Tell me what I should do . . .

MrsPete

We're undecided about our Grand Cayman day. The idea of riding the catamaran boat (not with the ship's excursion, but a private operator) out to the stingray sandbar is enticing, but I'm not sure we want to get into the water and actually swim with them. Would it be weird to just do the boat ride and watch the other people swim with the critters?

On each trip I have been on to Stingray Sandbar, there has been usually a couple of people who don't get in to the water. The water is so clear that you still can see the critters. In addition, the guide will pick them up out of the water so you'll be able to see them. You should really try to get into the water with them. It is a unique experience. You will not believe the feel of them. They are completely docile. They won't bite (they only have 3 teeth)! And no, you won't get "stung".

hello,

i am still on a cruise, and just did the stingray sandbar today. i had no intentions of touching one, let alone holding one, but after watching people, i wanted to pet one. it was so soft. very docile. then they talked me into holding one. very different, but nice. then i held another one. the next opportunity, i will do it again. i was surprised that i liked it. kim

I agree with the other posters. The water's only about 3 feet deep, so you basically just shuffle around on the sandy bottom, not really swim.

Also I can highly recommend Nativeway Watersports (http://www.nativewaywatersports.com) . My daughter (14) was absolutley frreaking out about the idea of actually being in the water with them. I told this to the Nativeway crew on our way out there and they said "don't worry, by the time the day is over she'll be wearing one like a hat!" Needless to say, the crew was absolutely fantastic with my daughter. They were very patient, and even brought over little baby rays to get her used to them. By the end of the day, sure enough, she was doing everything with them. She ended up saying that day was the highlight of the entire cruise.

Don't worry, you'll love it!

Archived