Help me make it super special.

golfmom98

My son (11) and I will be taking a cruise in August aboard the Carnival Ecstasy. It will be my second cruise and his first. I really try to make a big deal about our vacations. They are our celebrate time. You see 5 years ago he was diagnosed with a large (benign thank the LORD) brain tumor. He spent the better part of 6 months learning to walk and talk again. (I would tell the whole story but it's way to long to type out tonight lol) Any way since then I've always done something special for him during our vacations to make sure he knows how proud of him and all he's gone through, and I want to continue that tradition. We have gone to both Disney parks and it was so easy to have little things like those yummy rice crispy mickey's with the chocolate covered ears and stuff like that delivered each night and waiting on us for a late night snack, or the customized mouse ears waiting in the room when we checked in. After looking at the stuff from BV i wasn't impressed and don't think he would really like anything they have any way. Now my question to all you super creative mom's here is what would you suggest I do to make sure he knows this trip is both for relaxing but also as a celebration of 5 years being tumor free (if any of you have delt with tumors or cancer you know that the 5 year mark is a BIG one) and doing such an awesome job of just being a good kid and beating the odds. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Are you familiar with John Heald's blog?

http://johnhealdsblog.com/

I think this is an occasion that you need to contact him, tell your basic story, just like you did here, and have him contact the cruise director on the Ecstasy. They can do little things for your son, like a welcome note in the cabin, maybe arrange a meeting with the captain, and a solid gold plastic ship on a stick...

If you aren't familiar with the blog, click on the latest blog, go dow to the bottom where you can send a message. In the opening, make sure you say 'please reply'. It will be several weeks before he replies on the blog...He runs about three to four weeks behind...EM

What a great way to celebrate. I know it sounds kind of simple but what about suprising him with a really exciting excursions at one of your ports. My dd 10 loves horseback riding so I am suprising her with a ride on the beach in grand turk. Maybe there is something that he always wanted to do ride in a dune buggy, go 4 wheeling, go on a zip line. Most boys like to be active. I guess it also depends how adventurous you are.

I agree with a special excursion. Pick something that would be a memory of a lifetime. Where are you cruising to? If you are going to Cozumel, Mexico there are several options for swimming w/ dolphins or even manatees.

You could have a special cake delivered at dinner. (This is something they do for b-days and anniversaries. Why not a tumor anniversary?)

You could take room decorations to decorate the room.

Talk to your cabin steward about towel animals. They usually decorate the rooms at night by putting towel animal on a bed. DD was always excited when they incorperated her sunglasses or something of hers with the towel animals. In fact she would even request certain animals during the trip! LOL!

I can't remember if Carnival doors will hold a magnet. You could have magnets made to decorate the doors.

If he is willing to do this you could have t-shirts made up for one day of the cruise stating it's a Celebration of Victory or something like that. That could be fun for a day at sea.

Thank you all for the great ideas. We are going to Progresso and Cozumel and I was planning on spending most of the day at Chankanaab in Cozumel and doing the SNUBA and a dolphin swim but he picked those out before I ever booked the trip :rolleyes:. EM Thank you for the idea to contact John Who? lol I will be doing that and hopefully he will have time to respond. I love reading his blogs, he's so funny!! Thanks again and if you have any more ideas let me know I'm open to just about any ideas you have.

what you do doesn't matter so much...sure he will get the message that you care no matter what it is

You're so right, but I think I do this more for me to see his reaction than for him to know he's loved. I show him how much he's loved every day but this is the one time of year I kinda go overboard for him. Being a single mom I scrimp and save through the year so that I can go crazy on vacation lol.

is your son a big sports fan...if so get him a jersey from his favourite team..not cruise related but trust me its a guy thing

Thanks for the input Captain! I'm currently awaiting the arrival of the Jerry Hughes Indianapolis Colts Jersey to the NFL store lol I wish they would hurry up I want one of my own!!! (Rah Rah TCU) Since he's a golfer I was thinking about a surprise golf lesson or two on the ship? Does any one know prices on the golf lessons or if they are any good?

I once read a blog by a senior gentleman on cruising. He spoke about the surprises he would pack for his wife. Something for everyday of the cruise. Things from the heart.

If your son does not raid your luggage, you might want to just find something special for each day. Honest the cruise stores are limited and expensive. You could get your cabin steward to put it on his pillow each night. Those people are great.

They have a miniature golf course, but I'm not sure about a golf pro...But you might arrange that in an excursion...EM

They do offer golf lessons on some ships, I've seen them being conducted but never participated. you'd have to look out for them in the capers as to if, when and how much, or call Carnival, they may be able to tell you in advance??!! I agree that you should plan some special things and pack them to bring with you, if you can't find alot on the ship to your liking.

I think what you are doing for your son is great, I have a little one and I can't even imagine what you and your son have gone through. I hope I never have to find out. He's lucky to have a such a strong mother in his life! And you are lucky to have a healthy little boy! Good luck! :)

They do offer golf lessons on some ships, I've seen them being conducted but never participated. you'd have to look out for them in the capers as to if, when and how much, or call Carnival, they may be able to tell you in advance??!! I agree that you should plan some special things and pack them to bring with you, if you can't find alot on the ship to your liking.

I think what you are doing for your son is great, I have a little one and I can't even imagine what you and your son have gone through. I hope I never have to find out. He's lucky to have a such a strong mother in his life! And you are lucky to have a healthy little boy! Good luck! :)

Thank you so much you made me cry happy tears! Some days it's hard to look back and other days it's the highlight of my day to remember how far he has come. Thank you again for reminding me how amazing my kiddo is and how blessed I am that God chose me to be his mom.

Archived