Onboard Expenses

You use your cruise card (which is also your room key) to pay for everything. When you check-in you will give them a credit card and unless pay by cash at the end of the cruise they will charge that card for all your charges.

Will be travelling on the Jewel soon. How do onboard charges/expenses work? Do I give them a credit card each time? Can I bill to the room? Do I have an ongoing "account" which I pay at the end of the cruise?

When you board you secure your onboard account with a credit card (easiest), debit card (easy but the hold they put on it may stay on your card for 30 days), or cash (a minimum amount is necessary but I don't know what it is). Your onboard account is accessed by your room key and everything you buy onboard will require the staff to take your room key for processing the transaction. You will be presented with an invoice on the last night that details your charges and if there are no disputes the balance, less any onboard credit you have, will be charged to your method of payment. (Your daily service charge will be charged to your account daily unless you've prepaid it.)

As stated, your room card handles all.

The daily damage is a great way to manage expenses. As we're not drinkers we never had "that" surprise, but when you see the PP steward charge and the excursion charges (if any) only on the last day, it can really make you wonder what you were thinking! With the daily damage review it'll steer you maybe more to the MDR/buffet than Cagney's and such.

Our last cruise it was like we had 3 other people in the room when we saw the bill! :eek: But if you don't spend it, $ has no value and the $ spent was a great time so it definitely wasn't wasted.

Derek

On our recent cruise on the Gem, we really loved being able to view our account on the TV. We had never bothered to get a daily printout before, although we completely understand the advantage, we just couldn't be bothered. Being able to do it from the comfort of our cabin was a huge plus and alleviated the surprise at the end of the cruise. I'm curious how many of the ships have this now (the Gem sure didn't have it when we first cruised her)?

Does everyone get their own account? I ask because my son is sharing a room with my mother in law and I will pay for his expenses and my mother in law will pay for her own. I wasn't sure if the account is per room or per person. Also, how do you prepay for your daily service charges?

Does everyone get their own account? I ask because my son is sharing a room with my mother in law and I will pay for his expenses and my mother in law will pay for her own. I wasn't sure if the account is per room or per person. Also, how do you prepay for your daily service charges?

When they check-in, they will be asked if they want one account for the cabin or each have their own account. You can put your son's account on your credit card, and she can put hers on her credit card.

Here is what the website says about pre-paying service charges:

"Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added."

The accounts can be set up for each individual person. So when you check in, you would tell them that you intend to be billed for your son and yourself (and whoever else you want), and your mother-in-law for her expenses.

You should contact NCL about pre-paying your daily service charges. Otherwise they will appear on each day's bill, the amount for that day -- per person -- and are payable at the end o fyour cruise.

Archived