Beaches in Nassau or Freeport

cruisinmommyTX

Hi, we're traveling with 4 adults and 5 children (ages 2, 4, 5, 8 and 11) on the Carnival Fascination in August. We only have two days in port, Nassau and Freeport, and would like to spend at least one of those hanging out on a beach. As I recall, neither of these have good beaches within walking distance, so I'm looking for suggestions. I am not opposed to getting a cab, but what do we do about carseats? The bigger kids are fine, but I have no intention of hauling around a carseat for my 2yo, particular when we are heading to the beach! Do they expect carseats? Even so, would 9 of us fit in even two cabs? And where should we go? I don't mind paying, but $100+pp for Atlantis and $50+pp for Blue Lagoon = $500-$1000:eek: just to spend a few hours in the sand! We'll pay it if we have to, but hopefully you have some better options!

So, any other recommendations? Are there any good family friendly beaches (a toilet nearby might be too much to hope for, but the ability to buy an extra bottle of water would be nice) :D How do you get there--boat, cab, tour, walk? Cost?

Also, has anyone tried any of the dolphin encounters, (I am thinking of the "hugging and petting" not necessarily the 'swimming with the dolphins') for the older kids. Some of these include spending the rest of the day on the beach for free, but I don't know how you get the rest of the family there, if only a few are doing the dolphin experience.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

In Nassau, within walking distance, is the British Colonial Hilton. It's a resort, but the offer day passes. There's a beach and pool you all could use. It might be an idea to bypass the car seat issue. The link is below. I haven't been, but am considering it myself. Others will chime in with some good ideas too. :)

http://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauHiltonResortPass.htm

Also, has anyone tried any of the dolphin encounters, (I am thinking of the "hugging and petting" not necessarily the 'swimming with the dolphins') for the older kids. Some of these include spending the rest of the day on the beach for free, but I don't know how you get the rest of the family there, if only a few are doing the dolphin experience.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

We did Blue Lagoon last year. My husband and I did the dolphin encounter, and it was a great experience. Once in a lifetime! My mother-in-law purchased the observer package so she could go along with us. The encounter and observer packages do include enjoying the beach with the ticket costs. I think it was $98 pp for the encounter and $25 pp for the observer. Lunch can be purchased on the island - burgers, chicken sandwich, and hot dogs are the choices, but I can't remember the cost.

The all inclusive beach day is $45 for adults and $35 for kids and includes your lunch. The beach was lovely. Less than 20 people there all day, so it was very peaceful. The water was clear and beautiful, and you could almost walk across from one side to the other.

I think the taxi/van ride was $15 for 3 of us each way.

Freeport seems to be a difficult place to find something quality to do. When we were there last June, we purchased the Dolphin excursion from Carnival and had a great time. We did the one where you get a van ride, a boat road and then sit around the edge and watch the dolphins do some tricks. Then one by one you can go in, touch, hug, pet and take a picture with. It was great. There were other groups that did the swim where they actually got all the way in the water with them (we were about waist deep) and they seemed to have a great time too. I recommend either!

Personally, I wouldn't pay in the hundred dollar range (per person) to go to a beach at a hotel....

There are some public beaches that will only cost a cab ride...and don't forget about the ship's pool...it will be virtually empty on port days, and you've already PAID for it!

I would take a poke at the bahamas port of call board for recommendations. There is a free public beach near the port within waking distance. I've heard it referred to as Junkanoo beach as well as lighthouse beach. It's next to the british colonial hilton. How well maintained it will be depends on the time of year apparently. In high season, the government cleans it up, in the off season, it gets kinda run down. Other options often mentioned:

British colonial hilton - day pass is $50, includes $30 voucher for food/drink

Wyndham at cable beach - day pass is $40, includes buffet lunch

Sheraton at Cable beach - day pass is $25

• 3 weeks later...
We took a taxi (van with lots of people!) over to Paradise Island. They have a beautiful beach (used to be called Cabbage beach) where we spent the day. We did walk all over Atlantis and checked out the facilities where we could go w/o id bands. :)

What is Cabbage beach called now?

I was in Nassau a few years ago, so i'm not sure if this is still the case..

Right behing the Straw Market (i believe this is where the cruise ships dock), there are water taxi's that would take you to Paradise Island for $4USD (I assume this price would be the same for kids). Once on PI, you can walk to Cabbage beach (Atlantis is on this beach) for free.

Or, if there are that many people a regular taxi might be cheaper.

If you go to Atlantis, you can pay for a day pass to use the waterpark, but don't pay just to use the beach.

I've never been on a cruise, so I may not be the best person to ask.. but I walked all around Nassau and PI, and when I see the price people pay for "excursions" to the beach it makes me cringe.

Right behing the Straw Market (i believe this is where the cruise ships dock), there are water taxi's that would take you to Paradise Island for $4USD (I assume this price would be the same for kids). Once on PI, you can walk to Cabbage beach (Atlantis is on this beach) for free.

This is exactly what we did with our 9 month & 2 year old. We did not take any carseats, just umbrella strollers which the taxi driver assisted us in loading. We just held the kids on our laps. Saw several other families doing this. We had a great taxi driver that didn't do anything crazy. Cabbage Beach had beautiful white sand and clear blue water. Would do it again in a hearbeat.

Archived