£5.95 for 'enhanced afternoon tea'

Mattsudds

I have just completed my second Fred. Olsen cruise of the year last week and popped in a short trip on the New Celebrity Eclipse in between, which was great. They are very different products on many scales but each cruise line offers a uniqueness which attracts its guests.

To be honest I am really surprised and saddened at some of the negative comments about this new tea thing on Fred.Olsen which personally I found a refreshing alternative to queuing as with so many other of cruise lines, and that’s including the Cunard Ships. Lets face it, to compare with Crystal is a little off mark as well and made me laugh out loud. How can anybody comment or critic if they have not experienced it? You can’t comment on the drive of a car if you have not driven it?

They advertise the Traditional Afternoon Tea it on the T.V., in the daily program and at the reception, so no confusion there. You can take or leave it just as with the pay Films (which are very moderately priced at 2.95), we booked quickly and easily whilst changing money at reception.

There is quite difference you get for the price of a packet of cigarettes. And I always say “choice is Luxury”. On the “all in one”, “Inclusive” cruise lines it’s simply take what you get without even getting a choice. Can you imagine cruising on ship which had only the basic standard cabin available with no choice to spoil yourself when the opportunity arose?

The industry trend now has been to offer more and more in restaurant choice, I dined in a different venue every night on the Eclipse and certainly didn’t mind paying the extra. When I am on vacation I love to spend my hard earned cash on spoiling myself and these upgrades make it all the better. The main dining room itself was great and included in the price with a choice of a few others, however I was on vacation and I find it can be quite un-stimulating to dine or eat in the same surroundings for a week or two.

The first cruise this year I took to my mother to the Traditional Afternoon Tea on the Balmoral and it was mothers day, we had champagne, a wonderful selection of loose teas from Taylors of Harrogate (presented in old fashion China Tea Caddies) served in Teapots with tea strainers on the side. The tables were decked with mini linen napkins, table cloths and flowers. There was plenty of room on the other side of the lounge which was not set up, for guests who like to read and enjoy the view, so no restraints there.

The mini pastries and Sandwiches arrived on a three tiered étagère and were wonderfully fresh and tasty. We had a recital from a classical pianist and a celebrity Flautist. After the sandwiches were finished the elegantly dressed, white glove service staff arrives with warm oven baked scones, fresh plates and pots of boiling water in case we needed a top up! We ended up booking again before the end of the cruise and last month on arriving on the Boudicca went straight to reception to book in for two more afternoons during our two week cruise to the Baltic. This will now be an important part of our cruise experience with Fred. Olsen, we will be in Fjords later in the year and coastal cruising with this experience seems like peaches and cream to me!

On other days we opted for the regular afternoon which was always still available every day, in several outlets, including the wonderful Gala Tea Dance and certainly in no way had been down graded, in fact the menus in the past year on Fred. Olsen seemed to have jumped a level with choicer all round. I say – Bring it on.

The fact that a cruise line continually increases and improves their offerings in giving a choice keeps us coming back for more, we love the choice as we can always take it or leave it!!

I have just completed my second Fred. Olsen cruise of the year last week and popped in a short trip on the New Celebrity Eclipse in between, which was great. They are very different products on many scales but each cruise line offers a uniqueness which attracts its guests.

To be honest I am really surprised and saddened at some of the negative comments about this new tea thing on Fred.Olsen which personally I found a refreshing alternative to queuing as with so many other of cruise lines, and that’s including the Cunard Ships. Lets face it, to compare with Crystal is a little off mark as well and made me laugh out loud. How can anybody comment or critic if they have not experienced it? You can’t comment on the drive of a car if you have not driven it?

They advertise the Traditional Afternoon Tea it on the T.V., in the daily program and at the reception, so no confusion there. You can take or leave it just as with the pay Films (which are very moderately priced at 2.95), we booked quickly and easily whilst changing money at reception.

There is quite difference you get for the price of a packet of cigarettes. And I always say “choice is Luxury”. On the “all in one”, “Inclusive” cruise lines it’s simply take what you get without even getting a choice. Can you imagine cruising on ship which had only the basic standard cabin available with no choice to spoil yourself when the opportunity arose?

