Kruise Komics ?

Unfortunately no.

From your profile you sailed the EX in 2003. At that time they had a multi-disciplined cast of four performers who could do a boatload (:)) of stuff, including stiltwalk for the parades, pooldeck sailaways, etc. I haven't seen performers like this on the big RCI ships for years.

Today, some of the general CD staff are trained in stiltwalking but that is about it.

They WERE indeed very entertaining. I first saw the Krooze Komics onboard Explorer of the Seas. I loved their pre-show talent, especially the small beach ball stunt that turned into a giant beach ball crowd throw. Alot of fun!

They are LOOOONG gone. When the Voyager class ships launched, there were 4 per ship. The performed on the Royal Promenade, did pre-shows in the theaters, and did stilt-walking in parades and at the various parties.

After a few years, they dropped down to two Komics. Then there were none, and the Cruise Staff took over the stilt walking and pre-shows. Then, the pre-shows went away.

I can't say it has made much difference in the cruise experience.

What a shame, there were times when they were more entertaining than the Headliners :D.

They didn't make a difference in the total cruise experience but they made a difference in the amount of smiles/laughter they created with their antics. Too bad it's all about the dollar vs. peoples enjoyment.

Years ago, I went to the RCI website and looked up "employment opportunities"

To be a kruise-komic, you had to be proficient in at least 8 (or 10) of 20 specialities, including the mandatory stilt-walking.

Sure it's not a central focus of the cruise to have these talented street performers out and about the ship but it did heighten and improve the cruise experience.

Cutbacks, cutbacks, cutbacks.

Of course, while Dave Chapman was the CD of the Explorer he had his own zany pre-show routine, done in pantomime, called "Hip,Hip,Hip". Dave, 2 CD staff and a willing passenger.

2878331820096246620S600x600Q85.jpg

On the left is Patrick, the new asst. CD. Dave is on the right.

We used to go to the theatre etxra early to see the Kruise Komics. They were great fun to watch. Such a a shame that they are gone. We only saw them twice on the Explorer and not on any other ship.

Archived