Miracle 5-7-10 Review of our Awesome Cruise

KCTravel

This is my first attempt at a review and I’m doing this as I received so much help planning our cruises on Cruise Critic and as homage to the great reviews I’ve read here!

DH and I love the Spirit class of Carnival ships. We took this same cruise last year and had such a great time and decided to do it again. I didn’t think we would top last year’s cruise, but we did. We sailed with a great group of fellow cruisers out of NYC and had so much fun meeting new friends on this cruise.

CABIN:

We tried the 7A obstructed balcony for the first time and were able to book Cabin 5236. This was the standard size cabin, however, our balcony was three-balcony lengths but the same regular width. We had a lounge chair, regular reclining chair and table. This balcony was awesome! We had a break between the lifeboats so we could look down and also across the tops of the life boats to see the ocean. This cabin is right next to the elevators and the ice room for the stewards and yet it was extremely quiet. It was a great location, right next to the elevators and the steps.

EMBARKATION:

I love sailing out of NYC and do not like to fly. We caught an earlier train in NJ and arrived at Penn Station about 10:30 and caught a cab to the port. We were there by 11:00 am. (Cab fare $12 plus tip.) One of my goals for this cruise was to NOT over pack. I checked on the Carnival site and confirmed we could bring our own luggage onboard as long as it measured less than 16x24x30. I wanted to do this as we had one 29 inch suitcase (which was smaller than the noted measurements), one carry on and my beach bag and I had most of my clothes in that one larger bag. However, we were stopped by two Carnival employees, stating the bag had to be checked. I respectfully requested to speak with a supervisor who stated that bag had to be checked and “to not challenge him.” So..back we went to the porter’s desk to check our bag.

We then proceeded directly to the first Security check. One note: we were asked to show our Fun Pass and ID. NYC is the only port we’ve ever had to show our Fun Pass so be sure to print out if you are sailing from NYC. We placed our carry on and beach bag on the belt and the Security guy asked our permission to examine the carryon bag. He wanted to verify that my 6-pack of diet coke was not beer so he pulled that out and ignored the bottles of water.

We were Zone 2 and waited about 20-30 minutes to board. On to the ship quickly and we went right to the excursions desk and booked the Behind the Fun Tour for our last sea day. We had booked Early Saver and our fare had gone down so we had an onboard credit to use for the Tour.

Up to the Lido deck for lunch, dropped our carry on and beach bag in our room and back on the Aft deck to read and relax in the sun.

Muster drill was quick and we left port about 4:30. We met our Roll Call group at the Orpheus Aft bar for our first meet and greet—Hi all!! Please feel free to jump in if I've missed something!

Our suitcase was in our room before our dinner (early) and I was glad to see it!! We were at a table for six in the center of the dining room and met a great couple from Rhode Island and another couple from Boston. (Hi to Dorian and Anthony and Tom and Debbie—thanks for being awesome tablemates!)

We watched the game show in the Phantom theater and then onto the disco which was fun.

FIRST TWO DAYS AT SEA

It seemed to us there were many more activities during the sea days than before. The first sea day was sunny and warm but very windy. When walking on Deck 10, you were almost blown over. All of the deck chairs on Deck 10 were strapped down—I guess they could have blown off the deck! We spent some time on deck in the afternoons and there did not seem to be many chair hogs on our cruise.

We finally attended a tea and enjoyed this mid-day break. There was a piano player and the tea was not busy—I think we went the first sea day but it did seem to get busier as the week went on as we passed through the Jeeves lounge.

We played several trivia games including trivia rumble which was team trivia and timed so it was quite exciting. The trivia was very competitive on our cruise but Scattergories was so competitive, it was cut-throat! All types of trivia contests were held—sports, movies, 80’s, TV themes, music and the ultimate mind game. Win, Lose or Draw was funny because there were quite a few non-artists including me! We attended Battle of the Sexes with Smithy and this was so fun—the women won! Our tablemates enjoyed the Bean Bag tosses.

We went to karaoke the first night and it was a great crowd of talented singers. DH was inspired to represent for NJ and did a Bruce song.

The second night we attended the 80’s Flash Back in the Disco until it got too crowded and smoky.

Elegant night was the first night.

Sunday was Mother’s Day and was celebrated with a huge cake in the Atrium lobby and a picture of many of the Moms on the cruise. Also, at dinner, we received a carnation and a special Mother’s Day dessert that was intensely chocolate and had Mom written on it.

Love the Miracle

Had this cabin last year... I thought the balcony was not as deep as previous balcony cabins..

But a great cabin none the less!