The industry trend now has been to offer more and more in restaurant choice, I dined in a different venue every night on the Eclipse and certainly didn’t mind paying the extra. When I am on vacation I love to spend my hard earned cash on spoiling myself and these upgrades make it all the better. The main dining room itself was great and included in the price with a choice of a few others, however I was on vacation and I find it can be quite un-stimulating to dine or eat in the same surroundings for a week or two.

The first cruise this year I took to my mother to the Traditional Afternoon Tea on the Balmoral and it was mothers day, we had champagne, a wonderful selection of loose teas from Taylors of Harrogate (presented in old fashion China Tea Caddies) served in Teapots with tea strainers on the side. The tables were decked with mini linen napkins, table cloths and flowers. There was plenty of room on the other side of the lounge which was not set up, for guests who like to read and enjoy the view, so no restraints there.

We were met at the door to the lounge, guided to a reserved table, special menus, no queuing and the usual Fred.Olsen friendliness and smiles and certainly no rushing or pushing.

The mini pastries and sandwiches arrived on a three tiered étagère and were wonderfully fresh and tasty. We had a recital from a classical pianist and a celebrity Flautist. After the sandwiches were finished the elegantly dressed, white glove service staff arrives with warm oven baked scones, fresh plates and pots of boiling water in case we needed a top up! We love the two types of sugar cubes and the tongs as oppose to sachets that other vessels offer, it all added up to a wonderful detour from the regular! We ended up booking again before the end of the cruise and last month on arriving on the Boudicca went straight to reception to book in for two more afternoons during our two week cruise to the Baltic. This will now be an important part of our cruise experience with Fred. Olsen, we will be in Fjords later in the year and coastal cruising with this experience seems like peaches and cream to me!

On other days we opted for the regular afternoon which was always still available every day, in several outlets, including the wonderful Gala Tea Dance and certainly in no way had been down graded, in fact the menus in the past year on Fred. Olsen seemed to have jumped a level with choicer all round. I say – Bring it on.

The fact that a cruise line continually increases and improves their offerings in giving a choice keeps us coming back for more, we love the choice as we can always take it or leave it!!

I am very much against anything that

a) adds additional charges on a cruise

b) closes off and effectively surcharges lounge areas

c) restricts the choice of parts of an observation lounge that can be sat in.

On BW, The Observatory is "reserved" for pay-to-eat people on the port side, which is the side that a ship enthusiast can see most passing ships from. Being ejected from such a position (from which I will have been making purchases from the bar) for people who often have no interest in the view and just want to stuff themselves is not my "cup of tea".

Surely if such additional eating experiences are really considered necessary, one of the dining areas should be opened for this purpose.

Keep the observation areas open and available to all - people using the seats usually change over a few times during a sea day - taking breaks for lunch, lectures, bingo, etc.

Those people who have made use of this new money making extravaganza - how much weight do you now put on during a cruise, and how much extra have you paid afterwards in expanding your wardrobes? ;-)

We really only have afternoon tea if we have been ashore and missed lunch otherwise we would be coming off at the end "as cargo"!

HAL have afternoon tea in both the self serve areas and a "proper" waiter service version in the diningroom. In the diningroom there is often a musical accompaniment and they also do a few "themed" afternoon teas in an itinerary. EG British, Dutch, Indonesian, etc. These are only available in the diningroom. There is no additional charge for the diningroom version.

We too get annoyed if we are moved from or excluded from an area to allow for a paying event. It seems unfair. Diningrooms usually have good windows for viewing anyway, it should not be necessary to close off part of an otherwise public viewing lounge to accommodate people who are willing to pay to eat.

When Swan Hellenic had Minerva 11 they had their more upmarket waiter service afternoon tea served in the atrium to the accompaniment of someone playing the grand piano. There was no additional charge, the atrium was a nice location, and nobody else had to move to accommodate it. It also meant that the diningroom could be set for dinner right after lunch before the staff took their breaks. Perhaps FO could think about relocating the venue?

