Beverage package behavior

warmwinds

We just got off the Solstice, and i think ours was one of the last sailings to offer the individual packages (beer, frozen, liquor, etc.) I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of young people on the ship, couples, groups, families with younger people etc., and I didn't observe any drink till you drop behavior.

My husband had the beer package and what I can tell you is that the staff (the majority, not all) seemed to have a very specific, negative reaction to it. In 11 cruises, this is the worst bar service we have ever received! I don't know if perhaps they are compensated differently on the beverage package? Or maybe it it was coincidence?? who knows.. we still had a great cruise!

I've read that on a couple of threads now. I guess since the tip is included, the more drinks you order the more it gets diluted...they will get the same, pre-determined included tip whether they serve 2 drinks or 20. Understandable that they aren't crazy about it. Maybe if people realized this and tipped a buck or two in cash for each drink things would be different.

I kind of equate it to getting served free drinks when you gamble in Las Vegas...yes, the drinks are free, but you still tip.

Agreed... you make a good point. And I certainly can respect the mindset. We tipped the people who took care of us, and the ones who couldn't be bothered with us, well we just sort of noted who they were and tried to go to the "friendly" bars. You can definitely work around the crabs!

Archived