Royal Palace at Caserta

maninmontreal

I'm thinking the Palace and Gardens "Reggia di Caserta" might be an interesting option for Naples. I understand it is about 45 minutes to Caserta by train and that there is a stop near the Palace which from photos I've googled looks fabulous. Has anyone done this trip and was it worthwhile ? How easy is it to get from the ship to the train station in Naples? Thanks.

I think the palace at Caserta is a great choice for a port day from Naples. I did it by myself in February and it was simple.

You leave from the main train station in Naples, Napoli Centrale. This station is about a mile and a quarter from the cruise ship terminal and you can get there on foot, by taxi, or using the #1 tram along the street in front of the port (Via Cristiforo Columbo).

The train takes 30 - 40 minutes and the best fare is to purchase a full day U4 Unicocampania ticket (information here: http://www.unicocampania.it/index.php?lang=en&center=inside&colonna=biglietti&action=1). Weekdays this ticket costs Euro 5,80, on the weekends it's Euro 4,60 and it covers trains and buses in and between Naples and Caserta. On the day I went, I took the train up, but took the bus back because the next train didn't leave for a couple more hours. The bus stop in both places is right next to the train station.

At Caserta, the train station is across a plaza from the palace, which you can't miss when you come out of the station. You can walk directly across the plaza right into the center entry archway of the palace, the ticket office will be on your left.

Do ask about an audio guide, unless you read Italian well. All of the signage is in Italian.

Archived