Well Kept Secrete about Tips

ilm28411

Ploys? Gotta tell you, there's not allot of plotting and scheming in that business. Pretty straight forward. But then again, this was a nice resort on the ocean, and rich people tip well. Just watch out for the Europeans!

Here we go with the "Europeans" again. What is it with people that they can't help but be offensive to the nearly 400 million people who live on the European continent? They are people, same as we are. They enjoy cruising, the same as we do. All "Europeans," as with "Americans," are not just one sort. They are unique individuals, just as I sense that you are.

Please, be kind, and understand when your words might offend.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Their customs and traditions may differ from yours or mine, but that doesn't make them wrong or bad. The same as you and I.

Here we go with the "Europeans" again. What is it with people that they can't help but be offensive to the nearly 400 million people who live on the European continent? They are people, same as we are. They enjoy cruising, the same as we do. All "Europeans," as with "Americans," are not just one sort. They are unique individuals, just as I sense that you are.

Please, be kind, and understand when your words might offend.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Their customs and traditions may differ from yours or mine, but that doesn't make them wrong or bad. The same as you and I.

Perhaps you misundertood my post. I like europe and europeans just fine, I enjoy traveling there and have european friends. But europeans do not tip well, generally. My post was mearing saying that if you are a waiter who lives off of tips, you would try to avoid too many tables with europeans. It does not make them bad people, it's just part of their culture that the tip amount is generally less. This is not a slander, just a fact. Ask anyone who has waited tables.

Just watch out for the Europeans!

Can you explain what you mean here??? I hate to agree with Bobbyleduck :p on any given day but I find this a bit small minded....I am hoping I am just misunderstanding your post.

Can you explain what you mean here??? I hate to agree with Bobbyleduck :p on any given day but I find this a bit small minded....I am hoping I am just misunderstanding your post.

The reason that American server types don't like Europeans is that in Europe the tip is built into the price and Europeans are not just used to not tipping, but are used to leaving the odd coins from a check. That makes it even worse in the eyes of an American server.

I think the Tip should be between the Tipper and the Tippee. The provider of service doesn't run around bragging about the amount they recieved, which was previously mentioned, and they certainly are less than honest about their take and the receiver of the service probably has another agenda if they run around bragging about their generosity. The cruiseline provides guidelines for the passengers. Then, it's up to the passenger to evaluate the level of service received and adjust the amount up or down. I guess that's how I would do it.

Perhaps you misundertood my post. I like europe and europeans just fine, I enjoy traveling there and have european friends. But europeans do not tip well, generally. My post was mearing saying that if you are a waiter who lives off of tips, you would try to avoid too many tables with europeans. It does not make them bad people, it's just part of their culture that the tip amount is generally less. This is not a slander, just a fact. Ask anyone who has waited tables.

The reason that American server types don't like Europeans is that in Europe the tip is built into the price and Europeans are not just used to not tipping, but are used to leaving the odd coins from a check. That makes it even worse in the eyes of an American server.

Ok!!! Thanks for the clarification. :D

Again, I have no problem with european people, they are usually very nice. I am not being small minded, just realistic. If you make your living off tips and the americans in the room are (generally) leaving you a %20 tip, and all the european's are leaving you %8 tip, you are obviously going to try to not get too many of those %8 tables. I don't care who there are of where they come from, and I certainly don't think it makes them bad people. But when it is your paycheck at stake, don't you take notice? Of would you be so scared of being politically incorrect that you'd take the %50 pay cut?

Archived