Glad you had a good time

Hi Trock:

The picture you posted for this cabin helped us to decide to book it so thanks!

going in june....reading ur review n i want to pack!!! cant wait to hear more

Wish I was going again--thanks!

continuing with our three port days:

GRAND TURK:

We were off the ship early and chose a prime spot at the pool (with shade!). The pools were great and the sun was shining! Around 11:00, the crowd picked up and the DJ led some games at Margaritaville and the Flow Rider was fun to watch.

The past guest party was this night and there were two seatings.

HALF MOON CAY:

This beach is the reason we booked this cruise again. :D I want to shipwreck myself on Half Moon Cay. On my comment card, I suggested a cruise just to Half Moon Cay for a few days.

This year, we were fortunate to be included with a group that reserved the Private Oasis. (Thank you Brie for being the Master Organizer! Hi Everyone!!) We were in the first tender over and went right to the Oasis. We had our own private Carnival staff including a bartender, chef to grill our food, hostess/security and someone constantly checking and cleaning. Alex was great as our hostess and was very kind to the folks who walked up the wooden sidewalk to use the slide or the children who swam over to use it. The slide is private for those that rent the Oasis. Also included were a hot tub, small private beach with beach chairs and clamshells, deck with chaise loungers and Adirondack chairs, shaded main area with table and chairs, two real and clean bathrooms, real shower, slide into the water next to steps into the water, snorkel equipment for all, floats, grill and bar. The bar was stocked with sodas, beers and mixed drink ingredients that had been requested and when a beer that had been requested was not included, they went and got a carton of that beer. The drinks are all included and were flowing all day. We had chips, fresh salsa and guacamole there when we arrived and the chef grilled chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs and tilapia on our grill at lunch. After lunch, we were on the floats and drinks were delivered to us via the steps—it was the ultimate pampering.

The sand is like silk and you can see your feet even in over ten feet of water. There were some fish and minnows in the water. It was breezy early on and the wind kicked up later in the day. This caused a little delay in the tenders getting folks back on the boat. (The next day in Nassau we learned the Norwegian Jewel did not stop at their private island because of the wind so THANK YOU Captain Volpi!!)

NASSAU:

This was our third visit to Nassau. Previously, we've snorkeled and gotten the day pass for the Sheraton. This trip, we opted to get the day pass at the British Colonial Hilton.

We met up with a cruise buddy who was visiting Nassau for the first time and walked over to the BCH. We made reservations online ahead of time to lock in the $40.00 price and avoid the new price effective 5-1-10 (I think it went to $55.00.) Also, there were four other ships in port that day and I wanted something quiet. The day pass includes a $30 food allowance. The BCH is right past the Straw Market. We entered the quiet and cool lobby and went over to reception. We presented our reservation slips and paid the balance on our day pass.

We went out the back door and the garden was lovely with tropical flowers. We went to the towel booth and got our towels and chose to sit under a palapa on the beach (shade again!) There were loungers and little tables on the beach and the pool had lounge chairs as well. The pool was nice and very warm and there was a life guard. There were small kayaks, floats, tubes and sand toys available.

A waiter did walk the beach but DH went up and got our sodas. (Paper cup = $3.00) At lunch time, we went up and sat at a table and DH and Cruise Buddy had grouper fingers and I had a great salad topped with grilled shrimp. We all enjoyed our lunches which were delicious and I think $11-$15 each. The food is transported from the hotel kitchen and took about 25 minutes. We were right on the harbor and watched the cruise ships come in and many of the fishing boats and excursion boats. The ocean was fine at this beach. It was open from 9:00 to 5:00 and was lovely. That being said, the use of the food pass was unorganized. (Note—gratuity is included in each item charged.) We wanted to see how much we had left on our pass and had to wait over an hour for our server to come back (not sure where he was.)

Will post later today!

LAST TWO DAYS AT SEA:

Wow—time was going so fast. The seas were like glass the entire way home and the weather was warm, sunny with a nice breeze. Again, so many activities to choose from along with deck time and we had no problem finding chairs on deck. We did two-team Scattergories and had a blast—Yeah Superstars!!!!

Friday morning, we did the Behind the Fun tour—more info to come on that.

On Friday afternoon, we were on the Aft deck about 5:00 and we spotted an aircraft carrier. I thought we might be off the coast at Norfolk, VA. We watched jets taking off in two’s and then we saw jets landing on the aircraft carrier. One helicopter circled our ship and then a second helicopter flew low over the Aft deck with the cargo door open so we could see the guys inside who were waving at us and we were waving back. (I googled this when we got home and wonder if we saw the USS Enterprise that was having night flight tests that evening?)

