Miscommunication re: pre cruise alcohol sale thru BV per John Heald

MamaTene

This is good news. We really enjoy being able to make drinks in the room especially if we have a balcony. We got good use out of our bottles of Bacardi rum and jack Daniels on our Elation Panama canal. (we had an OV) We also ordered 24 cokes and 24 diet cokes. Seemed they always went flat before I could make a second drink.

I was dreading telling my spouse about the change. Glad I did not have to.

Tom in Long Beach

Come on people.What else could people talk about?Surely NO ONE wants to talk about their actual cruise and answer unasked before questions?Imagine that happening.

answer an unasked question, eh? Now THAT I'd like to see:)

Just purchased through BV for my upcoming trip on June 5th!

Bottom line:

1 litre of Absolute Vodka = $40 ($27.99 at home + tax)

1 litre of Maker's Mark Bourbon = $60 ($33.99 at home + tax)

Home price with tax = $67.56

BV order = $100

Difference: $32.44 more than home price to have two bottles guaranteed to be waiting for us in our cabin upon arrival. No smuggling. No "walks of shame." and no chance of not having our liquor in the room the entire trip.

Conclusion: Totally worth it!!! :)

Where do you get 1litre bottles at???

All the stores around here have .750 litres and the large 1.75 litre bottles. :confused:

.750 litre of absolute =27.99 ( or 9.33 per 1/4 litre)

prorate that to a litre size bottle it would be 37.32 + taxes

:rolleyes:

Where do you get 1litre bottles at???

All the stores around here have .750 litres and the large 1.75 litre bottles. :confused:

.750 litre of absolute =27.99 ( or 9.33 per 1/4 litre)

prorate that to a litre size bottle it would be 37.32 + taxes

All the BV bottles are 1 liter

All the BV bottles are 1 liter

Exactly...so you can't fairly compair their price to a 3/4 of a litre bottle that you buy at home without prorating the cost for the difference in volume.

The bottles from BV are larger and will cost more than the smaller bottles you buy at home.

If you prorate the cost the BV is only a little bit more per ml unit cost.

that small difference and larger amount may be worth the extra few dollars to some who don't want the hassle of packing/smuggling or the extra wieght in their luggage, or just want the convienence. ;)

I was ready to shoot myself after reading your first sentence... then I read the second and put the gun down...

;)

I was talking to John last night about how frustrating it is that regardless of how often I post the facts that people still surface and complain about power strips, fans, etc...

:(

Mach, I really appreciate all the work you do to seek out the truth and calm the masses...I know it's not an easy task at times.

As for conspiracy theories, I actually did wonder from the beginning if the whole thing was a miscommunication. There are a number of ports where alcohol sales are very limited, especially on Sundays. My thought was they were trying to say that alcohol couldn't be delivered before sailing or until the second day...it got misinterpreted...spread like wildfire...huge uproar on CC...

Just my $0.02.

I was ready to shoot myself after reading your first sentence... then I read the second and put the gun down...

;)

I was talking to John last night about how frustrating it is that regardless of how often I post the facts that people still surface and complain about power strips, fans, etc...

I totally agree. Enough already with the power strips, fans, flat irons. Just bring em kids. Make sure in good operational condition and go for it!! :D

Mach, I really appreciate all the work you do to seek out the truth and calm the masses...I know it's not an easy task at times.

As for conspiracy theories, I actually did wonder from the beginning if the whole thing was a miscommunication. There are a number of ports where alcohol sales are very limited, especially on Sundays. My thought was they were trying to say that alcohol couldn't be delivered before sailing or until the second day...it got misinterpreted...spread like wildfire...huge uproar on CC...

Just my $0.02.

After reading on here that the alcohol sales had been stopped I called the BV department and said I wanted to buy a couple of bottles for a friends cruise and was informed that ALL hard alcohol sales had been stopped. So, maybe Carnival did have a miscommunication between the corporate level and their call centers, or maybe they changed their mind, or maybe someone got their butt chewed for making that decision. We will probabbly never know what actually happened.

However it initially came about and was resolved I don't care. Thank you to John and Host Mach for helping us out. I had sent an e-mail and received the exact same reply, so I'm happy I can purchase my somewhat overpriced bottle of Rum.:D

This is good news. We really enjoy being able to make drinks in the room especially if we have a balcony. We got good use out of our bottles of Bacardi rum and jack Daniels on our Elation Panama canal. (we had an OV) We also ordered 24 cokes and 24 diet cokes. Seemed they always went flat before I could make a second drink.

I was dreading telling my spouse about the change. Glad I did not have to.

Tom in Long Beach

You can also can coke? Pricing please, unless you mean the per can rate say from mini bar?

Also has anyone not gotten their pre-order on first day (excluding states that don't allow it -TX and?)

Just my $0.02.

Never have used Bonvoyage "gift" of ordering liquor bottle- will it really be in cabin upon arrival (sailing out of San Juan) or arrive after sail away time?

Isn't ironic we order it from BonVoyage dept or "gift dept?"

Just my $0.02.

Thanks, Cindy... you may well be right about the miscommunication to the agents. It could well be one of those things that was told to a person who told it to another person who told it to another person who sent out the email...

Mach, I moderate a non-travel related messageboard...I feel your pain. I also enjoy being a member here since I don't have any responsibilities. :D

Mach-My dh was a moderator of a Classical Guitar forum. It got to be too much for him because he took things to heart and personally. He finally relinquished the moderator job and now he's happily posting.

Hang in there!

From yesterdays blog:

A few days ago my friend Host Mach from Cruise Critic told me about a concern one of his members had when trying to order something from our Bon Voyage department. I put my investigative hat on and it seems that we made a bit of a boo boo ……..here is the official statement thingy.

“An unfortunate mis-communication occurred between our Bon Voyage department and call centers which led to the dissemination of incorrect information to our reservations agents. To clarify, we have not ceased alcohol sales, either pre-cruise or during the sailing, through Bon Voyage and apologize for any misunderstanding or confusion

Does this affect those who like to criticize smugglers?? Probably not. Those who use BV should buy more from the bars onboard to prevent potential revenue losses from the mixers!!:rolleyes:

Okay I have my booking number and logged into the CCL site. Where do they hide the booking form to pre purchase the liquor and wine [packages ??

You can't order online. You need to call the Bon Voyage department to order alcohol.

:)

Host Mach- Really really appreciate the job you do in attempting to get the "facts" out there on cc and understand how frustrating it can be at times regardless of how often you post the "current facts" that you need to keep posting over and over but if Carnival would get it right in the first place you wouldn't need to be doing all the damage control that's been needed this year. The unprofessionalism Carnival's been displaying over the past months each time they change a policy (or not;)) and then turn around and change it again to fix their lack of thought or what ever the reason was for the first disasterous change is where the real frustration should be aimed. You deserve a major bonus check from Carnival this year- or maybe a few years worth of free cruises for ALL you've done everytime they've messed up this year.

Archived