Rental car worries; if we are in an accident, do we go to jail?

zachnlucy

We've reserved a rental car and planned to drive to Dzibanche. I work for an attorney who has now advised me not to drive anywhere in Mexico. He told me that if we are involved in an accident and no matter who is to blame, that the driver of our vehicle will be immediately transported to jail where the driver will stay until we can pay all of the damages, just because we are American. He went on further to tell me horror stories about Americans driving in Mexico. I find this hard to believe. I would think this area of Mexico would be welcoming to tourists as we bring dollars to them. Does anyone here have knowledge about this? Would we be safe driving? My husband has never caused an accident and is a prudent driver.

We've reserved a rental car and planned to drive to Dzibanche. I work for an attorney who has now advised me not to drive anywhere in Mexico. He told me that if we are involved in an accident and no matter who is to blame, that the driver of our vehicle will be immediately transported to jail where the driver will stay until we can pay all of the damages, just because we are American. He went on further to tell me horror stories about Americans driving in Mexico. I find this hard to believe. I would think this area of Mexico would be welcoming to tourists as we bring dollars to them. Does anyone here have knowledge about this? Would we be safe driving? My husband has never caused an accident and is a prudent driver.
No problem for me renting and driving a car for 4 days in Cozumel. DO buy the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) insurance. This will cover you. Do not think that your credit card or personal car insurance will cover you like it does in the US, because it doesn't work that way in Mexico. The guy that told you the horror stories does have a kernel of truth at the center. If you don't have the insurance, you will be expected to pay for either the deductible (if there is one) or for the whole thing before you leave. They prefer cash. Just get the insurance, it is about $15 - $20 for a day, and well worth it for the peace of mind it will give you.

And have a great time.

Well, the problem with the rental car company is that I email in English and they respond in Spanish (sometimes). The other responses aren't responses at all, but just my email sent back to me from them (??). I spoke with my insurance company and they agreed to cover me for a day in Costa Maya for about $20, but they also told me that my insurance might not be acceptable in Mexico and I could face jail time, depending on the authorities. We rented a jeep in Cozumel and had a great time, but Cozumel is geared to tourism and we felt safe there. We've decided it's not worth the worry to rent a car in Costa Maya (where I'm told there are only 2 cars available anyway).

I think you need to get a special rider on your USA policy to cover you in Mexico, at least that's the way it used to be years ago. Perhaps the car rental company also sells the liability insurance.

dont think so---------------you MUST purchase mexican insurance with all the coverage you can get

Would have to read the fine print in present day personal auto policies. When I was in the insurance business we used to issue special ID cards for Mexico and notify the company. However the last several years before my retirement I worked only with commercial lines policy. Yes, I would certainly suggest a Mexican policy be purchased if they sell them at the rental car company.

With all due respect to all of you fine CC posters, the Mexican Police do not recognize most United States insurance. Unfortunatly this problem is the result of a few fly by night U.S. Insurance Companys refusing to live up to their responsibilitys and pay a legitimate Mexican claim. If I were to rent a car, I would purchase the Mexican Insurance, and still be worried if I had a wreck. Sorry JMHO.

Archived