Time just flew that last day. The debarkation talk was on TV for those that needed info. Of course, the dining room staff sang “Leaving on a Cruise Ship” which just brings home the fact our cruise is ending. We meant to go to the Legends show but ran out of time. We packed and kept our bags in the cabin because we were doing the self-assist debarkation.

BEHIND THE FUN ULTIMATE TOUR:

The tickets for this tour were $95.00 each and our tour left at 9:00am on the last sea day and we were done about 12:45. We were on the move the entire time but did relax for about ten minutes in the crew bar/TV room. We were advised when we purchased the tickets that no cameras, cell phone or recording devices would be allowed. We were wanded by security when we started the tour to confirm we “clear.” We were also told that guests must wear closed toe shoes or sneakers and no sandals or flip flops. Ach—I only packed sandals and flip flops! So, I’m thinking I’ll wear DH’s sneakers and he can wear his dress shoes. (He did volunteer and it would have been funny to see him with dress shoes and shorts.) New friend Dorian came to our rescue and lent me her water shoes so DH could keep his sneakers—thanks Dorian!! We really enjoyed this tour! It was led by Vicky who is the Trainer for the Miracle. We were on the Phantom stage and learned about the technology involved in the shows and one of the dancers showed us behind the stage and their dressing area and costumes. We saw the gallery and were taken through the steps when we order a meal in the dining room. We met the Chef de Cuisine who led this part of the tour. We saw two of the chefs carving fruits and vegetables and showed us how to make vegetable flowers. We had a group photo taken by one of the photographers. We saw the ice cream locker, meat locker and beer locker. It was the end of the cruise so we could go in these huge rooms which are totally stocked at the beginning of each cruise. We met the environmental officer and learned how recycling is done and how trash is handled etc. We went to the engine room and met the ship’s engineer and this was cool. We went through the crew area of the ship and saw the crew galley as well as the crew dining area and the officer’s dining area. We were in the laundry and I want a home version of the machine where the damp bed sheets are fed and come out dry, pressed and folded. We spent time on the bridge and met Captain Volpi and had our photos taken with the Captain and then a group photo as well. These photos were in our cabin when we came back from dinner. Our tour ended at Nick and Nora’s and we spent time in the galley with the chefs that cook each item to order. Our tour ended here with complimentary champagne and fresh-squeezed OJ.

DEBARKATION:

We do the self-assist debarkation so we can just get a cab and get to Penn Station for our train home. Last year, it was an absolute nightmare! I think debarkation has improved immensely this cruise—we received a schedule and informational paper in our cabin the day before. We passed under the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge about 6:30am and by the Statue of Liberty about five minutes later. We pulled into the dock right at 7:30am. We had breakfast in the MDR and the all clear was given about 8:20. We were able to take the elevator down to the second floor, out to Customs and on to the Taxi Queue. We made our 9:10 train! (Cab fare $7.20 plus tip)

STAFF:

Everyone was so friendly and always had a greeting!

Leonard was our Stealth Room Steward! We rarely saw him but he was great.

Sunil and Rex were our head waiter and assistant waiter and were also great. They are excellent dancers!

Smithy, Julie and Ali (aka Jersey Girl) from the CD staff were awesome and funny.

SHOWS

We saw Ticket to Ride which was great and did have some changes from last year. We went to the juggler/comedian show with Marcus Monroe but left after the first ten minutes—just not our type of show. We missed the Ventriloquist and the Comedian. We saw Generations before so skipped it on this cruise.

OTHER:

We chose early dining in the MDR. We had breakfast in the MDR a few times, on the Lido and room service twice. Lunch was always on the Lido. We really didn’t have that hard a time finding tables. The best desserts are Bitter and Blanc and the White Chocolate Bread pudding—yum!!!

This was the first cruise we were on that had the Future Cruise Vacation desk and we attended the presentation and did get a certificate so we will be cruising again. (I admit I am addicted to cruising!)

We sailed with a great group of fellow passengers—thank you all for making this an awesome cruise!!

I have copies of the Fun Times if anyone has any questions!

Thanks for reading!

K

Thanks for a GREAT review. Sounds like you had a wonderful, relaxing cruise. We've done "Miracle" several times and are NEVER disappointed. Can't wait to board her again in November. See you aboard? ;)

"SKY"

Hey K.... Great review... Have to admit ,this being my first Carnival cruise , I was a little apprehensive about this cruise after two wonderful cruises on HAL Noordam.. Well I have never had the post cruise blues so bad!!:(

I think having such a great roll call group really helps set the tone for a cruise.. My favorite stop has always been HMC, but this time with the Private "O" it has to be one if not the best day on all of my cruises.. Have to agree the long tender lines at the end of the day were due to the winds.. Thankfully we did not miss the stop..

