luau

pdz

My absolute favorite Luau is the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. I also think it is worth the extra $ to get the traditional floor seating up front by the stage. If you have questions about a specific luau I have been to, let me know. I have been to ALL the luaus on Kauai, Kaanapali and Hyatt luaus on Maui (plus Old Lahaina), and the Germaine's and Paradise Cove luaus on Oahu.

My absolute favorite Luau is the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. I also think it is worth the extra $ to get the traditional floor seating up front by the stage. If you have questions about a specific luau I have been to, let me know. I have been to ALL the luaus on Kauai, Kaanapali and Hyatt luaus on Maui (plus Old Lahaina), and the Germaine's and Paradise Cove luaus on Oahu.

What is your opinion on the Smith Family Luau on Kauai? About how many people are at that luau? From photos I've seen online, it seems that this luau may not be as crowded as the luau the ship uses. That is the one that will work with our schedule the best, plus if you book through Roberts they provide transporation there and back to the ship.

Thanks for your information.

What is your opinion on the Smith Family Luau on Kauai? About how many people are at that luau? From photos I've seen online, it seems that this luau may not be as crowded as the luau the ship uses. That is the one that will work with our schedule the best, plus if you book through Roberts they provide transporation there and back to the ship.

Thanks for your information.

We did the Smith Family Luau with Roberts. There were only 18 passengers picked up at the ship. We got there in plenty of time. We walked around the tropical gardens, watched as they dug the pig up at the imu pit and had drinks (mai tais) before the buffet dinner. After dinner, everyone moved to the outdoor, covered bleachers for the show.

I estimate probably 300 or 400 people at the luau. The food was plentiful and very good. I know that this is a commercial operation, but it has a personal old-fashioned feel. The grandfather meets and greets everyone. The "auntie" is the dessert server. Some of the dancers are children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. The show was good, especially the fire dance!

We got back to the ship about 9:30 p.m. A few more passengers joined us on the bus the way back. They were the ones that also added the fern grotto to their luau. They were brought over before the folks that just bought the luau. The bus was still only about half full.

Back at the ship, another couple asked us if we went to the luau. They asked if we liked it. Of course, we said we did. The lady said she thought the pork was too salty. I then found out they were at the ship's luau. I guess I picked the right one!!

Enjoy!!

We did the Smith Family Luau with Roberts. There were only 18 passengers picked up at the ship. We got there in plenty of time. We walked around the tropical gardens, watched as they dug the pig up at the imu pit and had drinks (mai tais) before the buffet dinner. After dinner, everyone moved to the outdoor, covered bleachers for the show.

I estimate probably 300 or 400 people at the luau. The food was plentiful and very good. I know that this is a commercial operation, but it has a personal old-fashioned feel. The grandfather meets and greets everyone. The "auntie" is the dessert server. Some of the dancers are children, grandchildren, nieces and nephews. The show was good, especially the fire dance!

We got back to the ship about 9:30 p.m. A few more passengers joined us on the bus the way back. They were the ones that also added the fern grotto to their luau. They were brought over before the folks that just bought the luau. The bus was still only about half full.

Back at the ship, another couple asked us if we went to the luau. They asked if we liked it. Of course, we said we did. The lady said she thought the pork was too salty. I then found out they were at the ship's luau. I guess I picked the right one!!

Enjoy!!

Thanks for the review. I think we will go ahead and book it!

Have you been to the Luau at the Hilton in Oahu? Someone told me that it was the best one.

Actually, I don't believe the costs are any different whether you choose the traditional seating or at a regular table. You can pick which you want, though, and the earlier you book, the better seating you'll get. We booked it several months in advance and got right in the front/center -- and we loved every minute of it!

My absolute favorite Luau is the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. I also think it is worth the extra $ to get the traditional floor seating up front by the stage.

When it comes to choosing a luau on Kauai, you really have to choose what is important to you. Food, drinks, and scenery vs. hula show and fire dancing.

Smith's luau is one of the best on Kauai. It is more of a traditional luau than the one the cruise ships recommend going to. The food is fantastic and the gardens are pretty, but the performance isn't great (a bit too cheesy, and a little boring at times).

Some of the most incredible dancing and best fire performances I have seen is at the Kalamaku Luau at the Kilohana Plantation. It is made like a theatrical performance...not your traditional luau at all. The food isn't that great, and the drinks are heavily watered down. Though far from an authentic performance (if one exists), I think you will leave absolutely amazed at what you see. Total downside...under a big white tent!

NO other luau on Kauai is worth going to, IMHO.

We booked the one from the ship. Are we going to be sorry?

You won't be sorry. I was not even planning on going to a Luau but then my daughter had surprised us by buying tickets for the ship's Luau. The show was so entertaining and pig was so delicious!

We did Germaine's in Oahu and it was a blast. Each bus had a different guide and they made the ride a blast. Our guide, Alika, spoke with everyone on the bus and somehow remember ALL of our names. We also played games on the bus to pass the 45 minute ride. The luau was alot of fun. I somehow got my hubby on stage in a coconut bra! He still hasn't forgiven me. The food was also very good.

Archived