Digital Camera Question....

cmwlv

I have a digital camera with a 16mb internal memory and a 64mb memory chip, do you think this is enough memory? I really don't want to buy another memory chip because I won't use it after my cruise... we are taking our camcorder as well

what do you think?

It really depends on what settings you use on your camera and how many pictures you can get on a memory card. Last year when we cruised, I had a 256 MB card and used almost all of it. I have my camera set for fine pictures and took home almost 400 pictures. I will take even more memory on our next cruise because I love taking pictures and I know I will end up with a lot fewer "keepers" than I actually take.

De:)

If you won't be taking many digital photos after your cruise then simply take regular photos with a 35 mm camera, or purchase some disposable cameras and have them put onto a cd when you develope them. Don't forget a couple of water tight disposables for use on or near the water.

64 mb is not alot of storage space.

Bill

I may be new to cruising, but I am an old pro with digital photos on vacation. We took hundreds of pictures when in Europe and since I brought my laptop (yes, I am a nerd), downloading every night worked fine. But I did see an article in a magazine that may help

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6501_7-5145238.html

I would also suggest buying NiMH rechargable batteries and the minicharger. Much cheaper than new batteries and takes up less space.

I have a digital camera with a 16mb internal memory and a 64mb memory chip, do you think this is enough memory? I really don't want to buy another memory chip because I won't use it after my cruise... we are taking our camcorder as well

what do you think?

Let me tell you my experience and you can decide what you want to do. I bought my first digital camera in December, prior to our cruise in January. On previous trips, I might have taken 2 36-exposure 35mm films. I have a 256mb card for my 4mp digital camera. Since I decided to take most of my shots at 3mp (fine setting), I could get about 160 pictures on it. I used them all!:eek: (In addition, we went through 2 27-shot underwater disposable 35mm cameras).

I think what happens with a digital camera is that you tend to take more pictures because you know that you aren't committing them to be printed. Then, you hate to delete many of them, other than those that are really lousy, or those you know you are only taking as a test. To make matters worse (since this was our first outing with a digital), we ended up getting about 100 of them printed -- half again as many as I would likely have taken with my 35mm. BTW, I hardly used my camcorder this time out.

So, in answer to your question about the 64mb card, I'd say get more! They're pretty inexpensive unless you, like me, have a Sony that requires Memory Sticks. An alternative (assuming you're not taking a laptop with you) is to have your pictures dumped onto a CD aboard the ship then reuse the card. Most ships have that service in the photo centre.

Best of Luck,

Gil

I agree, that is really not a lot of storage. If you don't want to buy another memory card, you can always have your memory stored on disc in the camera department on the ship and then delete and start over. After you do this a couple of times you could have bought a new card. Check the internet for prices. Also, if you bring a laptop you can download your photos and start over.

I probably take more pictures than most people and I also take a few movies on my camera...I usually fill up two 512 MG cards on a 7 day cruise.

Your best bet is to check the information that came with your own camera. I know that for ours, we've also invested in the 256 mb memory card so that we've got plenty of space....but with an 11-day cruise coming up, we're thinking about getting even more memory to cover all the pictures we like to take. Like the previous poster, we generally use the best quality--which eats memory faster than others--but which also give us better prints.

The info included with your camera (if it's anythign like ours) probably gives a pretty good estimate of how many pictures can be taken with different qualities/levels of memory cards, etc.

I just got back from the Rhapsody of the seas......I took a lot of pictures.

I bought two 512mg SD cards for my camera at buy.com for only $25.00 each......a great price. I saw today that they were selling a 1 GIG compact flash card for $59...........memory is now cheap......go big and don't even worry........with a lot of memory you can try different modes, etc, which really enhance the quality of your pictures, and gets you to be a better photographer with your camera......that's why they have all those different modes....they are great.

On the ship I was just on, they would transfer your full memory card on a CD, so you could free up your card if needed, or they also sold cards in their photo shop...but buying online before you go is better.....

My advice, get a big card, they are cheap now.......

Frank D.

i too agree that 64mb isn't enough!

i bought my first digital camera last year before my cruise in july to the caribbean. i had a 16mb xD picture card that came with the camera. then i purchased an additional 64mb xD picture card and right before i left for the trip, i decided that would be enough either so i purchased a 128mb xD picture card. boy was i glad i purchased that extra card as i ended up taking more than 300 pictures.

for my cruise in september to canada/new england, i learned from my first experience what kinds of pictures i wanted more of and what i wanted less of. i too felt that since i could take pictures and not commit to having to pay for printing them, i tended to take more pictures than i would with a 35 mm camera. in september i ended up taking close to 500 pictures!

so this year, now that i've booked a land vacation to china and a cruise to alaska, and i know that i'll want to take TONS of pictures for both trips, i ended up buying a 256mb xD picture card for only $40! now i've got enough memory between all my cards, for approx 1000 pictures! i sure hope thats enough!

if you do choose to only use the memory you have, i liked the idea of the other poster who said to buy some disposable cameras along the way and waterproof cameras for any snorkeling or swimming excursions you may take. you'd be surprised to find that you actually take many more pictures than you originally intended to take. and of course you don't want to run out of memory when you need it most for that one perfect memory....

Archived