Help me pick an excursion for Cozumel, PLEASE!

cruznkate

I will be sailing on the Carnival Triumph to Progresso and Cozumel with my DH, 3 DS (ages 10, 8, and 6), and another couple with their two kids (ages 6 and 4) and we are having a little trouble picking our excursion for Cozumel. Originally, we thought we'd do the Playa Mia Beach Break Deluxe so the kids could have a day at the beach but recently someone recommended the Deluxe Sail, Snorkel, and Beach Party excursion. The hang-up we are having is that the excursion says only kids 8 and older could do the snorkeling part. They could still sail and play on the beach but couldn't snorkel. Has anyone ever done this excursion with younger kids? I'd like to know if it's a long time snorkeling and if you think there will be other kids not snorkeling who are just there to enjoy the sailing and beach party, or is that a waste of our money. Opinions, please! Thanks!

Stay away from Playa Mia, not worth the money. Its not the best beach at Cozumel.

The 3 top beaches that the parents here at the Family Board like --

Nachi Cocom, Passion Island and Paradise Beach

So go to the Port of Call board and look for the reviews about those beaches and how to get there. They are the most reviewed and talked about beaches.

Nachi and Passion are kept limited -- so they are cut off when they reach certain capacities -- nice, never over crowded.

Nachi requires a reservation in advance.

Passion may be out for you if Carnival isn't offering the Catamaran (like Royal Caribbean and Celebrity does) since you have a 6 year old. Carnival gets to the island by a high speed Twister boat which has a minimum age. The other cruise lines offer the catamaran with the Twister.

Paradise Beach is a taxi cab ride away from the port. Check the reviews for the prices.

The Sail, Snorkel and Beach Break offered through Carnival is on a Catamaran and does go to the beach so I assume that would be Passion Beach. So, Cruisinmama, you suggest that one even not everyone in our party would be able to do the snorkeling part?

Nachi Cocum and Pasion Island are both great choices. I think at least some of the kids are too young to take them on the Twister that goes to Pasion Island through Carnival so you'd have to do it on your own which might be a pain. I'm not a huge fan of Paradise Beach, but if it's your first time to Cozumel it would be nice. Nachi is awesome, but there is a little drop off from the beach to the water so kids do need to be carefully watched, especially if they are not good swimmers. Nachi does have a boat that takes you out snorkeling. That might be a good option if the adults want to take turns snorkeling and watching the kids on the beach.

If you are set on the Sail, Snorkel and Beach Break, one of the adults could stay on the boat with the little ones. When we did this excursion, the snorkel stop was not on the beach. If they are good swimmers, the 8 & 10 year old could go, but it wouldn't be my first choice for most of your group. Plus, it's only 3.5 hours, so it's totally different than going to the beach for the day. I think that the beach time on that excursion was about 45 minutes. It would not have been fun for me with my 3 year old. Taking him to the beach was much more enjoyable.

Also look at Chankanaab (easy to do on your own) and Ixcaret (great, but a long bus ride). Both of those places would be great for everyone. Chakanaab has a very nice kids area (lagoon) and plenty of other activiites (dolphins, snorkeling, massage). Ixcaret has the river float and a ton of other activities for a price.

It depends on your priorities, but with your group, I would choose Nachi or Chankanaab.

Been to Paradise Beach recently, 04/15/2010). It's $12 for a wristband to use the water toys. They are like giant fun jumps in the water. I noted the ages of your children and those with you. If they are not good swimmers and/or scared of deep water, it may not be the best beach. The toys are in water from about 6 feet to about 15 feet. They do offer life jackets with the wrist band, along with kayacs (sp?), lounge floaties, and snorkle equipment. I have heard it is not a great place to snorkle. Here is a link to the 3rd page of my review, post 54, that shows the toys available with the wrist band. Please note, the parasailing is extra. And also advise my DD, (age 8), has no fear.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1188880&page=3

Nachi is great, from what I have heard, would love to go, but DD loves PB. Another area to consider is Mr. Sanchos. Nice beach, has an All Inclusive like Nachi, plus some extras, for a cost, like horse back riding.

the Cab ride was $13 for the 3 of us. In September of 2009, it was $35 for 9 of us to paradise beach

We are going to do Nachi Cocom next month with our niece and nephew. It looks like a fabulous place, and the reviews are great. They also have snorkeling excursions that you can take once you get there, or so I've read.

We have been to Paradise Beach and Nachi Cocum (just a few weeks ago). Both are great but "different." We had a blast at Paradise Beach but is does become crowded and noisy. Nachi Cocum was very mellow and relaxed. My dh and I loved it! The kids had fun too (ages3, 5, and 10 years old). My dh and I are returning to Nachi in January (cruise w/out kids). In August we will be trying the Dolphin swim at Chackiaub (sp??) on our own. My dd really has wanted to do the dolphin swim so we finally said yes. Feel free to ask any questions about Nachi or Paradise Beach.

:)

We've did Paradise beach last year and Chankanaab park a couple of years ago.

Paradise beach was great, but if your kids are the best swimmers, you have to keep an eye on them. Family of four to the beach with some lite snacks and taxis back and forth ran about $100. Nice day

Chankanaab had a very shallow lagoon which was perfect for little ones, that was right about the time of Katrina, so it may be different now.

Our next visit will be Mister Panchos or Nachi Cocum.

We were in Cozumel in Feb, but it was way too cool for the beach. About 60 degrees and windy.

All these places have websites with coupons:)

Archived