Need Help Choosing an Excursion - Friend Can't Swim

Wonders10

Hi everyone,

If it were up to me, I'd pick an excursion that has me in the water. Maybe the turtle snorkel or the dolphin experience. But I'm going with a friend of mine and she cannot swim and doesn't feel comfortable out in the deep water - I think even with a noodle or life vest. I get that because even I get a little uneasy sometimes and I can swim. So what excursions would you recommend, either water related or not, for 2 30 year old women. This is her first cruise ever - my first visit to Cozumel. Is it possible to stay in port and shop, like in some of the other caribbean ports? We are also looking at the tequila tasting excursion. Although to be honest, I am a lightweight and I'm a little concerned I won't feel so well after it...but I'm willing to try :rolleyes:

Any suggestions would be great!

Why not just take a cab to Paradise beach. The water is calm and clear, there is a bar and restaurant and the lounge chairs and umbrellas are free. It is about a $13 cab ride from the ship.

The absolute funnest excursion I have ever experienced in Cozumel (been there 4 times) was the ATV Jungle Adventure offered through Royal Caribbean. Not sure which cruise line you are sailing, but see if they offer an ATV adventure.

You ride you ATV through the jungle at high speed, stopping to check out the ruins and history of the area, get muddy (if it's been raining) and overall have a blast.

It will beat the tar out of you (bumpy and rough) but it's worth it!!!

Here is a link to adventure tours in Cozumel offered by RCI.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/destinations/shoreExcursions/subGateWayByTypeAndDest/search.do;jsessionid=0000ZOoyYRKSCreDseKyTC6KI4A:13hldcctq?ActivityTypeId=2&DestinationCode=CARIB&CurrencyCode=USD&LocationCode=CZM

Enjoy!

You could look at the Playa Mia cooking class. It includes use of the beach and chairs etc. We had fun, so maybe a bit active with some beach and water but no swimming requirements. Don't even have to get into the water. Or you could simply have a lazy day in port and wander around the city center, shop and eat local ice cream. Yumm....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1065223&highlight=cooking&page=2

You're going to laugh at me when I make this recommendation. I had the same dilemma last year with my boys. One does not swim and the other three do. We shopped in Cozumel, but ended up at Senor Frogs and ate. We ended up spending hours there, while the three older boys went up and down the slide that poured into the ocean by the dock as the little boy and I ate and picked up shells. The margarita''s were good too!!! It cost me nothing more than the restaurant tab and shopping was directly behind me. I might recommend that you check out downtown Cozumel for better shopping, if you're a serious bargain hunter.

On a previously cruise to Cozumel we did rockwall climbing and tried out the zip line. It was fun and reasonably priced for the day.

You're going to laugh at me when I make this recommendation. I had the same dilemma last year with my boys. One does not swim and the other three do. We shopped in Cozumel, but ended up at Senor Frogs and ate. We ended up spending hours there, while the three older boys went up and down the slide that poured into the ocean by the dock as the little boy and I ate and picked up shells. The margarita''s were good too!!! It cost me nothing more than the restaurant tab and shopping was directly behind me. I might recommend that you check out downtown Cozumel for better shopping, if you're a serious bargain hunter.

On a previously cruise to Cozumel we did rockwall climbing and tried out the zip line. It was fun and reasonably priced for the day.

It actually sounds nice! We aren't super adventurous girls. We live in different states and do not get to see each other often so just hanging out with each other is fun. Please we plan on having late nights on the ship so we don't want anything to crazy during the day. Plus I have a feeling the less we spend on an excursion the better, for my friend anyway, so staying in the port and having a few drinks and shopping sounds perfect for us. I wasn't sure there was an area like that to hang out at so I'm glad to hear it!

She is also a foodie, and I like to pretend I am so the cooking class did jump out at me too...

Thanks everyone!

It actually sounds nice! We aren't super adventurous girls. We live in different states and do not get to see each other often so just hanging out with each other is fun. Please we plan on having late nights on the ship so we don't want anything to crazy during the day. Plus I have a feeling the less we spend on an excursion the better, for my friend anyway, so staying in the port and having a few drinks and shopping sounds perfect for us. I wasn't sure there was an area like that to hang out at so I'm glad to hear it!

She is also a foodie, and I like to pretend I am so the cooking class did jump out at me too...

Thanks everyone!

The cooking class is a lot of fun and a social thing to do. Plenty of friend time and there is some shopping at the resort. You can always leave right after the cook class and take a taxi downtown (that's what we did). Some beers, chips, salsa, and ice cream later we trundled back to the ship very happy.

Archived