Ship time

Dili33

actually your cell phone can switch to the local time where you are, most of the newer ones do it, not even sure if you can turn it off.

but, when cruising the Mexican Riviera, for instance, the ship always stays on Pacific Time ("Ships Time"), whereas the actual time in Cabo, and Mazatlan are 1 hour ahead; Puerto Vallarta is 2 hours ahead; so if you rely on your cell phone for the time, you may end up heading back to the ship too soon, or arranging independent tours too early for you to actually make.

I've read that if you use your cell phone it will switch to "ship time". I'm not sure what that means. How is that differerent from shore or other time?

Twice a year without fail I can never remember if my cell phone allows for our 1 hour switch to/from British Summer Time, so can't rely on it for an alarm call.:confused:

Ditto my VCR, :confused: car radio, :confused: DVD player, :confused: etc.

If you're as dumb as me, I suggest you use the ship's (free) telephone for an alarm call, & your watch for ashore.:)

JB

Thanks....we will be in Alaska. Will it be a factor there?

Your phone will not switch to ship's time, but to the time zone you're in, if it's a newer phone. Older phones will not automatically switch times when you enter a new time zone and you'll have to do it manually. I don't know if they use the universal atomic clock or some satellite, but the new phones tend to change automatically.

If you're asking if the ship will change their on board clocks, that's something that can't be answered. It's entirely up to the ship's captain if they change on board clocks to reflect the change in time zones.

As we are leaving the ship at our ports-of-call we always ask the staff what time we have to be back by. Then we ask them what time they have and we adjusts our wrist watches accordingly just to make sure we have the same time they have.

Archived