Halifax and Saint John - handicapped pier questions

My mother cannot walk long distances, but does not use a wheel chair, and we are trying to figure out how long a walk it is in both Halifax and Saint John, from the gangway off the pier - some in the Carribean have been a long walk, but often have some kind of transportation like golf carts.

Also, does anyone have suggestions as to how to see either of these places with limited walking mobility?

My mother cannot walk long distances, but does not use a wheel chair, and we are trying to figure out how long a walk it is in both Halifax and Saint John, from the gangway off the pier - some in the Carribean have been a long walk, but often have some kind of transportation like golf carts.

Also, does anyone have suggestions as to how to see either of these places with limited walking mobility?

Saint John: Upon exiting the ship, passengers walk along a 295' long elevated pedway to the terminal. There is an elevator to take you to street level. Wheelchairs will be available should one be required.

Saint John: Upon exiting the ship, passengers walk along a 295' long elevated pedway to the terminal. There is an elevator to take you to street level. Wheelchairs will be available should one be required.

Thanks. I think I saw somewhere in one of your other posts that you recommended a bus tour that was like $18 for a couple of hours. You picked it up in a market like 1000' from the pier? Am I right?

Do you think that this would be good for her? The other option I was considering was the big pink bus but it looks like you can only book that through the cruiseline.

I tired to google the transit authority, but it seemed like the tours didn't start until 6/21 and we will be there 6/16. Thanks for all your help.

I also have trouble walking long distances, and the gangways tended to be very long - so long that I was miserable after walking them. Some were accordian shaped, and some stretches climbed while other stretches fell. You would literally walk up a steep hill on one stretch then down a steep hill on the next, then up, then down.... If I'm remembering correctly, St. John wasn't too bad, because the elevator made it a relatively gentle slope. 295' is almost a football field. I think Halifax was long. I may be getting my ports mixed up, because they tended to run together after so many ordeals of getting off at ports.

Thanks. I think I saw somewhere in one of your other posts that you recommended a bus tour that was like $18 for a couple of hours. You picked it up in a market like 1000' from the pier? Am I right?

Do you think that this would be good for her? The other option I was considering was the big pink bus but it looks like you can only book that through the cruiseline.

I tired to google the transit authority, but it seemed like the tours didn't start until 6/21 and we will be there 6/16. Thanks for all your help.

The transit bus tour does leave approx. 1000' from terminal - the bus they use for the tour has 3 steps up into it. It's unfortunate is starts a few days later. Perhaps an alternative is to use a rickshaw for a wonderful tour of the historical area, including stops at must see places like the city market. For more info, you could email them at info@saintjohnrickshaw.com

They will be available outside the terminal.

The Pink Bus will be a hop on hop off at the different sites - you just wait for the next one to go to the next site. (A portion of your fare goes towards cancer research) . They are old London double decker buses so their will be steps to climb.

The transit bus tour does leave approx. 1000' from terminal - the bus they use for the tour has 3 steps up into it. It's unfortunate is starts a few days later. Perhaps an alternative is to use a rickshaw for a wonderful tour of the historical area, including stops at must see places like the city market. For more info, you could email them at info@saintjohnrickshaw.com

They will be available outside the terminal.

The Pink Bus will be a hop on hop off at the different sites - you just wait for the next one to go to the next site. (A portion of your fare goes towards cancer research) . They are old London double decker buses so their will be steps to climb.

Acey -

Thanks. Do you know if there is a way to book the pink bus other than through the cruise line? So if she wanted to chose depending on what the weather was like? I really like the idea of the rickshaw...

Acey -

Thanks. Do you know if there is a way to book the pink bus other than through the cruise line? So if she wanted to chose depending on what the weather was like? I really like the idea of the rickshaw...

I don't know the answer for sure - you can call Ambassatours (tour operator) at 1-800-565-7173

My understanding is they have 3 routes and open to public - but they can tell you for sure.

While I don't have mobility issues I know what you are talking about with Caribbean ports. Saint John in comparison is less walking. You do have to get off the ship on a zig zag gangway and then outside the gated area, but it is not like the long endless piers that stretch out from the ships elsewhere. Saint John would be nice in your situation as it is not as congested and hectic an area and there are lots of local greeters who can direct you exactly to where you are going.

Halifax the ships usually exit you right into this massive shopping terminal area where you would need to maneuver your way out of, but again not a long endless cement road like exit from the ship to land.

One side note that really was a pet peeve of ours was the behavior of some people who consider themselves disabled on this itinerary. We were waiting in a rather long line to get back on the ship in one of our ports (sorry can't remember which now) and we were standing behind two 40 year old women and there fairly frail looking mother. They were on either side of her helping her walk. While we waited we watched several scooter folks zip on by and enter ahead of everyone, including all the other older folks STANDING in line to reboard. Now if your younger and need a scooter due to weight issues, do you really need to proceed to the front of the line? At least the scooter folks were sitting -why the added rush? If I were you and encountered a line, I would ask if she could proceed ahead.

Sorry for the rant................

Have you thought about renting a scooter for her to use? It certainly makes life easier both on and off the ship for those with problems walking distances. When we have done that, they deliver the scooter right to the stateroom. In Halifax we have "walked" the piers / shopping area and have taken the ship excursion to Peggy's Cove twice--they were able to put the scooter under the bus for this. As I remember, it was quite a long walk to the busses. In Saint John's the horse drawn trolleys were not far from the ship--and we were able to park the scooter inside the tent at the port. Taxi tours are good for folks with mobility problems, too.

Have you thought about renting a scooter for her to use? It certainly makes life easier both on and off the ship for those with problems walking distances. When we have done that, they deliver the scooter right to the stateroom. In Halifax we have "walked" the piers / shopping area and have taken the ship excursion to Peggy's Cove twice--they were able to put the scooter under the bus for this. As I remember, it was quite a long walk to the busses. In Saint John's the horse drawn trolleys were not far from the ship--and we were able to park the scooter inside the tent at the port. Taxi tours are good for folks with mobility problems, too.

In Saint John there is now a tour offered that is handi- accessible. The tour bus has a lift for wheelchairs. Here is the Info:

The Accessible Handi-Bus (with motorized lift) can accommodate up to 700 pounds (combined weight includes wheelchair), 32" wide, 72" tall and 60" long. The vehicle can accommodate 2 wheelchair-bound passengers, and up to 10 persons with regular or limited mobility. Additional collapsible wheelchairs/walkers can be folded and stored.This tour can not be pre-reserved. Please inquire with the Tour Office once onboard. Please let the Shore Excursion Manager know if you are an able-bodied passenger,have a collapsible wheelchair, or are wheelchair bound so we can prepare for your needs. As this tour only accommodates 2 non-collapsible wheelchairs, it is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Participants must be able to negotiate 2 steps up into the transportation.

Archived