Halifax tour combo?

We'll be visiting Halifax in August on the Caribbean Princess and I was hoping to get some opinions on tour choices. We'll be there from 9AM to 6PM.

We were thinking of booking the "Halifax City and Harbor Duck Tour" just for something quirky and fun. Runs either 10:15AM or 11:30AM for an hour.

I also want to make a point of visiting above all else, the Maritime Museum for the Titanic exhibit.

Princess is offering what they call "Essential Halifax Tour: Express Pass" that is the hop on/hop off double decker bus w/ admission to the Maritime Museum and the Citadel. The Express Pass supposedly allows you to bypass lines at least at the Citadel. Supposedly this would be included as the 'all loops tour' but we're really not interested in the rest of the stops.

Is it possible to do the duck tour which returns to the pier, then hop a double decker bus to visit the Maritime Museum and Citadel and then back to the pier? Is there someplace where I can view a routine schedule for stops? Or is it just worth returning after the duck tour and visiting the Maritime Museum on our own?

By duck tour I'm guessing its the Harbour Hopper. It's great, I did it a few years ago. You won't need to take a bus from the peir to the Museum, or to the Citidel for that matter, its all within walking distance (although to get to Citidel hill you will have to walk up a bit of a hill.) 9 am - 6 pm is WAY more than enough time to do this on your own.

I'm not sure when in August it is that you'll be here but The Busker Festival will be in Halifax from the 5-15...its definitely something to check out.

By duck tour I'm guessing its the Harbour Hopper. It's great, I did it a few years ago. You won't need to take a bus from the peir to the Museum, or to the Citidel for that matter, its all within walking distance (although to get to Citidel hill you will have to walk up a bit of a hill.) 9 am - 6 pm is WAY more than enough time to do this on your own.

I'm not sure when in August it is that you'll be here but The Busker Festival will be in Halifax from the 5-15...its definitely something to check out.

Thanks for the help! We booked the duck tour and will check out the museum and Citadel on our own in the afternoon. Unfortunately, we'll be in Halifax on the 19th so we'll just miss the festival.

Do you have any opinions on the Tall ship Silva sailing excursion? This is something we have never seen or done. Carnival offers it for $40.00 and website offers it for $20.00. Would this excursion leave from the same area where the Carnival Glory will be? We are also interested in the Harbour Hoppers tours. Carnival price is $46.00 and website is $26.00. Has anyone any experience with either of these?..Thanks!

Both of those are along the waterfront (nice 10 to 15 min. walk!) from where you dock. I have been on the Harbour Hopper. It is a lot of fun. You see a the harbour and then go on land for a brief look at central Halifax, including a trip up and around Citadel Hill.

The Silva is a large sailboat that does trips in the harbour. I have not been on it, but on a nice day it should be fabulous.

• 3 weeks later...

Question, we are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on September 4 going to Halifax, is the Pier 21 museum close to where the cruise ships dock. I came to Canada with my mother a Canadian war bride on August 12, 1946 and I would love to check it out. Thanks for your help. Fiona Herman

Question, we are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on September 4 going to Halifax, is the Pier 21 museum close to where the cruise ships dock. I came to Canada with my mother a Canadian war bride on August 12, 1946 and I would love to check it out. Thanks for your help. Fiona Herman

Looks like your ship is docking at Pier 22, that would be right next to Pier 21 and the museum. The musem is really worth a visit, make sure to see the 4D movie.

There are 2 cemetaries with Titanic victims buried, Fairview and Mt Olivet, neither are within easy walking distance of the pier. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Pier+21,+Marginal+Road,+Nova+Scotia&daddr=Mt+Olivet+Cemetery,+Mumford+Rd,+Halifax,+NS&geocode=Fd4iqQIdpA42_CEtqR9BI6Wc1SlHNv1_SSJaSzFWCJGd2RUujQ%3BFblJqQId4CI1_Cn3w1cxvSFaSzEKv1qF0LYEyA&gl=ca&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=w&sll=44.642825,-63.597785&sspn=0.058992,0.109692&ie=UTF8&ll=44.647651,-63.602943&spn=0.029494,0.054846&z=14

A marks the pier, B is Mt Olivet and if you zoom in and look NNE you will see Fairview Cemetary. It would be a short cab ride.

We are going to Halifax on Carnival Glory in Early July. My wife and I are undecided between two shore excursions and would like your help. We would like to see Peggy's Cove and the Fairview Lawn Cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried. Both tours offer this. However the Second tour "Top 10 of Halifax has some extra stops. My question is is the extra stuff worth doing and is it worth the extra money ($40 vs $80)? The links to both shore excursions are below. We are in our early 30's if that helps :)

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=NN&portcode=YHZ&excursionname=Peggy%27s+Cove+%26+Titanic&excursioncode=224045

Peggy's Cove and Titanic $40pp

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=NN&portcode=YHZ&excursionname=Top+10+Best+of+Halifax+Tour&excursioncode=224037

Top 10 of Halifax ($80pp)

Any suggestions, tips etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

We are going to Halifax on Carnival Glory in Early July. My wife and I are undecided between two shore excursions and would like your help. We would like to see Peggy's Cove and the Fairview Lawn Cemetery where the Titanic victims are buried. Both tours offer this. However the Second tour "Top 10 of Halifax has some extra stops. My question is is the extra stuff worth doing and is it worth the extra money ($40 vs $80)? The links to both shore excursions are below. We are in our early 30's if that helps :)

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=NN&portcode=YHZ&excursionname=Peggy%27s+Cove+%26+Titanic&excursioncode=224045

Peggy's Cove and Titanic $40pp

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?region=NN&portcode=YHZ&excursionname=Top+10+Best+of+Halifax+Tour&excursioncode=224037

Top 10 of Halifax ($80pp)

Any suggestions, tips etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

I think I'd do the Peggy's Cove & Titanic. It's half the time and half the cost. You can do most of the rest in the top 10 & Halifax tour on your own for less then the $80 you'll save between the two of you. Acadian Maple is on the Road to Peggy's Cove so you'd miss out on that but the Crystal place is right on the waterfront so you could see that and Citidal Hill, you'll probably at least get to view as you're leaving or coming back into town.

Or you could just rent a car and do it all on your own. But of course you won't get any commentary on the way, unless you pick me up and take me with you :D

• 2 months later...

We are new to the "Cruise Critics" (club?) and understand that they usually meet somewhere while aboard the ship. We are taking the New England-Canada cruise on Caribean Princess on Oct 2. Is there going to be a get together on board?

We would like to do that. However, I'm so new to "Cruise Critic" I'll even have to search to find any reply to this post, because I'm not sure exactly how I got here ... :rolleyes:

We are new to the "Cruise Critics" (club?) and understand that they usually meet somewhere while aboard the ship. We are taking the New England-Canada cruise on Caribean Princess on Oct 2. Is there going to be a get together on board?

We would like to do that. However, I'm so new to "Cruise Critic" I'll even have to search to find any reply to this post, because I'm not sure exactly how I got here ... :rolleyes:

Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1144753

Archived