Walkie Talkies?

There is way too much metal and too many decks. The only way they worked was when we were on the same deck. Now we didn't have th super powered top dollars units. After day one we just put them in the suitcase.

There is way too much metal and too many decks. The only way they worked was when we were on the same deck. Now we didn't have th super powered top dollars units. After day one we just put them in the suitcase.

I had a feeling that this was the case, thanks??? Bummer...

Long ago we found they DO work but range is very limited due to the noted metal. You'll also find in port they can be useful but again US frequency are illegal or lets say reserved frequency in foreign countries.

I used to think how can I trust my kids and keep in contact, but after multiple cruises and other vacations where I lost them on the mountain have come to not worry so much as the ship really is really pretty safe when children have good judgement and its not so big one can't usually find others in their party.

Cellphones don't work so well at sea unless you are happy with the charges versus a walkie talkie which would be free so to speak after the purchase price. Only you can decide if its a value proposition versus a cellphone.

Also this is about a big a hot button as is jeans okay in the main dining room :D Seem people very touchy and find the loud talking and noise from these versus, phones, or overhappy cruisers to be more an issue.

Good luck!

Will these work in lieu of those expensive phones?

We have used them in the past. Now we have Nextel phones, and the direct talk mode works just as well. It comes in handy when I just can't find him.

how were you able to get your Nextals to work? As soon as we leave port no matter what port-- i lose service.

You go into your menu and select Direct Talk.. It will go into walkie talkie mode only. It will not be cellular any longer until you change it back when we get back into port. You can also change the frequency settings.

You go into your menu and select Direct Talk.. It will go into walkie talkie mode only. It will not be cellular any longer until you change it back when we get back into port. You can also change the frequency settings.

Thank you for this information. I will try it out.

Archived