Want to add a plug for Jack's Shack in Grand Turk.. If you want a nice change of pace from Margaritaville take a short walk down the beach and say hello to Jack.. Good drinks,food and beach..

I love the size and lay-out of the spirit class ships, they are very similar to the vista class ( Noordam) on HAL ..

The other contributing factor to this great cruise was that we had a aft wrap.. By far the best room I have ever had.. I sat out on that veranda for hours just watching the sea and listening to the wake.. Talk about rest and relaxation.. IMO the best location for sailaways..

We are seriously thinking of doing a repeat next year.. I would just hope it came close to the fun we had on this trip..

Bulldog

KC, your review was excellent. We were very happy to hear about Penn station as we are doing the same thing. We are planning on catching an 11:30 am after debarkation and it sounds like it may not be a problem. I was just wondering if we DIDN'T do self-assist debarkation, how long it would take. And..I wonder why the taxi was less expensive returning to Penn. I'm guessing maybe it has to do with spending time in a taxi line to get to the ship. We are thinking of having the taxi drop us off across the street from the ship instead of paying to wait in a taxi drop off line. Any thoughts?

Great review. So glad to hear Captain Volpi is at the helm again!!! He's such a character!

Glad to hear debarkation is improving. One of our group was in a wheelchair so they kept us at Jeeves until all clear for the wheelchairs to go so I could not compare it to the nightmare the year before.

I love how easy it is to maneuver around the spirit class ships. Although I can't compare to the rest of the Carnival Fleet (have done Pride, Legend and Miracle), comparing it to other lines we've been on, give Spirit class a one up for easily getting around the ship.

Now that the post cruise depression is setting in, make sure you start looking for your next cruise:D

Kathy

Great review. I just got off the Miracle this morning and we also had smooth as glass seas back and we seen an aircraft carrier doing manuvers off the Virginia coast.

Unfortunately it poured the entire day we were at Half Moon Cay. We had the Oasis as well (Thanks Darren!) and we were all huddled there.

We loved the cruise so much that seven of us from our roll call are rebooked for next year the same week.

Hi

I am going in a few weeks and was happy to hear that the trip to penn station worked for u. May I ask how much did u pack? We are considering it but for 3 of us it would be 3 suitcases and a carryon...as well as a 5 yr old? It may not be doable for us. As well as i usually overpack and am trying to cut t down this time

Also, how - formal or dressed up did people get for dinner...even on the normal casual days? I am a RC cruisier and am used to dressing up each night.

Thanks

Erica

Hi

I am going in a few weeks and was happy to hear that the trip to penn station worked for u. May I ask how much did u pack? We are considering it but for 3 of us it would be 3 suitcases and a carryon...as well as a 5 yr old? It may not be doable for us. As well as i usually overpack and am trying to cut t down this time

Also, how - formal or dressed up did people get for dinner...even on the normal casual days? I am a RC cruisier and am used to dressing up each night.

Thanks

Erica

Hi Erica:

We traveled to NY on a Friday. We had one larger bag with wheels (29 inches) and my husband took charge of that one and I had a 21 inch carryon size bag with wheels and I pulled that and my beach bag which I kept on my shoulder. In the past, my husband pulled two duffle bags with wheels but the one bigger bag worked better.

You might be able to manage on the train: we stood on the platform in Hamilton towards the front, (we were the second stop after Trenton) and did not travel during rush hour. Our train left about 9:00 am. The train was pretty empty when we got on. At the front of the car, there were seats that faced each other and a big seat, opposite the handicapped spot, that was easy to just park our bags. The conductor allowed more than enough time for us to get on and off the train.

On arrival in Penn Station, we let everyone off first and then got off and took the elevator rather than the escalator. There is a gap between the train and the platforms so you do have to lift your bag.

Coming home was a Saturday and we took the elevator down to the platform and just looked for a good spot.

We did get offers from folks to help lift bags.

If one person could manage two of the bags and one person could do one bag and the 5 year old, it might work.

As to what to wear for dinner: most folks get changed after dinner so you can get more than one wearing out of your dinner clothes. We had two elegant nights on this cruise and saw everything from pretty sun dresses to cocktail dresses to black dress pants and dressy tops. Suits for the guys and also just dress pants, shirts and ties and dress pants and polo shirts for the guys. Other nights, khaki pants/shorts and polo shirts for the guys and capri's and nice tops for the ladies worked.

Hope this helps!

K

Archived