Butchart Garden in the Evening - Buying Tickets

Hi, we will be visiting Victoria on the Rotterdam this summer stopping in port from 6 p.m to midnight. We have been to Butchart Gardens before during the daytime, and were wondering if going in the evening was a good use of our visit. Our daughter uses a wheelchair and it will be her first visit. Will it be difficult to get around in the dark? Also, do we have to buy tickets/transportation in advance to the gardens ..or can we get off the ship and buy a shore excursion spontaneously? Thank you!

With your short time frame, I strongly suggest you to take the ship sponsored tour. They have a great evening light display which is worth seeing (at least in my opinion). The signs for wheelchair access are very clear and I presume they will have them well lit at night.

You bet, the gardens are illuminated at night and are well worth a visit. With a full six hours in Victoria, you do not need to book a ship's tour. I just happened to be speaking with CVS Cruise Victoria today, they operate the shuttle from the cruise terminal to downtown and also operate a tour from in front of the Empress Hotel to the gardens. I was interested in their accessible buses and they confirmed that they have several but need to know several days in advance of a person's needs and they will set it up for you. Under their contract with the cruiselines they can't operate a tour directly from the cruise terminal so you do need to take their shuttle and transfer at the Empress. Here is a link for your convenience. link Hope this works for you.

The Night Illuminations offer a subtle interplay of light and shadow throughout the gardens. The paths are lit and you should have no trouble getting around. The visitor map outlines the best way to go about for those in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. You really will see the other personality of the gardens.

Archived