a dry dock. What I heard around here is that Carnival brought in a large crew of their own who were promptly deported because they didn't have proper documentation and that is part of what precipitated the delays and unfinished work. Mostly the shipyards provide the dry dock and do the exterior hull and interior mechanical work, while the cruise lines provide the staff that handles refurbishment and installation of new equipment.

Your recollection of events may be different from mine; but, as I recall, the problem was associated with the fact that Carnival brought in a number of foreign nationals to perform much of the work. When Homeland Security determined that these individuals were not properly documented, they had to leave the country. Atlantic Marine then had to scramble to try and meet the upgrade schedule. My understanding is that the work was not completed until the ship was into her second or third sailing after dry dock. I cannot see how one could fault the shipyard for this. Now the irony here is that if the foreign nationals had been Latino instead of European, their "papers" would have never been checked, lol.

That means nothing. It depends on space availability, and of course, the successful bidder. Elation, Ecstasy and Sensation all came to Mobile after Katrina, while Holiday which was ported in Mobile at the time, went to Freeport.

Didn't seem to make much sense, but that's the way they do it. Fantasy had a laundry list of logistical problems and probably an unrealistic timeline and it sailed after dry dock with a lot of stuff unfinished, but, it is not uncommon for work to continue for the first couple of sailings after a dry dock. What I heard around here is that Carnival brought in a large crew of their own who were promptly deported because they didn't have proper documentation and that is part of what precipitated the delays and unfinished work. Mostly the shipyards provide the dry dock and do the exterior hull and interior mechanical work, while the cruise lines provide the staff that handles refurbishment and installation of new equipment.

Your recollection of events may be different from mine; but, as I recall, the problem was associated with the fact that Carnival brought in a number of foreign nationals to perform much of the work. When Homeland Security determined that these individuals were not properly documented, they had to leave the country. Atlantic Marine then had to scramble to try and meet the upgrade schedule. My understanding is that the work was not completed until the ship was into her second or third sailing after dry dock. I cannot see how one could fault the shipyard for this. Now the irony here is that if the foreign nationals had been Latino instead of European, their "papers" would have never been checked, lol.

Thank You for the info. I forgot that Carnival messed up when they brought more crew on.

Archived