>On BW, The Observatory is "reserved" for pay-to-eat people on the port >side, which is the side that a ship enthusiast can see most passing ships >from. Being ejected from such a position (from which I will have been >making purchases from the bar) for people who often have no interest in >the view and just want to stuff themselves is not my "cup of tea".

>Surely if such additional eating experiences are really considered >necessary, one of the dining areas should be opened for this purpose.

>Those people who have made use of this new money making >extravaganza - how much weight do you now put on during a cruise, and >how much extra have you paid afterwards in expanding your wardrobes? ;-)

You could look at it another way and consider this afternoon tea arrangement was just made for ship enthusiasts.

It could be quite possible that non ship enthusiasts sit in the Observatory all day "Gongoozling".

Afternoon tea stirs these people up. There are pros and cons.

But would so many go to one of the restaurants if the afternoon tea was offered there?

I certainly wouldn't.

On BW the restaurants don't have the same view point nor the ability to exit rapidly to the ouside should something present itself to be photographed.

As regards the extra calories I ended up cutting back elsewhere.

No "Supper Club" except the Gala Buffet and that was just to say I had been there. Breakfast was also downgraded to basic continental after the first two days.

John

There are people who like to "gongoozle" at wildlife, too, though the side of the ship is not crucial for that. And why shouldn't they? Why should they be "stirred up"? I like to look at both ships and wildlife, and do not like the idea that I can only stay put if I pay extra. I do vacate the seat for lunch, and do not "reserve" the seat with a towel ;-)

You appear to be suggesting that you only go for the supplementary tea because it guarantees you a seat in a viewing area that you haven't been bothered to seek out earlier.

>You could look at it another way and consider this afternoon tea arrangement was just made for ship enthusiasts.

It could be quite possible that non ship enthusiasts sit in the Observatory all day "Gongoozling".

Afternoon tea stirs these people up. There are pros and cons.

But would so many go to one of the restaurants if the afternoon tea was offered there?

I certainly wouldn't.

John

You grumbly lot.

I am really looking forward to our cruise in July and I have no doubt that we shall try out the afternoon tea. And lets be fair - £5.95 isn't a lot is it compared to cost of the cruise. I paid £42 each for tea at the Ritz last year now that is a bit toppy. And dont even ask about the Orient Express.

We are intending to miss out lunch on a couple of sea days and do the tea instead so if you are on Balmoral in July come on over and have a cake or two with us.

You appear to be suggesting that you only go for the supplementary tea because it guarantees you a seat in a viewing area that you haven't been bothered to seek out earlier.

I would respond that your comment is around 50% accurate.

I also like nice afternoon teas served in a nice location!

To be honest Fred's is in danger of becomming slightly better than a nice hotel on Dartmoor that I also frequent.

In VFM terms Fred is better (£5.95 vs £12.95) - but Fred's cream did not appeare to be clotted!

But Fred's sandwiches etc were as good and my Dartmoor location doesn't keep topping up.

I actually had to stop the Fred Olsen stewardess giving us more in the end on one of the days.

John

I am constantly amazed at the negative comments this idea is receiving and the apparent lack of understanding that this is a secondary option to the regular afternoon tea. Perhaps there are those who would like to sail on a "Chairman Mao Cruise line" concept where all cabins are one size and style, all inside, only one choice of starter, soup, salad, main course and dessert. Only one type of wine, tea, coffee - all for the same inclusive price...... it's 2010 everybody not 1972... get a grip people, its this very narrow horse blinkered approach thats stops the cruise line and hotel industry moving forward.

"Chairman Mao Cruise line" concept where all cabins are one size and style, all inside, only one choice of starter, soup, salad, main course and dessert.

:D:o:p;):):cool:

But I am afraid with Mao Line you do not get so many courses and have to clean your own cabin and in rotation you have to work in the kitchen: peeling potatoes or doing laundry etc.

You pay more - you get more.

Very easy rule.

The other way round would be the MSC Yacht Club concept:

you reserved the best tables for the Yacht Club guests in the main restaurant and everybody can see you that you get something else and you will never have a chance to get one of those tables.

Or another type: private functions for VIP customers like on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity when they have free cocktail in the best lounges and all others have no access.

Well they payed for it to be there - somehow.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived